"Vaccine Friendly" ped in Atlanta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - first time poster here. I'm 34 weeks prego and looking for a pediatrician recommendation in Atlanta. (I live intown.) Is this the right place to post this?

When my 6 year old was in recently for her yearly checkup I asked her doc how she felt about a delayed vaccination schedule. She said she would try her best to talk me out of it. (I did everything with my first child very mainstream, but have some different ideas now.)

So it sounds like if I want an alternative vaccine schedule, I might need to find a new pediatrician. I looked on the Dr Sears site, but all of those docs would be about an hour away from where we live.

The way our family eats is a little out of the norm, too. We don't eat grains or dairy (ideally). I left my first OB after a lecture about whole grains. Hopefully a doc who is open minded about vaccinations will also be open minded about diet.

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Moving over to FYT for more visibility.
#3 of 6 Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Dr Marion Owen

momma to 4!
#4 of 6 Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM

We go to Dr. Jill Overcash, but she's in Lawrenceville. It's off the Riverside Pkwy exit on 316. We live nearby, so that's easy for us. It takes us about 30 minutes to get intown without traffic, so you have to decide if that is doable.

We selectively vaccinate, with nothing before age 2, and she has worked with me to make that happen. She's fine with Dr. Sears schedule, her own delayed/alternative schedule, or she'll work with you to find a schedule that works with your family.

I find her very respectful of the choices we've made for our family. Her office is small, very little waiting, and we really like her.
#5 of 6 Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I've heard lots of Moms say they like Dr Kute in Alpharetta off of Webb Bridge Road (I think it is called Chattahoochee Pediatrics, but I may be mistaken) I met her one time, and she was open to choices in vax, but still requires you sign a statement that you have declined a vax and if supposedly if you change anything on the form the office doesn't like that. I ended up finding another Dr a little closer to our house, but continue to hear good things about her willingness to work with parents. She is also a lactation consultant, so she is a big BFing supporter. It is Dr Kute and only 1 other physician, who apparently shares the same philosophy, but I didn't meet her.

We go to a Family Dr in Johns Creek called Oak Tree Family Medicine, he is the only doc in the practice. So far he has been open to our choices and will engage in discussion with me about it, though has encouraged certain vaxes. I haven't been asked to leave the practice for our choices and he has never read me the riot act b/c of declining vaxes. I wish Dr Marion Owen was a little closer (she's in Decatur, right?) as she seems like she'd be a good fit for our family.
#6 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM

I second this (and third and fourth this) she's amazing !
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
Dr Marion Owen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page