Atlanta, GA Pediatrician HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our pediatrician is an idiot! North Atlanta Pediatrics. Please help us find a pediatrician that won't shovel medication down our one month olds mouth, before discussing formula/breastfeeding options...that's what they did with Zantac. Took it upon myself to get a hospital grade pump and get her off of formula entirely. Our 2 month appointment is coming up, and I'm sure they're going to have a fit when I tell them that she won't be getting all of those shots on the list on that day. We will get them all, just more spread out. It's absurd to give a 2 month old HepB, Rota, Dtap, Polio and that other one all on one day....

Looking for a pediatrician who is kind, compassionate, an educator, and a good listener. Currently living in East Atlanta Village. Please advise! Thank you! <3

#2 of 14 Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When we lived in Atlanta we used Dr. Stiefel. He is quite caring and did let us space out the vaccines and didn't push antibiotics. Also, he didn't blink on our intact son. He had three kids of his own when I left town.

You might call and see if he will chat with you... see if you click.

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/dr-william-stiefel-md-c5b6b1c8

#3 of 14 Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM

we see carrol herrmann at rainbow kids pediatrics in decatur. she's great! very holistic, flexible with vaccs, and suggests alternative therapies (chiro, homeopathic, etc).

#4 of 14 Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM

I second Dr Herrmann. We just switched to her at my son's 2 year well visit and I really like her so far. I wish we would have switched earlier!

#5 of 14 Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM

We've been using Dr Herrmann since DS was 2 months old (he's now 23 months) and she's wonderful. Never gives me a hard time about spreading out vaxes/ delaying (still waiting to get MMR). She even suggested an alternative order to which I was planning on doing the vaccinations with very good reason (we were using the Dr Sears' Vax book). I love that she breastfed all her 3 children and coslept with them all. Her conversion to cosleeping story is really great. We live in Inman Park and her office is very convenient.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#6 of 14 Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenner42 View Post

I second Dr Herrmann. We just switched to her at my son's 2 year well visit and I really like her so far. I wish we would have switched earlier!

Hi!!

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#7 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 AM

We have seen Dr. Herrmann & also Dr. Sells at Intown Pediatrics (in the Cabbagetown area) --- both take a natural approach to baby wellness & both are open to alternative vaccination schedules.

#8 of 14 Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Just wanted to pipe up and say that in our experience Dr Sells is not "open" about alternate vaccine schedules. When we asked her about them in Summer of 09, she put up quite a protest about it, plying us with literature about why we should vax on schedule and giving us a lecture about why alternatre schedules are bad for babies. She eventually admitted that she would allow an alternate schedule if we insisted but not happily. We stayed anyway and only see Chris (the nurse practitioner) there. 

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#9 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM

I have to 3rd (or 4th or 5th!) Dr. Herrmann.  She is awesome!  Totally cool with my super delayed vaxing (I just started a select few vaxes when my girls were 5 and 7) and every time I go in she gives us some kind of info on plans for our vegetarian diet, breathing exercises for my 8 yr old with anxiety, natural supplements, etc.  She doesn't throw antibiotics at you, either.  Plus, each time we are there, she spends 30 mins with us... she even answers the phone!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#10 of 14 Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Anyone know what Dr. Hermann's office hours are? and/or if she takes well baby visits on Saturdays?

#11 of 14 Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM

The hours vary depending on the day of the week...at least one early morning to accommodate before school visits. Pretty sure they're closed on Saturdays. Give the office a call and they can give you all the info you need: Rainbow Kids Pediatrics 404.378.1998 Good luck!
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I love Dr Chou at Clairmont Pediatrics.  She's 100% behind me with non-vaxing of my two boys and she gives natural remedies as often as not.  Dr Price is the head of the practice and she too supports us, though she's a bit more medically minded -- I kind of like having both types in the same office.  I really can't say enough about Dr Chou though -- she's always observing your child, even when you think she's not doing much.

#13 of 14 Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM

I 6th, 7th, 8th??? Dr. Hermann.

It really really depends on your personality and how that meshes (or doesnt) with the ped.  AINH and I are friends - and at her recommendation I tried out Dr. Chou after a year of always leaving Dr. Sells office annoyed.  (and yes, chris is an exception).  I did not care for Dr. Chou, and was beginning to think maybe my expectations were unreasonable.  I finally had a visit with Dr. Hermann and really like her.  

Dr. Sells has no issue letting you know what she thinks - even in her body language.  Dr. Chou is quiet and very observant.  I needed someone somewhere in the middle.  

Hope you guys find a good match!

32 - son born 9/21/09
#14 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 AM

Dr Marion Owen.  She is amazing.  We used to use Dr Herrman but switched to Dr Owen.  Our whole family sees her.  We moved 45 min away but make the drive back in town just for her.  She is fine with no/delay vacc and our intact son is not an issue.  Love her.

momma to 4!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page