Free/Low cost doula for low income military family in Cocoa Beach, FL? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My SIL is having her 2nd baby in March and really really needs a doula. There is a very good chance her husband is going to be deployed during the birth (Air Force) and while they plan to skype so he can 'be there', she really needs some hands on support.

The problem is that they're low income and she just can't afford to hire a doula. Are there any special programs for women with deployed spouses or many doulas that need to meet the # of births for certification that are doing births for free or low cost?

She's in Brevard County / Cocoa Beach and will be delivering at Cape Canaveral hospital.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 AM

I am a doula located in Tallahassee but I did my doula training with the Birth Company:

http://www.thebirthcompany.com/doulas/

They have a list of volunteer doulas (working on certification) and there are a couple in that area she could try contacting.

Have her contact Operation Special Delivery:  http://www.operationspecialdelivery.com/apply.htm

I know they have a Florida chapter, not sure if they have doulas in that area.  They should given the location.

She should be able to find someone.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I sent her both links. I don't think she'll qualify for the first, as he's just being deployed to Alaska for 6ish months and it's not a war area, but the second link should help her for sure.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1

User Tag List