Jacksonville, FL-- Two Questions (birthing at Shands and looking for PCP) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1. We're looking forward to a VBA2C in May. I'm trying to get Vanscriver to approve it, but I'm still waiting on her to contact me with a definite answer. She and several people have suggested Shands for an alternative, because they will "let" me deliver vaginally. DH and I are concerned about mom/baby rooming in together there. Basically, we want unrestricted rooming in with baby from the minute he's born and we don't want to leave his side if he "has" to be taken to the nursery. Has anyone delivered at Shands? Experiences? If we can't get what we want at Shands, we may just not sign up with an OB and show up at a hospital in late labor...

2. I'm looking for a PCP in Jacksonville. I'd prefer one that is more naturally minded, but I need asthma medicine filled on a monthly basis. Any suggestions for a good doc for Mommy?

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM

I don't know anything about delivering at Shands, but my doula had recommended an alternative OB to me if I wanted to go there. The name was Dr. Sanchez, and he/she does both VBACs and breech deliveries. I haven't been able to get any other info about them though, although I haven't pursued it either. Might be worth looking into if it doesn't work out with VanScriver.

Good luck!

Kim

Mama to one, wife to an aviator, lover of a cancer survivor, graduate student, blogger and all around good person
#3 of 4 Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Regarding a PCP for you: check out Dr. Madaffari (info below).  She was recommended to me by Dr. VS.  I've been seeing Dr. Madaffari for about a year and it is going well.  She is respectful of extended breastfeeding, which is very important to me.  And it turned out that she is friends and neighbors with my DD's ped, Dr. Ceron, which was a nice bonus.

Catherine Madaffari MD, 4745 Sutton Park Court Suite 701, Jacksonville,FL, 32224,United States, (904)821-0405

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#4 of 4 Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 AM

I haven't delivered at Shands myself, but when I was pregnant with my son three years ago, I heard that they were not very mother/baby or natural birth friendly because they are used to dealing with so many high risk cases.  I wish I had some good information for you, but I wanted to encourage you to pursue more information before you birth there.  Maybe they've changed some of their policies since then.  Good luck!! Hope all goes well!!

SAHM to DS June 2008 and baby on the way March 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page