Where are the Florida mamas & papas at? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What are your biggest parenting concerns?
My children don't listen. 5 83.33%
My kids fight one another constantly. 3 50.00%
Seems like I am always yelling. 3 50.00%
I sometimes feel like I have to bribe or threaten my kids to get them to do anything. 1 16.67%
I never have time for myself. 1 16.67%
Other - Please let us know what other concerns are on your mind. 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey mamas & papas,

Seems that our Florida tribe has gone into a little winter hibernation. Well, let's breathe some fresh life into our tribe.

Give us a shout out and let us know where you're at and what you're up to.

I'll begin with myself. I'm a mama of two. My boys are now ages 7 & 5. We live in La Crosse, FL, 20 mins north of G'ville. We've been living in the area for a year and a half, and prior to being Floridians lived in the southern, NJ area, NY & WV. In NJ we homeschooled and now our boys attend a local, vegetarian, Montessori school (5 mins from our home) where my husband and I volunteer. DH teaches co-operative sports/games and I teach yoga.

My husband is a SAHD and a Personal Growth Facilitator (a.k.a. Life Coach) and fitness coach for families and individuals. I am a yoga teacher, doula, CB educator, Reiki/Thai Massage practitioner and Zumba® Fitness Instructor. Our work allows us to be available for the boys, which we deeply enjoy and appreciate.

We'd love to connect with other holistic folks in the area that are interested in "simple living, high thinking", gentle parenting and healthy living or open to learning more about those topics.

How about you? Who's next?

Peace,

Ananga-manjari

a.k.a. Lovesprout

Kristina77 likes this.

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

#2 of 15 Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll be next!

I'm a mom of two girls.  Maiya is 2, and Jenevieve is still a bun in the oven, with an EDD of 2/7/11.  I work full time at the local library in the circulation department processing new materials and assisting patrons with the checking in and out of materials.  I find my passion to be based around food and the culinary arts.  I don't enjoy the breakneck pace of restaurant life, but I do love cooking and running a business.  I hope to merge the two interests one day!

My husband, Tom, and I have been married for 3 years. He works at a construction company performing technical drawings and estimates.  He is also a part-time undergrad student studying for a BS in electrical engineering, which is his true passion.

Our family has been living in the Daytona Beach metro area for 5 years.  Before that, Tom and I each had stints in NC (separately) and he grew up in Germany, while I grew up in Southern California.

Tom's parents watch Maiya when we are at work, which has its ups and downs, but it is free and my MIL & FIL really do care about her, so I try to not be too judgmental.

Our focus as a family is on gentle parenting and frugal, homemade living with a focus on experiences and family/friends over hyperconsumerism.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#3 of 15 Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Greetings Aidenn,

Thank you for sharing. Congratulation and blessings on the soon-to-be arrival of Jenevieve!!!

Wish you much success in bringing your passion/dream for the culinary arts and business to come in beautiful fruition.

I too worked in the Library field, as an Asst Research Librarian for nearly 7 years, until the birth of our first son, Nava. Though it's been 7.5 years now, since that part of my life, research is deeply embedded within me. :)

In regards to frugal living, I'm totally there with you. We've recently gone back to making our bread twice weekly, yogurt, kefir, cheese, raw crackers and laundry detergent. We'll also begin making kombucha, shortly. YAY!!! Some of our friends and us have started trading goods. For instance, tonight I traded my homemade cinnamon raisin bread for greens from my friends garden. I have another friend that trades attending my yoga classes for giving me a massage. I LOVE IT! Wishing one day we can all return to the days of yore when trading was the norm.

Looking forward to getting to know you more.

Peace,

Ananga-manjari

a.k.a. Lovesprout

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

#4 of 15 Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Hi!

I'm in the Deltona area so not too far. I go to school in Daytona occasionally. 

#5 of 15 Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 AM

Hi bellaSweets!

You're not far at all!  My in-laws live in Deltona and they watch my kids while I'm at work (I work at the DeLand Library!)

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#6 of 15 Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenn View Post

Hi bellaSweets!

You're not far at all!  My in-laws live in Deltona and they watch my kids while I'm at work (I work at the DeLand Library!)

What a small world! That used to be my library of choice when I was younger. I been living in Deltona since I was 8, went away to school and came back. We live kind of on the outskirts across from Deltona high. We so need to chat!
#7 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Hello to all my fellow Floridians.

I'm in Naples! I'm 35, married for almost 16 years and the mom of 2 girls 13 and 10. We've been on a rollercoaster trying to adopt for the past few years and finally had one heartbreak too many and decided to go the surrogate route. We're starting our first cycle in about 20 days and I'm so excited :)

#8 of 15 Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Greetings Harlow,

Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself and what's is currently going on in your life and how the adoption process has affected you emotionally. I hear adoption can be quite a trial. We are considering adoption but the idea of becoming attached to a child and then things falling through, I can only imagine, would be truly heartbreaking. greensad.gif

I wish you success, happiness and health as you continue on your surrogate-parenting journey. stillheart.gif

Peace,

Ananga-manjari

aka Lovesprout

#9 of 15 Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm in Brandon (Tampa Bay area) & have four kids. My oldest three go to public school (for now) & I will be homeschooling my youngest. We moved down here in August 09 from Michigan. I'm really enjoying the warmer weather!

#10 of 15 Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hey KrestelDream,

I hear ya about homeschooling. We never intended for our children to attend "traditional" school but here we are, though we are happy it's a small school comprising of 3 classrooms. We're riding the wave. However, homeschooling always on our mind. We enjoyed our old days of ease, ebb and flow and connection.

Oh, and I am also very much enjoying the milder winters here in Florida. We moved from the northeast. They have recently experienced several blizzards. BRR!!! cold.gif

Peace,

Ananga-manjari

aka Lovesprout

#11 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Hey mamas, I'm actually way south in Miami. I'm a Connecticut native (so glad I'm not there this winter although a couple of days of snow would be fun :)). DH is from France and our daughter turned four the day after Christmas was born in Argentina during a year abroad. We've lived in a bunch of places and right DH is working in Nashville until something opens up back in South Florida or even north Florida. He's an aviation contractor, by need, not by choice.

We are an unschooling family although we have thought about the local Sudbury School if dd decides she wants to try school. We practice gentle, non-coercive parenting and dd is still nursing and co-sleeping :)

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#12 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Me next!!! My name is Cierra, my hubby and I got married in June of last year, moved to the Palm Beach area in south Florida, then October had our first baby girl! I stay at home with our babylove(Emma) and our min pin Bella. We spend our days nursing, dancing around to music, tummy time, playing with Bella, learning, going for walks, napping, and just waiting for hubby to get home to hang out as a family! I recently bought a sewing machine so I can learn to make cloth diapers, and then I would like to try and advertise through the birth center where Emma was born. Also to try to learn to make other things to possibly sell on etsy, not really sure yet, well see when I can master the diapers. Also recently got into making our own detergent, household cleaning supplies, learning how to make shampoo and a few other things :) My husband works for a company out of California he works as a Field Service Engineer going into hospitals all over south Florida and fixing the urinalysis machines. We just moved from central Florida and relocated here for his work. We have only been together for a little over a year and half, but fell head over heals in love with each other right away, and been in the honeymoon stage ever since :) Emma was our missing link, we are now complete as a family! Our plans are to not sugar coat anything with her, to just be the best parents we can possibly be, by teaching her the truth about the world. We plan to home school when that comes around, or if it's not possible at the time, private school definitely. I do not want her in public school, period. Actually, I recently saw the thread on unschooling, would definitely be super interested in that. I first heard of it on I think peaceful parenting's fb page, and they had a shirt that said UNschooled, the way nature intended or something like that, love the thought of that. After moving down here and switching from an OB to a birth center at 36 weeks, the whole birth center opportunity has been such an inspiration to me, so much that some day I would love to open a birth center of my own, although I would have to be a licensed midwife in case I ever couldn't employ any of my own, I could start out as my own midwife/owner, but the thought of helping someone else through birth, iiiidkkk. Also I just do not agree with interventions and pain medication so if they changed their mind, I could understand and whatnot, but definitely couldn't agree, so I think that would hold me back a little. Oh my gosh, I'm just rambling enough about me. I hope someone that lives close writes soon, I would love to have a play date for Emma she's only been around a few babies, and I would love to expose her to other babies to play with, learn from, and grow together. :) (Hopefully this all makes sense, a little scatterbrained today, if you can't tell :p )

I am a SAHM to a 21 mo and number 2 due sometime in January smile.gifhippie.giftreehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg sewmachine.gif caffix.gif

My hubby and I are madly in lovepartners.gif and loving the life we are creating.
Baby love born naturally 10.14.10  familybed1.gif  ecbaby2.gif saynovax.gif slinggirl.gifcd.gif bfinfant.gif
#13 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Cierra,

Sounds like you have a wonderful enthusiasm for all things homemade and home learning. I wish you much joy on your parenting journey.

Peace,

Ananga-manjari

aka Lovesprout

#14 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Hello, ladies! I recently moved to Vero Beach from Southern California this past November. I am originally from Florida (Vero Beach, St. Augustine and Orlando), but it has been 10 years since I have been back. It is my husband (for 10 years), my son (almost 18 months), our fantastic dog and our three kitties. It was quite the move. We had to orchestrate confirming my husband's job, selling our house, planning a cross country move and securing a rental in a matter of months. I swear, the universe must have been smiling on us, because the transition couldn't have gone any smoother.

Now that we are here, we are in the same city as my parents and my brother and his family. My husband's are a couple of hours away as well as my sister. Going from no family back to lots of family has been just amazing for our son. He absolutely loves them all!! :)

As for parenting, we tend to fit more into the AP spectrum of things, even if we aren't quite as hardcore as a lot of the mamas on here. I try to feed our family as much organic and local as possible, but am not as strict about it as I would like to be. Still working on that one. Right now, I am a SAHM, but trying to figure out if that is where I want to be. After I had my son (when he was 6 months old), I did go back to work part-time and I enjoyed that. Trying to find my happy medium right now.

I'm off to go fishing at the beach. Hope you all have a lovely, sunny Florida day!!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#15 of 15 Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 PM

I lived in Gainesville for about 7 years, and we moved back up to CT ( I am a NE native) a little over 2 years ago- this time of year I really miss Florida!!!

I am just popping in to say good luck/ congratulations to Harlow- I am 27 weeks pg with twins as a GC and I hope your journey goes smoothly and easily!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page