Need candid information about Orlando area homebirth midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since MDC cannot host any negative reviews, can you please PM me if you have something less than stellar to say about a midwife.

I want to explore my options WRT the midwives in the Orlando area.  I definitely want a homebirth (had one previously) but there are a few things about my current midwife that are giving me second thoughts.  I would love to hear the good and the bad about the midwives you know (or even know of).  Some of the things I'm interested in are medical knowledge including how much she is into alternative vs. standard medicine, what kind of prenatal tests she gives, and anything about hospital transfers.  Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?

I want to be clear that I'm not only soliciting negative reviews, I just want to hear everything.  And some things that are plusses for some women would be deal-breakers for others.  I find it important to get information from other mothers and I know no one IRL who has had a homebirth. 

#3 of 8 Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM

I witnessed my sisters birth at Heart 2 Heart Birth Center in Sanford. From her accounts, I believe that she would recommend the center. It might be worth a look!

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

#4 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I've also heard a lot of good things about Heart 2 Heart but I'm not looking for a birth center birth.  I need to be at home to feel comfortable to have a natural birth.

#5 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

The MWs at H2H do hbs too. I had them for my first birth (for a bc birth though) This time I'm seeing Kelly Johnson and as I'm very early on I don't feel comfortable giving a big review yet. I do like her thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Oh I forgot to add that there are a few groups you can join that have women who have had hbs. An online one is Orlando Peaceful Parenting, on yahoo groups. If you'd rather meet in person we have a babywearers meeting that doesn't mind talking about hb either. I can pm you the link to the bws if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#7 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM

I had a terrific experience with Kelli Johnson, and if I'm fortunate enough to have a third child will go back to her.  One of my very dear friends is apprenticing with her right now, and another friend is also apprenticing with her-I don't know if those are the only students she has right now. 

I was very happy with Kelli...she's not the right match for everyone though...I know, for example, that one of my friends was very unhappy in her care,  and that's why it's great to have options.  I know a number of my friends have used Diane Albright (All Bright Beginnings) for homebirths-her office is in Altamonte Springs.  Kaleen Richards, from Heart2Heart in Sanford has also opened her own practice, part of which is homebirth-she's a CNM I think, which may affect the regulations governing who she can take on as a client and what her limitations are-licensure for CNMs is different.  I don't remember the name of her practice though-Tree of Life is ringing a bell, but I don't know for sure.   I don't know if Robyn Mattox (who took over the Birthing Cottage from Alice Pilay and then changed it's name) does homebirth-she's in Winter Park, but that may be a birth center only option.  She's Inspiration Midwifery, I think.  I don't think I know anyone who has birthed with Karen Bove, but she's another option in the area for a homebirth..  

You have a couple of local options for homebirth. I hope you can find someone who is the right match for you. 

#8 of 8 Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM

Kaleen who used ot be at heart2heart still works separately and does home births from what I hear. So does Michelle who owns heart2heart. My third child was delivered by Kaleen at that center and it was great too.:)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page