If you could live anywhere in Florida, where would it be? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In Miami there is a lot of crime and just waaaaaay to many people, and too much pretentiousness. It seems to me(and this is jmo, but I did live there for 25 years) that all most people care about is how much money you have, who your friends are, and what you look like. It's all fake, and pretty much spiritually void. Not to mention that the public school system in Florida is seriously lacking, or at least it was when I was in it.

Orlando is a tad bit better in that respect, but my perspective of the city was from working in the restaurant and bar business, which allowed me to witness the amount of people that do drugs on a regular basis. That's in any city though, the more people there are in a given area, the more craziness you're going to see. Ever since we moved to the country I just can't imagine raising my kids in a big city. Just my 2 cents.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#32 of 38 Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post

In Miami there is a lot of crime and just waaaaaay to many people, and too much pretentiousness. It seems to me(and this is jmo, but I did live there for 25 years) that all most people care about is how much money you have, who your friends are, and what you look like. It's all fake, and pretty much spiritually void. Not to mention that the public school system in Florida is seriously lacking, or at least it was when I was in it.

Orlando is a tad bit better in that respect, but my perspective of the city was from working in the restaurant and bar business, which allowed me to witness the amount of people that do drugs on a regular basis. That's in any city though, the more people there are in a given area, the more craziness you're going to see. Ever since we moved to the country I just can't imagine raising my kids in a big city. Just my 2 cents.

Native Floridian here, and I agree 100%.  Orlando and Miami is just urban sprawl and hospitality industry run amok.  Don't get me started on South Florida... it might be a nice place if it weren't for the Skunk Ape, haha.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#33 of 38 Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post

Native Floridian here, and I agree 100%.  Orlando and Miami is just urban sprawl and hospitality industry run amok.  Don't get me started on South Florida... it might be a nice place if it weren't for the Skunk Ape, haha.

The Skunk Ape??!! lol

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#34 of 38 Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM

skunk ape is a really terrific ipa made by florida brewing... but, um, i'm think i'm posting on the wrong forum... ;)

first time mama-to-be, due sometime in the last half of october. avid smart ass, trivia player, roller derby official, aspiring political hack, and android addict.

#35 of 38 Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post

Born and raised in Miami and I also agree 100%. It is HORRIBLE. Now that I have children I am REALLY considering moving else where. All my family is here but it really is not a good place to raise children IMO.

#36 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM

We moved from FL up to Georgia for DH'a new job. But I still dearly miss it and it definitely feels way more like home when we visit. We lived just south of Gainesville in a cute little town called Micanopy. Lots of artists, musicians, and beautiful quirky folks. And only 10 minutes to Gainesville with all it's college town attractions. Runner- up recommendation would be where I went to college, Sarasota. Right on the gulf and I sure miss all that tropica fruit. Good luck with your move!

#37 of 38 Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM

#38 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM

I love Jacksonville.  It's not so bad as people say, you just have to find your niche.  I know plenty of crunchy moms and we always need some more to build up the community!   I grew up here and have lived lots of other places, but I came back.  It's a nice place to raise a family, is beautiful in many areas (beach/river), and overall is a pretty simple place.  I think often people try to compare it to a big city and say there is nothing to do, and it does lean conservative politically.  However, I wouldn't describe it as rural... after reading your initial post, I definitely thought of Gainesville.  It's a great place with a great community, and there are lots of rural areas all around.  Check it out!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page