Pediatrician in/around Gainesville, GA?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live near Gainesville, GA and are currently driving about an hour and a half to see a pediatrician with a more natural approach. I really like her but it's just too far! I have a 19 month old who is still breastfeeding and a 3 year old. Both have gluten intolerance and other food sensitivities and the 19 month old possibly has allergies. We are currently not doing any vaccinations as we are undecided on the issue. We are also cosleepers :) I really like the idea of a pediatrician who understands the more natural approach to parenting and doesn't push antibiotics and vaccines. Any recommendations? I'm willing to drive up to about 45 min but and hour and a half is just too far. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with Dr. Stephanie Corn in Dahlonega GA??

#3 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 12:50 PM

I wish I could help. We drive to see Dr. Kute in Alpharetta. Im not sure if thats who you see. Im in FB/Buford area (about 20 mins south of Gville.)

Im not thinking she would be that far from you though esp if you are in the 400 side.. cause then you could just shoot down 400 and be there in under an hour.

Mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doula, MW apprentice, Photographer, Foster/adoptive mom, twin mom and advocate for much.
#4 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I would love to see Dr. Kute, I've heard really great things about her, but it's about as far as the one we're seeing now. We're about half an hour north of Gainesville. Dr. Corn in Dahlonega does free meet the physician appointments so I think I'll try her. It would only be about 25 min from us so not bad at all! From what I can see on her website she looks pretty good. Don't get me wrong, It's worth a drive to see a good doctor but gas is just so high and my girls are so young, long car rides are not a lot of fun for little ones :p

#5 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

My daughter has been seeing Dr. Corn since birth (she's now 21 months old) and we LOVE LOVE LOVE her!! My daughter has Trisomy 18 (a rare chromosomal disorder that is unfortunately considered "incompatible with life"), and we couldn't ask for a better physician for her than Dr. Corn!!  I have a large network of parents of Trisomy 18 children that I connect with on Facebook and the common theme among so many (too many) is that the physicians refuse to treat these children, they are refused life saving medications and surgeries simply because they have an extra chromosome..  I can honestly say, we have NEVER had this issue with Dr. Corn!! Whenever we have a question or concern, she is diligent about responding!!  I truly feel one of the reasons my daughter survived her birth was because of the care Dr. Corn gave her.  She went above and beyond in those first precious hours of my daughter's life and still does!!  She is wonderful to my daughter and never treats me like a nuisance (I'm pretty sure that I am) or talks down to me!!  She is patient, understanding, kind, and above all else an excellent physician!!

I hope this helps you make your decision..  

#6 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Lisap426~ Thanks so much for your reply! I've never heard of Trisomy 18 but I'm so glad that you have a physician who understands it and is willing to treat you and your family like everyone else! It's so sad to know that there are doctors out there that would refuse to treat a child just because they have a rare disorder. Thank you so much for your positive review of Dr. Corn! I have a "meet the provider" visit with her this afternoon and I'm sure I'm going to like her. Maybe we'll see each other in the waiting room sometime :)

#7 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh P.S. you should go on google and leave a comment for her, there's only two comments on there and they're not positive. Mostly have to do with wait times, for some though having to wait to see a good doctor is well worth it!

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=dahlonega+pediatrics&fb=1&gl=us&hq=pediatrics&hnear=Dahlonega,+GA&cid=3859467049815821099

#8 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I met with Dr. Corn and she was very nice but I'm just not sure if she fits us. She didn't seem to like it when I said we were in the middle when it comes to vaccines and she didn't know Dr. Sears has his own schedule for vaccines. I think I was just expecting someone a little more down to earth. But again, she was VERY nice. Maybe we should have just stuck with our original ped who is about 20min away :p I've considered going back to him but I'm afraid he'll think we're flaky for leaving the practice and then coming back. I'm at a loss, not sure what to do....sigh.

#9 of 14 Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

I love Dr. Overcash at All about Pediatrics.  She knows that I delay vax extend breastfeed and erf car seat.  She is very supportive.  I am not sure how close that is to you but I love her. 

#10 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamom2007 View Post

I love Dr. Overcash at All about Pediatrics.  She knows that I delay vax extend breastfeed and erf car seat.  She is very supportive.  I am not sure how close that is to you but I love her. 

I have looked into that practice before but never really knew much about them. So she's not pushy when it comes to those things, especially the vax issue?  To me there's nothing worse than an arrogant doc who wants to push their views on you :p Another thing that's really important for me is to find a ped who takes my girl's food intolerance's serious and doesn't just blow it off. We've had that experience in the past. I find that doctor's with a more natural approach seem to take food intolerance's and food allergies a little more serious. I actually just made an appointment with Dr. Kute in Alpharetta (it's still about an hour from us) but would definitely be open if there's a really good doc closer by.

#11 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwomonkies View Post

I have looked into that practice before but never really knew much about them. So she's not pushy when it comes to those things, especially the vax issue?  To me there's nothing worse than an arrogant doc who wants to push their views on you :p Another thing that's really important for me is to find a ped who takes my girl's food intolerance's serious and doesn't just blow it off. We've had that experience in the past. I find that doctor's with a more natural approach seem to take food intolerance's and food allergies a little more serious. I actually just made an appointment with Dr. Kute in Alpharetta (it's still about an hour from us) but would definitely be open if there's a really good doc closer by.

Actually, you know what...I have them confused with a practice in Gainesville GA :p She would be about as far as Dr. Kute is from us. Thanks for the recommendation!

#12 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyandgnome View Post

I wish I could help. We drive to see Dr. Kute in Alpharetta. Im not sure if thats who you see. Im in FB/Buford area (about 20 mins south of Gville.)

Im not thinking she would be that far from you though esp if you are in the 400 side.. cause then you could just shoot down 400 and be there in under an hour.

Have you ever seen the other doctor in the practice, Dr. Lavania? That's actually who our first appointment is with.

#13 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwomonkies View Post

Have you ever seen the other doctor in the practice, Dr. Lavania? That's actually who our first appointment is with.

Actually, yes, I have and she is probably my fav out of the two to be honest. She is a somewhat new dr, very young but pays more attn to your needs IMO/ concerns. For everyday kind of work.. I like her best. For Nursing and your first visit with a baby who was homebirthed.. I like Kute Best. Overall, I think the two are a great combo.

Mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doula, MW apprentice, Photographer, Foster/adoptive mom, twin mom and advocate for much.
#14 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyandgnome View Post

Actually, yes, I have and she is probably my fav out of the two to be honest. She is a somewhat new dr, very young but pays more attn to your needs IMO/ concerns. For everyday kind of work.. I like her best. For Nursing and your first visit with a baby who was homebirthed.. I like Kute Best. Overall, I think the two are a great combo.

Awesome, thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page