Recent birth experiences at AMC with Intown Midwifery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey folks,

I'm due in about 3 weeks to give birth with the lovely women of Intown Midwifery at AMC. I remember reading some positive posts about labor/birth experiences on here when IM first started at AMC. I'd love to hear more recent accounts. So far, the main complaint I've heard is about the food which is not a deal breaker for me. I had my 1st son at North Fulton and found their food pretty lacking too.

Anyway--anybody want to talk about their recent AMC birth experiences? Things you liked/didn't like or wish you'd known ahead of time? I found out only a few weeks ago that my son won't be allowed in to visit us because of the ban on kids under 12 which is a bummer but we're hoping to get home as soon as possible anyway.

Thanks!

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#2 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM

I had my daughter at AMC on Tuesday morning with IM. It was a fabulous experience, despite me screaming for 8 hours :) The nurse I had was fantastic, and supportive of my desire for a natural birth, even when I was begging for an epidural (I didn't have one). I had an amazing doula, and did a waterbirth. I do know I got the last liner for the birth pool, so someone who came in after me had to deliver in the shower since they couldn't use any more pools, which is a bummer, but they were incredibly busy the night I was there. The delivery room was fine, no complaints, my recovery room was tiny but I have heard they have bigger ones as well. Because they were so busy I think the recovery floor nurses were not as prompt with stuff as they should have been, but I had no complications so it wasn't a big deal for me. The food was horrible, but my husband went out and got us Highland Bakery for lunch and Fritti for dinner, so I didn't have to eat it! My son couldn't come visit either, but my daughter was born at 5:48 am and we left the next day at noon, so just a little over 24 hours. If you give birth in May then I believe your child could come, I think the ban is from Sept to May, so I don't know if that includes May? Anyway, hope this helps, I had a great experience!

#3 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations!! And thanks for the info. I had an appointment with the midwives Wednesday which had to be rescheduled due to 11 women being in labor Tuesday. Not sure if you were counted as one of the 11 but "incredibly busy" is right! I'm so glad to hear you had a fantastic labor nurse. My biggest worry has been that the labor nurses will treat me like I'm high-maintenance or a bother b/c I want to be unmedicated.

Anyway, thanks again for the info and I hope your newly expanded family is doing well! 

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#4 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM

An acquaintance of mine just had her 2VBAC at AMC this past week. I haven't spoken with her, but I got the impression they were quite happy with the care they got from Anjli during the birth.

I'm planning to birth there in September, and ideally I hope to leave before 24 hours if at all possible. I birthed with Margaret at NF and I left after about 5 hours, that was as close to an ideal hospital birth as I can picture. I also plan to send my hubby out to Zesto's for a cheeseburger. Seriously amazing food. I'm sure I really don't want to know the ingredients, but it's delicious.

According to Amy and Anjli, the nurses have been supportive of what they're doing so far, and if your nurse acts like you're a bother because you're working for an unmedicated birth, kick her out and demand a new nurse. You don't have to stick with whatever nurse you get randomly! Do you have a doula, or a trusted friend/family member who can come along for your labor and help support you?

#5 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM

My nurse asked me up front if I wanted medication and I said no, and then she asked me if she should even bring it up at any point in my labor, and I said no, and she didn't (even when I was begging for it, and she and my doula helped talk me down!). I really had a great nurse, and Anjli was fantastic. I will be the first to admit I was not an easy patient, especially at the end.

Also, I know my daughter was the 6th baby born in 24 hours for Anjli, and that was early Tuesday morning, and I know she had more in labor, so it was a crazy couple of days for them!

#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Anjli caught my first bub at North Fulton two years ago so I'd love to have her again. And yes, I have a doula this time, thank goodness. I forgot that I can make her be the bad guy if necessary. Thanks for the reminder although it sounds like I may have supportive nurses anyway. 3 more weeks... (hopefully)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page