New to all this--and contact info for Kay & Margaret - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone--I'm new to all this and trying to get some basic info on natural childbirth. My husband and I are trying to conceive and I definitely want to have a natural birthing experience. From what I can see, Kay Johnson and Margaret Strickhouser are the way to go. Does anyone know which groups they are currently working with and the best way to contact them?

Additionally, we have private insurance and maternity is NOT covered so we'll be paying everything out-of-pocket. I know using a midwife instead of a normal practice is less expensive but does anyone know what kind of total amt. we should expect?

Thanks for all your help! :)

#2 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Can you tell us what state & city you are in?

That might help us find the people you are looking for.

The average here seems to be over $3500 for cash pay. That doesn't include any labs, tests, or supplies.

#3 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Margaret is with Intown Midwifery - www.intownmidwifery.com

Kay is doing homebirths now - www.gamidwife.com

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#4 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM

I just got my bill from IM and the charges were $3500, and the pp was correct, they don't include tests or u/s.

#5 of 10 Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 PM
CEG

Not to discourage you from using  midwife, but the costs are  pretty similar whether you use an OB or midwife.  It's around $3500.  The larger portion of the bill will be the hospital bill which is the same whether it's an OB or midwife-- although in theoy it will be a little cheaper with a midwife due to fewer interventions.

That said, I really recommend Intown Midwifery (Margaret).  They are great.  I have met Kay ams she seems lovely but I don'y have experience as a patient.

#6 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I saw Kay and Margaret for my youngest child's birth, in 2006. They were both working at North Fulton at that time. I'm excited to see Kay has begun attending home births. She didn't seem the type to put up with hospital policy BS, based on the conversations we had. She told me one of her favorite "birth stories" at one visit. Basically the woman birthed her child unassisted (at her request) in the hospital with Kay waiting outside in the hall until she was asked for, only peeking in to check every so often.

I am currently with Intown midwifery, and so far I am very happy. Margaret has been out of the office due to her broken foot and the death of her husband, but she's expected back once she recovers. The other midwives, Anjli and Amy, have been awesome. They also just hired a new midwife to cover office visits when there are a lot of ladies in labor (like last month)!

As to how much you can expect to pay, that will vary widely based on which midwife you see, what tests you opt for, and whether or not you experience any complications. If you call the various offices, they should be able to tell you a basic ballpark figure of what to expect, and whether they offer any payment plan arrangements.

#7 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post

The other midwives, Anjli and Amy, have been awesome. They also just hired a new midwife to cover office visits when there are a lot of ladies in labor (like last month)!

Anjli is awesome :)  Amy is not going to be with IM much longer and they are looking for another midwife to replace her.  Margaret will be back soon.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#8 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Aw, well that's too bad, I liked Amy the couple of visits I had with her. I hope they find someone else quickly, they seem like they're staying very busy.

BTW, I have also had occasion to meet Dr. Bootstaylor, their backup physician. My ultrasound revealed an abnormal amount of fluid on the baby's kidneys, which is minor, but needs to be watched if it's still there after birth as it can cause infection, and an untreated infection can damage the kidneys.

Anyhow, Dr. Bootstaylor was very kind, professional, and explained everything clearly.

#9 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM

He's awesome too.  He participates on the ICAN of atlanta forum, has let GBN and ICAN have a few events at his office, and he and most of his staff were at the Cesarean Awareness Rally last month orngbiggrin.gif

he also is interviewed in this documentary about cesareans/vbacs (as well as dr tate and featuring some local ICAN'ers) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkga6GP6SWY

#10 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM

I had a wonderful intervention free birth with Kay at N Fulton. I'm now with Intown Midwifery for my second - that sucks about Amy leaving! Though it sounds like Margaret will soon be back.

Home birth is the cheapest option. I thought that midwives charged less than OBs. But they're still you're best option for a cheaper birth like pp said because you're less likely to have costly interventions. Try not to stay in the hospital long either. Our post partum room cost $1000/ night! Glad we only stayed one night!

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page