Mothering Forum banner

Home birth in Alabama

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  singlemindedme 
#1 ·
i need help I'm in search of a midwife that would be willing to deliver my baby in my home in Alabama!!!

#7 ·
Hi ladies - There is a bill up for a vote in the Alabama legislature that would make it legal for mid-wives to attend hb in Alabama! If you can, please take the time call the senators on the health care committee and encourage them to support the mid-wife bill (SB314)!!!

For more information...

http://www.alabamabirthcoalition.org/blog/

Also, please help get the word out to other like minded women in Alabama!

#9 ·
I saw your post to isign and have to admit, it was really nice to know that someone else in the Mobile area felt the same way I do. I am not in Nursing school but even as a young kid, didn't like or understand why healthy women should have to have healthy babies in a hospital. I always questioned the process and started researching what other options there were because I never heard anyone suggest there were other options.

Would you be willing to forward me the information for the Christian Midwife. I am in Foley and have known for many years that I want a homebirth but don't want to have UC. I will be a first time mom and don't want to do this without a midwife but DO NOT want to go to a hospital to have my baby. Please help! - Kaycee

#11 ·
my husband and I are currently trying to get pregnant but scared of the rules here in Alabama. we live just south of tuscaloosa and would love some help finding a midwife for a home birth. a friend referred me to this site and its so nice to find open-minded people in this state with similar concerns!

#13 ·
Reyesaw and Kaycee - I just PM's you her number, in case nobody has given it to you yet. I think she prefers to not post it online.

#15 ·
I am having a home birth and live in Mobile. However I am NOT planning to have a home birth in AL. I am traveling to MS. If you are "found out" about having a planned home birth in AL, and its really likely when you start to go to pediatricians, getting birth certificates, etc, you can be fined, prosecuted, and even jail time. It is serious! And only makes it harder for those who are trying to have laws passed to make it legal and who are trying to get a positive word out about midwives! Please message me if you need info on a midwife.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobay View Post

I am having a home birth and live in Mobile. However I am NOT planning to have a home birth in AL. I am traveling to MS. If you are "found out" about having a planned home birth in AL, and its really likely when you start to go to pediatricians, getting birth certificates, etc, you can be fined, prosecuted, and even jail time. It is serious! And only makes it harder for those who are trying to have laws passed to make it legal and who are trying to get a positive word out about midwives! Please message me if you need info on a midwife.
forget it :)

#17 ·
It is my understanding that only the attending midwife can be fined or prosecuted. They cannot punish you for having a home birth. It is simply illegal for any midwife to attend a birth. Unless laws have changed since 2011 when I had my baby at home. I had a pediatrician call CPS on me but they informed me they could do nothing. I was unassisted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobay View Post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.