Moving to Alpharetta, Ga in December, looking for new like minded friends! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to meet some crunchy Mommas before I actually move to Ga.  I am excited, yet a little scared :p.  Is there any play-groups I should know about?

Thank you~

Desiree'

#2 of 18 Old 09-13-2011, 07:12 AM

I don't know of any playgroups, as I just moved to Cumming in May.  (Dh works in Alpharetta.)  But I'd love to meet some like minded mamas.  If nothing else, OP, we could get together or start one.  :-)  Are you going to be purchasing or renting?  Our realtor was good and I've found a good dentist & pediatrician.  The pedi I found through recommendations on MDC.  It took me months to find the right people, so if you're interested I can give you their info.

Good luck with your move!

Oh, I just noticed you're in West Bloomfield, MI.  I'm from Novi!  (Although I've been in Memphis the past 5 years.)  We'll actually be up there visiting family in a few weeks.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 bikenew.gif,  DS2 jog.gif, missing our angel.gif, and another babyf.gif on the way!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 belly.gif23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 18 Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness!  What a small world!  My DH will be working in Alpharetta too!  He works for Thysseen Krupp.  I would love to start a play group with like minded moms!  I noticed you have a blog, I couldn't help to read some of it...I loved all your photos!  I'm a photographer....so funny how much we have in common.  I have 3 boys, Brandon is 13 years old, Maddex is 4 years and Travis is 1 year.  We are so excited to move there.  However, sad that we are going to miss our big family.  I can't wait to explore Ga.  We love the outdoors so Ga should be perfect. 

Thanks for the ped info.  I do prefer a holistic doc.  We actually go to a holistic dentist here I'm hoping to find another in Ga or at least a fluoride & mercury free dentist.  Thanks for replying and I hope to meet you in the near future!  I am on facebook just search for Desiree Monica Dragin.

Have a great day!

~ Desiree'

#4 of 18 Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oops forgot to let you know that we will be renting for the 1st year or 2.  We actually have a realitor...thank you for asking smile.gif.

#5 of 18 Old 09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

I live in Alpharetta and I'm also originally from the Detroit area, LOL.  East side, though, Grosse Pointe/Harper Woods. 

We're a semi-crunchy homeschooling family with 3 kids and one on the way in January.  We live near Northpoint mall. :)

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#6 of 18 Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's AWESOME!!  Would love to meet you too some day!  It makes me so happy to know that I will have friends with very similar interests when I move!  Very cool!

#7 of 18 Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM

We're in Roswell.  My DD is older (9.5) so we don't really do play dates anymore.  But we're expecting another in May.  :)  I'm always open to meeting new friends. :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#8 of 18 Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm about to be a first time mom (preparing for a natural birth for our daughter, due October 14th) and I live in Duluth.  I'd love to meet some other moms in the area, and get some tips and advice on a pediatrician. 

#9 of 18 Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 AM

Guess everyone is up north huh??  I am in Conyers (southeast), and I have the hardest time finding mamas to hang out with nearby!  I am a single mama working full time, which limits my availability or ability to make it up to the north side!  I love Roswell though, wish I could afford to live up there.

#10 of 18 Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I found an awesome group for the Atlanta area babywearers!  Click on the link and join! https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/324425332789/   Would love to meet you all some time.  When I get settled in December we should set up something so we all can meet each other!  Take care, Des

#11 of 18 Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Whoops, for some reason I wasn't getting subscription updates for this thread, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Desiree- I'm so glad that you liked the photos on my blog!  If you'd be willing to critique the rest of the blog, I would love to hear what you have to say.  How cool that you're a photographer!  We love the outdoors too and just found a really neat camping place.  The mountains are gorgeous and only 45-60 min. away from us here in Cumming.  The local greenway trail is nice too. We definitely miss our family.  Orginally DH was looking for a job so we could move closer to family in MI, but the economy up there is still just awful.  This opened up and its really been perfect for us.   I'll look you up on facebook, but honestly I'm terrible about facebook, I'm hardly ever on there unless I get an email that a friend messaged me.  lol.  Let me know when you move down here & we can get together.  If you need any help with anything let me know. 

I'm so excited to meet some mamas that I'll have something in common with.  Like thorn I'd say we're "semi-crunhy".  :-)

Kidyll- where are you looking for a pedi? 

If anyone wants to get together before December let me know & we can set something up. 

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 bikenew.gif,  DS2 jog.gif, missing our angel.gif, and another babyf.gif on the way!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 belly.gif23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#12 of 18 Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 AM

I'm in the Hickory Flat/Canton area. DH works in Alpharetta, too. I'm also from Michigan. It really is a small world! I havw a fourteen year old in high school and 3 yo DD. I'd love to get together with you guys!
#13 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

I'd love to get to know some other moms in the area! I have a 3 year old that is always up for a play date and another one on the way in May. 

#14 of 18 Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste Amma View Post

I'm in the Hickory Flat/Canton area. DH works in Alpharetta, too. I'm also from Michigan. It really is a small world! I havw a fourteen year old in high school and 3 yo DD. I'd love to get together with you guys!

It really is a small world!  Almost the same ages as my 13 and 4 year old! 

#15 of 18 Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post

Whoops, for some reason I wasn't getting subscription updates for this thread, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Desiree- I'm so glad that you liked the photos on my blog!  If you'd be willing to critique the rest of the blog, I would love to hear what you have to say.  How cool that you're a photographer!  We love the outdoors too and just found a really neat camping place.  The mountains are gorgeous and only 45-60 min. away from us here in Cumming.  The local greenway trail is nice too. We definitely miss our family.  Orginally DH was looking for a job so we could move closer to family in MI, but the economy up there is still just awful.  This opened up and its really been perfect for us.   I'll look you up on facebook, but honestly I'm terrible about facebook, I'm hardly ever on there unless I get an email that a friend messaged me.  lol.  Let me know when you move down here & we can get together.  If you need any help with anything let me know. 

I'm so excited to meet some mamas that I'll have something in common with.  Like thorn I'd say we're "semi-crunhy".  :-)

Kidyll- where are you looking for a pedi? 

If anyone wants to get together before December let me know & we can set something up. 

No worries, I don't get notification either lol.  Look how long it's taken me to reply : ).  Wow everything you said about the outdoors sounds amazing!  Your pics are beautiful...nothing should be critiqued!  Yes, the economy is awful and the schools system is falling fast.  Our governor cut a lot from the schools.  We live in one of the best districts and it is definitely not what it was.  I'll miss my family a whole lot, however we will all be happier in Ga.  We are coming down around Dec 28th, 2011, so soon!  My DH and I are coming to look at some houses the first weekend in Dec, perhaps we can meet then?  You could give us some good info over lunch or dinner. 

#16 of 18 Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiree79 View Post

No worries, I don't get notification either lol.  Look how long it's taken me to reply : ).  Wow everything you said about the outdoors sounds amazing!  Your pics are beautiful...nothing should be critiqued!  Yes, the economy is awful and the schools system is falling fast.  Our governor cut a lot from the schools.  We live in one of the best districts and it is definitely not what it was.  I'll miss my family a whole lot, however we will all be happier in Ga.  We are coming down around Dec 28th, 2011, so soon!  My DH and I are coming to look at some houses the first weekend in Dec, perhaps we can meet then?  You could give us some good info over lunch or dinner. 

Sounds great!  Dh might (or might not- lol) be out of town for work that first Fri in December, but we're otherwise available.  I know you'll probably be busy looking at houses (Dh & I picked ours out on a weekend trip too.)  So wecan work with whatever you can do.  We just moved here in May, so I'm not sure how much we know compared to those who've been here longer, but I'll give you whatever info I can.  PM or facebook me if you want to nail something down.  :-)

#17 of 18 Old 11-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Oh, so how does everyone want to coordinate something?  Should I just PM everyone and we can start coordinating dates?  Or would it be better to set someting up on Meetup and let those interested join?  I know the holidays are coming up, does everyone want to try and get together Nov/Dec?  Or we could do our first big play date type thing in Janurary...? 

#18 of 18 Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM

I am excited to meet you guys whenever it works for everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page