Looking for Alternate/Delayed Vaccine Friendly Pediatrician near Woodstock, Kennesaw or Marietta, Georgia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to have a great alternate vaccine schedule friendly pediatrician in Stone Mountain, but now that I live in Woodstock the almost 50 mile drive (each way!) is too far.  If any of you have a pediatrician that you recommend who allows delaying or skipping vaccines, I would appreciate your recommendations! redface.gif

Michelle

#2 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 AM

I'm sorry, I don't have any recs for you....but I'd love to hear who you saw out in Stone Mountain as we're in that area, thanks!

#3 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

We saw Dr. Fiona Blair of ABC Pediatric Group.  All of the doctors and staff there are great.  They even had a copy of Dr. Sears' schedule for those patients wanting to follow that schedule.  She does give you the pros of vaccinating, but not in a pressure filled way and she is also listed on Dr. Sears' website.  They also didn't make me sign a waiver or anything like that for choosing an alternate schedule.  We also opted completely out of some vaccines (chicken pox and Hep B, delay MMR), and they were okay with that. 

#4 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM

They are minutes from us...I did notice them in the Sears book too, and I wondered about them. Do you feel they are also good with other natural things like not pushing antibiotics, supporting extending b'feeding and being familiar with intact boys? TIA! 

#5 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

The only time I recall the antibiotics being given were for major things like when my little man got a staff infection from someone else's house... since the antibiotics were never offered for minor things (thankfully he has always been very healthy) I never had an issue with being given too many meds.  She (or another doc on call) were always good about calling back even late at night.  She does have experience with intact boys and I know she encourages at least a year of b'feeding but I don't know her stance on extending beyond one or two years since we moved before then.  She has a common sense approach to things... I just wish she were up in the Woodstock area! redface.gif

#6 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Oh, I hope someone has some recommendations for the area! We are in Canton, and I'm looking, too, since our old ped is in Decatur.
#7 of 19 Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

If I hear anything, I will post it on here.  I'm visiting Kennesaw Pediatrics in a couple of weeks to see what their stance is on vaccines and overall learn more about their practice.  I've heard they're okay with delayed/alternate schedules on some other blogs, but I need to speak with them for myself... my last pediatrician didn't make me sign any type of form/waiver for having an alternate schedule, but I've heard some pediatricians require this. All of the reviews I've read online say nothing but a lot of good things about the practice... although something in Woodstock would be better, I'll happily drive to Kennesaw if I can find a good pediatrician there. 

#8 of 19 Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Could someone let me know who the vaccine friendly pediatrician is in Decatur that Namaste Amma talked about. Thanks

#9 of 19 Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

The only one I know of in that area is in Stone Mountain that I mentioned in the post above.  I loved going there but thankfully just found a new one in Kennesaw.

#10 of 19 Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM

We use Pediatric Associates. We mostly see Dr Ani, and Dr Lacata. Dr Pickholz was a bit pushy about vaxs for my taste. Dr Lacata never says anything negitive about skipping or delaying any vaxs. The only time my girls have had any antibiotics is when one of them had a double ear infection and other remedies did not help. As far as in tact boys, I am not sure as I only have girls but I know several other "crunchy" moms that use them and love them as well. We have to sign a for every time we skip a vax but that is because our insurance requires it.

#11 of 19 Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I found a very good one in Kennesaw.  Actually the entire practice from what I can tell is vaccine friendly.  My new baby will be born in June and I went on a mommy visit and was very impressed.  Not only do they 'allow' us to make the best decision for our individual child (regardless of if you choose to fully vaccinate, partially vaccinate, delay vaccines, or refuse them)... but they also impressed me by their actual knowledge in that area.  Vaccines that are multi-dose (such as the MMR) they have readily available in single doses, they will willingly tell you ahead of time which vaccine manufacture makes which ones and give you any vaccine insert information available.  Additionally for those BF moms, they have a Breastfeeding Center in the office and you can have a consultation/help whenever needed.  They have a newborn area for 0-6 weeks so the new babies coming in for their first checkups aren't around the older kids... they also have a fun waiting room for both healthy & sick kids and they're currently expanding to have a teen waiting room more geared toward the older middle/high school kids.  The name of the practice is Kennesaw Pediatrics and it is right off Wade Green Road.  You can check them out online at http://KennesawPediatrics.com and check out their reviews online too... I found all good reviews and other moms who talked about their willingness to use a delayed/alternate vaccine schedule.  They were also perfectly fine when I told them I'd do no vaccines for the first two years then do a very delayed/alternate schedule that would omit completely some of the vaccines that are unnecessary.  

#12 of 19 Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiShelly505 View Post

I found a very good one in Kennesaw.  Actually the entire practice from what I can tell is vaccine friendly.  My new baby will be born in June and I went on a mommy visit and was very impressed.  Not only do they 'allow' us to make the best decision for our individual child (regardless of if you choose to fully vaccinate, partially vaccinate, delay vaccines, or refuse them)... but they also impressed me by their actual knowledge in that area.  Vaccines that are multi-dose (such as the MMR) they have readily available in single doses, they will willingly tell you ahead of time which vaccine manufacture makes which ones and give you any vaccine insert information available.  Additionally for those BF moms, they have a Breastfeeding Center in the office and you can have a consultation/help whenever needed.  They have a newborn area for 0-6 weeks so the new babies coming in for their first checkups aren't around the older kids... they also have a fun waiting room for both healthy & sick kids and they're currently expanding to have a teen waiting room more geared toward the older middle/high school kids.  The name of the practice is Kennesaw Pediatrics and it is right off Wade Green Road.  You can check them out online at http://KennesawPediatrics.com and check out their reviews online too... I found all good reviews and other moms who talked about their willingness to use a delayed/alternate vaccine schedule.  They were also perfectly fine when I told them I'd do no vaccines for the first two years then do a very delayed/alternate schedule that would omit completely some of the vaccines that are unnecessary.  

A little off topic, but...I thought the MMR was not available as separate shots, has this changed?

#13 of 19 Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I know that Merck announced that they wouldn't continue production but then I've also read that Merck has apparently communicated (only to the medical community) that they were making the separate doses available again but not publishing this because they'd like to force everyone into the MMR requirement rather than separating them.  I am guessing this must be true because the pediatrician said they had them. 

#14 of 19 Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

We're not doing any vaccines at the moment but I'm glad to hear this in case we decided to in the future!

#15 of 19 Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I won't be doing any until age 2 at the earliest because of the published research on the effects on two specific areas of the brain that shows damage before age 2... then we'll do very minimal vaccines after that and VERY spread apart.  Sadly for us this means we won't be able to visit family in another country since we won't be subjecting our baby to such a multitude of vaccines that are required for travel abroad... but the baby's lifetime neurological health is more important to us.   

#16 of 19 Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 AM

I second Kennesaw Pediatrics.  I have 3 children 8, 6, and 3 and none of them have had ANY vaccines.  I signed a waiver, and that was the last thing mentioned to me.  Of course I made it VERY clear that I would not be vaccinating unless I very strongly felt that the benefits outweighed the risks...which I don't forsee happening! 

Good Luck!

#17 of 19 Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM

To MiShelly505, I know it's been a while since this thread was posted but I just saw it and I am also looking for a pediatrician near Kennesaw who is vaccine friendly and I am seriously considering Kennesaw Pediatrics.  I know you can interview different doctors but I wanted to know if you recommend one over another.  I want someone who will not push vaccines but be informative and help educate if needed.  If you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

#18 of 19 Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM

To MiShelly505, I know it's been a while since this thread was posted but I just saw it and I am also looking for a pediatrician near Kennesaw who is vaccine friendly and I am seriously considering Kennesaw Pediatrics.  I know you can interview different doctors but I wanted to know if you recommend one over another.  I want someone who will not push vaccines but be informative and help educate if needed.  If you have any recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

#19 of 19 Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page