gwinnett medical and northside- kaiser insurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my second baby.  With my first I had great insurance and had a water birth at North Fulton with ISIS.  Now I have Kaiser and my choices are limited.  I am still planning on a natural birth and the midwives I have at kaiser seem suppportive and so does gwinnett medical.  I do not like the Gwinnett Medical plans on taking the baby away for shortly after birth so my kaiser midwife suggested I go to Northside where I can keep the baby with me.  But, I was planning on hiring a doula and showing up at the hospital at the very last minute and I like that gwinnett medical is much closer to me.  Does anybody have experiences with Gwinnett Medical or Northside?  I'm really sad that I can't go back to Intown but it's not a choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM

I have had two friends with low intervention, med-free births at Northside in the last year, and Northside is my backup if my homebirth doesn't happen as planned.  I was present for most of one friend's labor and delivery.  The nurses did offer drugs and other interventions but weren't pushy when she refused, and the other mom reports a similar experience.  Both moms had their babies with them the whole time.  One did have serious pressure to supplement with formula due to jaundice, and her partner gave into the pressure while she was sleeping.  They also allowed delayed cord clamping and refusing vaccines/eye goop.  I think it's possible to have the birth you want at Northside - especially if you have a good advocate like a doula and a supportive OB/Midwife.  If you need an OB at Northside who is supportive of natural birth, I like Dr. Dott.  

I don't know anything about Gwinnett Medical, though.  

#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife at Kaiser said if I say no, I can keep the baby with me.  I was also surprised to see that she supports tandem nursing.  I'll probably stay at Gwinnett Medical so at least I can give birth with people I've met.  I just plan on hanging out at home for until as close to the end as I can.

#4 of 4 Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Of course you have a choice smile.gif Get on the phone with your HR rep through which ever company you have your insurance through and tell them that the birth options for Kaiser are awful and you need to switch insurance plans. And there is always the option of paying out of pocket (not realistic for a hospital birth I know, but you could also pay a homebirth midwife)

And as for keeping your baby with you. That is YOUR BABY. Between you and either your partner, or a family member, you can make sure that unless it's medically necessary for your baby to be in the nursery, that the baby stays with you.

OH, and hiring a doula and staying home as long as possible in labor might be a good idea. My last client to give birth at Northside ended up walking in complete , and was there maybe an hour when she pushed out her baby.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page