moving near savannah (ft stewart/hinesville) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can you tell me a little about the area?  i know there is no trader joes, wegmans or whole foods.  whats the homeschool community like there?

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM

I lived there for about two years. Its a little frustrating. PLuses are Brighter Day which is a small health food market near Forsyth park. There is a good farmer's market in Forsyth on Saturdays from about April-Oct although at least one farmer was bring things in his truck year round. The town is beautiful and there is a small homeschooling community. Minuses...no major health food stores so we had to shop between about 3-4 different stores to get what we needed. Its a tourist community so the focus of the city and finances goes that direction making the streets, schools, etc lousy. SCAD overtakes the town in the school year but the students and faculty are nice, creative and interesting. Ardsley Park is the most family friendly neighborhood with good architecture and parks, however as we learned there really are no "good" neighborhoods. Poverty is high so with that so is petty crime, dilapidation and things that come along with it. Public trans is decent but really only in immediate areas to downtown. Ellis Park is fun with a fountain children can play in. Parking downtown stinks especially if you have to work there...which I did. There are some decent locally owned restaraunts, a nice little coffee shop called the Sentient Bean and a nice community of progressive minded people...but you have to look for them!

Juliet married to Justin, Mom to Savannah 19, Kyla forever 4, Braelyn 11, Jack 8, and 3 wonderful pups!
#3 of 4 Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
zak

Oh, I lived in Savannah for a year before moving to ATL.  I loved our time there.  :)  I hope you find your niche!  (The local LLL group was fantastic back in 2005-2006, I'm still friends with a couple of the Leaders).  :)

We lived in Georgetown (actually, we still have the house as a rental).  We liked our area.  Super close to the malls/shopping/Publix.  I loved Brighter Day.  I loved Forsyth Park (we did a weekly playgroup there). 

Anyway, I hope you have a great move!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#4 of 4 Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 AM

funny I just posted this same question!  Are you moved in?  Do you like it?  And to the previous poster do you still have your rental in Georgetown??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page