Intown midwifery reviews- wait times, recent amc birth experiences... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Feel free to P.M. me if you are interested.  I had my first birth with ISIS at North Fulton, so I already know I love Margaret and Anjili.  Now though with my second I've been seeing some other midwives, but I trust Intown Midwifery so much more.  I can't decide whether to switch though because I hate driving downtown.  I hate all things about downtown.  I do like that where I am now, the office is 5 minutes away and when I have a 10:50 appointment, I'm seen at 10:50 without any worries.  With having a toddler now, I can't imagine driving downtown (can be a hour at times) and then having to wait forever for my appointment and then driving back home.  Lots of gas, time, and paying for parking too, ug.  I only saw them at ISIS though when it was two to three hour waits.  So, I'm wondering, how are the waits now that they have their own place.  I loved birthing with them and I didn't mind the drives so much when I was I pregnant with my first.  Now that I've had my perfect birth with them, I feel I can argue a bit more and get what I want at a more traditional and closer hospital even if it isn't ideal.  Basically, I feel stuck in this dilema of what to do.  Have nice office visits close by with ok midwives and a hopefully ok but not awesome birth experience or be a bit frustrated with all the visits I'd have to make downtown in trade off for another one day hopefully perfect birth experience.  Opinions?  Advice?

#2 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 05:00 AM

Can't give feedback regarding Intown, but I know what you are saying..I did go to ISIS as well. Had my 3rd up at North Fulton with Kay/Janet earlier this year. I would say....what do you feel stronger about--the confidence you have in the provider/hospital or the convenience of your prenatal care? For me it has been about the provider, but after my last birth (which went quite fast) I might be willing to birth at a closer place knowing that I will go faster and that I know what things are like and can really stay at home longer b/c hospital is so close. B/c it's not your first, you can be a better judge of your body probably and know when you REALLY need to get there...then it is so close, you will probably arrive near/at transition and it may just be a very cut and dry birth, KWIM? I am also an hour from North Fulton and even though we left right away to get there, I still couldn't birth in the tub b/c baby came b/f it was full......all this to say....I think you can have confidence in yourself and  wait things out longer/be more confident once you arrive and just refuse meds/or whatever you don't want them to push on you. BUT, you know yourself...are you an anxious person? the confidence in your provider may be just what you need while you're in labor to have a good one and not become stressed out if something doesn't go "just right." I HTH a little. It's a tough decision, I know. I will need to make the same if I get pregnant again. 

#3 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM

The drive is worth it. I promise. When you have a provider that is more willing to listen to you and respect your choices, much like Intown Midwifery...it's worth the drive.

I drove 2 hours round trip in my last pregnancy to see my preferred provider.

I hope you decide to make the switch! Good luck!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#4 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I think being my second, I can stand up for myself and fight on the few issues that I would need to fight.  Three of the five midwives in the group say their job is to fight with me.  The other two are all for natural birth but see the rules more are rules, like the baby has to have a bath in the nursery.  That's my biggest issue is them taking away for the baby for an hour plus for the bath shortly after birth.  But the other midwives say that they have seen the the bath take place in the room and rules are bendable.

Yes, I want my two year old to be a part of the birth, but he hates hospitals, so I want to stay at home until the very end and not have to deal with all those contractions in the car.  I'm afraid of being stuck in traffic in labor driving to Atlanta.  I'd rather be watching movies here at my home in labor than being at the hospital.  Mr. 2 year old told me I should have the baby at home.  I'd like to, but I can't afford it and my husband wouldn't be happy about it.

The midwives are my new practice aren't bad, one of them even told me I should tandem nurse my then almost 3 year old and the baby, but I love Intown and trust them a lot more.  But, I feel pretty confident that I can have a natural birth with only a few issues with Kaiser and it would be easier for me to coordinate and less stress for my son, not dragging him all day to appointments and easier coordinating on the day of the babies birth.

I cannot believe I am leaning toward sticking with Kaiser.  I never thought I would do that.  It makes me sad.  But, I just have a feeling that this labor is going to be faster and closer is the better choice, so I probably have to go with my gut even though I would much rather be at Intown.  Last time I went from 6 to 10 centimeters and baby out and in my arms in less than an hour.  If I were to take I guess, I'm thinking I'm going to have a five hour labor this time.  Purely a guess, but that's what's playing in my mind.  Anjli told me already I would have to leave early on for the hospital with my second since the end with my first went so fast and I could be stuck giving birth in the car.  I plan on hiring a doula to help me stay calm and cool at home.

#5 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that AMC does not allow any children, including siblings, under the age of 12 during flu season, which is typically September through May. So if you want your 2 year old there and you are due in that time period he will not be able to come at any point that you are there, at least not onto the labor/delivery or recovery floors.

#6 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ayb922- Wow, good to know. I thought they were more family friendly. I've never been away from my son for any lenght of time. He knows me. I could not imagine him seeing me in pain during labor and then having to leave him somewhere. He would be so scared and confused. As it is right now, my husband may leave me in the hospital the night after the baby is born since my son isn't allowed to stay overnight just so he at least has one parent with him. Yes, a I'm due right in the middle of flu season, in March.
Of course too, I want him to know where this baby came from, not surprise, we left you alone for two days and look what we have now-a baby.
Thanks so much for letting me know that. It does help me in my decision because I so want my son to be a part of the birth and he can at Gwinnett Medical.
#7 of 12 Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayb922 View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that AMC does not allow any children, including siblings, under the age of 12 during flu season, which is typically September through May. So if you want your 2 year old there and you are due in that time period he will not be able to come at any point that you are there, at least not onto the labor/delivery or recovery floors.

You are likely to find this policy in effect in several hospitals, due to flu season. It's not just one hospital.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#8 of 12 Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post

You are likely to find this policy in effect in several hospitals, due to flu season. It's not just one hospital.

Agreed, but she was asking about AMC, which does have stricter policies than, say, Northside or Piedmont

#9 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayb922 View Post

Agreed, but she was asking about AMC, which does have stricter policies than, say, Northside or Piedmont

True, this weekend at Northside Forsyth I noticed it said "No children under 12 unless they are the patient's children"
(though, I don't think that would make or break a birth place for me personally)

#10 of 12 Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious&eager View Post

I think being my second, I can stand up for myself and fight on the few issues that I would need to fight.  Three of the five midwives in the group say their job is to fight with me.  The other two are all for natural birth but see the rules more are rules, like the baby has to have a bath in the nursery.  That's my biggest issue is them taking away for the baby for an hour plus for the bath shortly after birth.  But the other midwives say that they have seen the the bath take place in the room and rules are bendable.

Yes, I want my two year old to be a part of the birth, but he hates hospitals, so I want to stay at home until the very end and not have to deal with all those contractions in the car.  I'm afraid of being stuck in traffic in labor driving to Atlanta.  I'd rather be watching movies here at my home in labor than being at the hospital.  Mr. 2 year old told me I should have the baby at home.  I'd like to, but I can't afford it and my husband wouldn't be happy about it.

The midwives are my new practice aren't bad, one of them even told me I should tandem nurse my then almost 3 year old and the baby, but I love Intown and trust them a lot more.  But, I feel pretty confident that I can have a natural birth with only a few issues with Kaiser and it would be easier for me to coordinate and less stress for my son, not dragging him all day to appointments and easier coordinating on the day of the babies birth.

I cannot believe I am leaning toward sticking with Kaiser.  I never thought I would do that.  It makes me sad.  But, I just have a feeling that this labor is going to be faster and closer is the better choice, so I probably have to go with my gut even though I would much rather be at Intown.  Last time I went from 6 to 10 centimeters and baby out and in my arms in less than an hour.  If I were to take I guess, I'm thinking I'm going to have a five hour labor this time.  Purely a guess, but that's what's playing in my mind.  Anjli told me already I would have to leave early on for the hospital with my second since the end with my first went so fast and I could be stuck giving birth in the car.  I plan on hiring a doula to help me stay calm and cool at home.

Have you considered a homebirth? I am so glad I chose to have DS2 at home because my labor was a total of 2.5 hours long and I never would have made it to the hospital at AMC or N. Fulton. Also, DS1 was able to be home with us the whole time. I saw a great midwife in Gwinnett if you're interested.

#11 of 12 Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to have a homebirth and I'd be interested to know who you used.  I emailed a place here in Lilburn with Kay, but they wanted over $3000 for the birth.  I stay home full time and my husband earns very little so our money is super tight and there is no way I can afford that.  I have medicaid and Kaiser insurance, so my birth will be $0 which is a lot more doable.  I just have to hire a doula to help me have the best experience I can at a hospital I don't really want to be at.  I'd rather be at AMC or even better, at home.  I've been watching A Baby Story on TV and every story reminds me of how awful a traditional hospital birth can be when the moms trust doctors and get the whole works- pitocin, epidural, epsisotomy...  I'd be fine if this baby came out in the car on the way to the hospital instead.

#12 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 AM

I know it's really difficult to feel like a homebirth is affordable when we can birth in the hospitals for free, or close to it with insurance. But honestly, you can't pay enough for the type of care you get at home in comparison. I would just hate to find out I was being given lip service, and being baited to birth with a group, any group, only to have them switch on me in labor. And, while Kay and Debbie are amazing, you might want to actually interview with them and other midwives and explain your financial situation. We managed to make it work on $12/hour and me staying home full time. It's not *easy*, but usually the things that are the most worth it are difficult and take planning and sacrifice.

The baby does not HAVE to go to the nursery. That is *your kid* and they can't do anything to, or with, your kid with out your permission.

I do hope you can find a doula though, should you decide not to switch insurances, practices or hire the homebirth midwives. I would look on the Georgia Birth Network referrals page.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page