Jacksonville FL - Midwife who delivers at Baptist South - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for an OB practice that has midwives on staff and delivers at Baptist South. With my last son I went this route but our practice has since lost all 3 midwives and service has fallen downhill. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

cloth diaperin' mama to one little boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Many people (doctor friends, included) have recommended North Florida OBGYN Associates to me.  http://www.nfobgyn.com 

But, I have heard that the doctors at this practice, and Baptist South, aren't particularly supportive of natural birth.  I live close to Baptist South, but am looking for other options, because I really want natural.  But I think if you have a critical need, these doctors have an excellent reputation.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I started at N FL OBGYN with my last pregnancy but switched early on because the place I ended up calling didn't deliver at Baptist South (they are huge and have offices everywhere which I didn't realize). We've decided to go with Fruitful Vine midwifery services and deliver at their birth center. I'm hoping insurance gets worked out so we can continue there but I should know shortly. otherwise I'll be back looking for a good midwife at a OB practice.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM

If you end up looking for a midwife/OB, I visited Dr. Van Scriver's practice last week (A place for women).  I really liked them.  They used to be back-up doctors for Fruitful Vine.  Just something to think about -- FV doesn't currently have a back-up doc.  I had to transfer with my last pregnancy, and my home birth midwife (in another town) didn't have a backup, so I had to go through the ER, so this makes me really uncomfortable. FV did say that they are working on it, and they might have back up by the time I deliver.  I'm still trying to decide what to do. 

Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that makes me a little scared too. I have premature water breakage before and FL requires active labor or hospital within 12hrs. I'm hoping to avoid being transferred! I am going to A Place for Women for a US next week (sent by FV). I'm going to ask ahead of time if there is anything I can do to have a backup OB jik or if they will have on by August.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Same thing happened to me!  Although I didn't know it was a rule, that's basically what my midwife said.  Can you keep me posted on what you find out?  I am still not totally sold on a hospital birth, but I'm going to tour St. Lukes (where a place for women delivers) and see how I feel after that. 

Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yep was told today that they do not have a backup OB so unless you transfer earlier on they will be sending you to Shands. Shands has the lowest c-section rate and the on-call doctors know the practice and will be prepared for a natural minded mom if it happens to you. Hoping the best and just won't plan to transfer but at least I know now.

User Tag List