Montessori In Town (intown Atlanta, GA) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving from Austin to Atlanta in the fall and want to find a smallish intown Montessori or similar preschool for our 2 year old daughter 3-5 mornings a week.  We will be living in Poncey-Highland area.  We have a tour set up at Montessori In Town.  Does anyone have any experience with this school?  I'd love to hear feedback.  

Also, if there are folks who have suggestions for other good intown options that would likely have space in the fall I would love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Just randomly met the ED there in a coffee shop. She was warm. Gave me her card bc of her brief interactions with my 5 mo. I am curious about the school just based on our brief meeting. She was pretty sweet and had some great advice about childcare options in Atlanta. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM

MIT is wonderful! I observed there one day but decided not to switch my son who goes to Inman Park Cooperative Preschool, which has a nature-based and creative curriculum. All the preschools are currently accepting applications but the deadlines are very soon. Besides MIT and IPCP, you might want to check out Grant Park Coop, Oakhurst Coop, and Altanta Progressive Preschool. LOTS of great options!

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 PM

My son goes to Atlanta Progressive and I can not recommend it enough. We love it - it is not Montessori though, it is Reggio. I believe they are accepting applications starting tomorrow.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM

I urge you to look elsewhere.  MIT has experienced several families leaving due to issues in the classroom and the administration.

Have you looked into Arbor?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM

"I urge you to look elsewhere. MIT has experienced several families leaving due to issues in the classroom and the administration." To follow up on the post above. Indeed, there were some issues in one of the classrooms, from one isolated and very powerful teacher. Nothing criminal, just a bad presence in the classroom and the school. Since this became known (Spring 2012), the school has gone through a complete overhaul (by Summer 2012). Entirely new ownership, and entirely new teaching leadership. Same incredible facilities, same core group of dedicated families, super-dedicated new owners who have decades of experience. The school is thriving with full classrooms. Full disclosure - I am a parent of a student, and we made a conscious and informed decision to stay with the school, and very glad we did. We love it. Take a tour and observe a classroom. It may be just right for you and your child.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM

ATLParent, I am surprised to read your assertion that the behavior of that teacher was not criminal. I strongly disagree with that assertion. I respect your opinion and certainly your decision to stay after that teacher's removal, but to say that there was merely a "bad presence" is absolutely untrue. This is from experience and I am unable to elaborate. I am not trying to scare anyone away from MIT, but I do want it known that there are many, many parents who disagree with you that her behavior was not criminal. I'll also add, because I feel that it is pertinent, that this behavior was brought the attention of administration prior to Spring 12. 

Doula bellycast.gif and freelance writer notes.gif,  married to the best man I know joy.gif

Stepmother to DSS guitar.gif (9)

6-24-13 angel1.gif

8-9-12 pos.gif and planning on homebirth.jpg

User Tag List