Natural Birth in a Florida hospital??? Possible?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been trying to find some answers and I'm just stuck.  I had a cesarean and I just cannot go back to a hospital.  From everything I've been able to find out though, there are no CNM's that do home births in this area.  The birthing centers won't do VBACs.  My husband won't use a CPM, so that's pretty much out.  We had a CPM last time and he was seriously uncomfortable.  He'll probably be uncomfortable if I have a home birth anyway.. I'm going to try to make sure he's not there.  He did not help with my labor.  I just couldn't progress with him around.  Sooooo....  Are there hospitals (I'm in the Tamp area) around that are more natural birth friendly or have in hospital birthing centers?

Pretty please someone answer.  

Wife to awesome Army guy, mommy to DD1 lady.gif 7/11/07 and bellycast.gif one on the way this October!  Planning for a  hbac.gif

#2 of 16 Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM

AFAIK, Tampa General is the only hospital on this side of the bay that does VBACs.  There are 2 groups there that will do them - Women's Health Care, which is a group of about 13 CNMs, and USF Physician's Group, which is really huge (something like 6 CNMs, 15 OBs, and a few MFMs as well).  I can give you more details about both practices if you're interested.  My DS was born at TGH in '07 but he was premature so it's hard to say how much of that experience would apply to a full-term birth.  Have you been to any ICAN meetings?  The mamas there are a great source of info.

There is a CNM who does homebirths, Nora Hernando.  She's based in Pinellas but she comes to Tampa, too.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#3 of 16 Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.  I have yet to make it to an ICAN meeting.  I'm struggling with what to do.  I've talked to a few midwives today and it seems that birth centers won't allow VBACs, which seems really silly, but you can have a HBAC.  We're also military and our insurance gives them a hard time.  I'm not sure if we can pay out of pocket right now.  We'd definitely have to figure that out.  Thanks for mentioning Tampa General.  Someone else mentioned it to me today and said Mary O'Meara is who I should ask for.  Anyway.. it was good to hear two people talk about that hospital.  The c-section rates around here are insane!  Sigh... OK!  Thanks so much!  Oh... I'm certainly happy to hear any details about the practices that you may have.  Thanks again,

Sam

Wife to awesome Army guy, mommy to DD1 lady.gif 7/11/07 and bellycast.gif one on the way this October!  Planning for a  hbac.gif

#4 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM

The reason you can't VBAC at a birth center is the way the law & insurance is set up in Florida.  You can only HBAC here.  And yes, the C-Section rates are crazy.

Nora's # is (727) 734-2229, and when I treated with her two years ago she was associated with Labor of Love.   www.laborluv.com  

I really liked Nora, but my baby didn't come when she was on call and I actually delivered with someone else.  Labor of Love is the best care available in this area IMO.  Hopefully your husband can get on the bandwagon, your birth experience is about YOUR comfort, not his.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#5 of 16 Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey there!  Thought I'd update anyone that was curious.  I found Nora and hubby loves her and is more comfortable with the having a home birth.  Turns out he was mostly worried about finances.  So, long story short we're having this baby at home with Nora!  Yay!!!  Couldn't be more happy.  

#6 of 16 Old 08-04-2012, 12:56 PM

Thank you, Darla & Sam, for the kind words! 

FYI, my phone number is 727-282-8993 (the other number listed is Labor of Love, and I'm sure they won't give you my number as I'm in competition with them!)

#7 of 16 Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 PM

How did your HBAC go?
joy.gif
#8 of 16 Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

It was awesome! He is a week old now. I don't know who would choose a cesarean over a vaginal birth. It was night and day different. I'm so thankful for Nora. So so thankful!

#9 of 16 Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Congrats! That's so happy to hear! smile.gif Maybe Nora could be my midwife... CHECK YOUR EMAIL MRS. HERNANDO!
#10 of 16 Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I hope so! Pm me if you want. I had an amazing experience.

#11 of 16 Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM

Congrats on your HBAC! 

#12 of 16 Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Congrats on your home birth. I'm looking to do natural/water birth at a birthing center with a midwife myself. This will be my second child as with the first one I was at a hospital hooked up on med's and ended up receiving an epidural, which I really don't want to experience again.

Can you share with ,e your experience with the home birth you recently had? Would you do it over again? Did you use a birthing pool? I'm just trying to get as much feedback as I can on the natural birthing and any feedback from those that may have used the birthing pool. My husband is a major supporter of the midwife and birthing center, so any information or suggestions, we greatly appreciate!

Again congrats!
#13 of 16 Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

It was amazing!  I would do it several times over!  I didn't have a pool, but I wanted to.  I just couldn't get it in time.  I did labor in the tub and that was helpful.  She would have let me deliver in the tub, but I wanted to get out.  If you would like to come and ask questions, I'm planning a picnic for our midwifery group.  I had a cesarean for my first and this birth was sooooo peaceful!  I took hypnobirthing classes this time and so I was able to just relax and focus on my body.  It wasn't completely painless, but the only time I complained about pain was when my back hurt.  Nora was wonderful.  She only did what was absolutely necessary during my labor.  She didn't hover.  In fact, I think I only saw her twice before he came out.  She let the doula do all the fetal heart monitoring. She never told me what to do.  She gave me a suggestion when I wasn't pushing effectively, but it was ok.  I loved my prenatal visits with her.  She spent tons of time, and always answered my silly questions.  Feel free to pm me if you have more questions!  

Sam

#14 of 16 Old 11-23-2012, 07:08 AM

Thank you for sharing. Hearing things like this makes it that much easier for me to make the decision I plan with water birth. I'm also looking to utilize hypnobirthing as additional support for pain management. Again, thank you so much.
#15 of 16 Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Nora really IS all that and a bag of chips;)

#16 of 16 Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Glad you ladies found Nora to work with! :) 

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page