In Alabama - I've heard of women who want a midwife-assisted birth crossing state lines..? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with my 2nd baby, 6 1/2 months, and I REALLY don't want another hospital birth.. The first wasn't a TERRIBLE experience, considering the fact that I barely made it - my ob didn't even get there in time - but it definitely wasn't the desired one. And after everything I've been hearing and reading about the differences in hospital births and home births, the thought of going back to that hospital makes me sick. I'm dreading it and I'm worried. 

I've heard about people going across state lines where its legal to have a midwife, but I don't know where to begin looking. Where would I go once I got into GA if there are no birthing centers?? 

I'm desperate for some answers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybaby88 View Post

I'm pregnant with my 2nd baby, 6 1/2 months, and I REALLY don't want another hospital birth.. The first wasn't a TERRIBLE experience, considering the fact that I barely made it - my ob didn't even get there in time - but it definitely wasn't the desired one. And after everything I've been hearing and reading about the differences in hospital births and home births, the thought of going back to that hospital makes me sick. I'm dreading it and I'm worried. 

I've heard about people going across state lines where its legal to have a midwife, but I don't know where to begin looking. Where would I go once I got into GA if there are no birthing centers?? 

I'm desperate for some answers

Google your area and birthing centers in your area (ex. North Alabama Birthing Centers or West Georgia Birthing Centers) and start your search from there.  If you don't find anything like this, feel free to contact me and I will help you further.

#3 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Location: Serving Jackson/Memphis, TN & Dyersburg, McKenzie, TN

Home births are legal now in AL.  Why don't you look into this?

~Gin

~Ginny Mills  (Mom to 3-ages  dd-5(DIVA), ds-8(ADHD), & dd-18(Asperger's)

Doula/Childbirth & Parenting Educator & B.A. in Psych w/ Early Childhood Ed/Marriage & Family Counseling

#4 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Not sure what part of AL you are in, but consider contacting one of the ladies at this group in **********:

http://www.birthwellin**********.com/doulas

They have lots of information and may be able to lead you in the right direction.  They also meet one time a month in B'ham to discuss various birthing topics. 

If you end up going with a hospital birth, consider finding a hospital/OB who will truly respect and uphold your birth plan to make your experience better.  I had a bad experience with #1, but a great, natural, hands-off experience with #2 and a pretty good, natural experience with #3, all born at Brookwood in B'ham.  I have heard that Emory Hospital in Atlanta has an OB who is extremely supportive of natural birthing experiences--certainly there are others in Atlanta or other larger areas.  Best wishes!

#5 of 5 Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM

Midwife assisted homebirths are still illegal in Alabama, our bill almost made it through the senate this year, but still not quite there. There are many midwives who work across state lines though

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page