Sudbury School in Atlanta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anybody heard about the Sudbury School starting in Atlanta this Fall? I am considering this option for my son who is very bright and creative. It seems like it is similar to unschooling, but with a big emphasis on community... "self-directed learning within a democratic community." Anyone have experience with it? I'd love to hear feedback. It sounds like a fantastic way for children to really learn who they are and have confidence in themselves.

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Hi, I'm one of the founders of the new Sudbury School of Atlanta.

The school will be opening on Sept. 4th, 2012. We are located in the Avondale Patillo United Methodist Church building, 3260 Covington Highway, Decatur, GA.

You're right, the educational model is very similar to unschooling, with a big emphasis on community.

The school's website is http://www.sudburyschoolofatlanta.org/

For more information about the original Sudbury Valley School in Massachusetts, which has been operating for nearly 50 years, see www.sudval.org.

Please join us at one of our upcoming info/enrollment sessions! The next one is this coming Wednesday night, at 7:00 p.m., in the fellowship hall, a separate building behind the main building.

Linda - a formerly unschooling mom whose two kids are now grown and in college

#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Hi. I am enrolling my 7 year old son in Sudbury this fall. I unschooled last year and was excited to hear about a Sudbury School opening in Atlanta, so I became a founder.

My son is very excited about the community and the freedom to explore what interests him. Although we enjoyed unschooling last year, I feel like I am a part of a growing village of people who will love, appreciate, and be available for my child.

How old is your son? Are you currently unschooling him?

Kathryn 

#4 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Please note: I was mistaken. The next info/enrollment session is NOT this Wednesday night, at 7:00 p.m!

It will be this coming Sunday, August 26th, from 3:00 to 4:30, in the fellowship hall of the Avondale Pattillo United Methodist Church 3260 Covington Highway, Decatur, GA.

For more information, please see our website, http://www.sudburyschoolofatlanta.org/

Linda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page