Water Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there is anywhere that offers water birth in Augusta Ga that also accepts tricare?
#2 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Unfortunately, Augusta doesn't really have a lot of birthing options in the grand scheme of things.  There are homebirth midwives locally, but it's out of pocket pay.  No insurances.  None of the hospitals have birthing tubs really available (MCG used to have some, but I don't think they are working order, nor would they allow you to birth in them...just labor.  Plus they are in limited rooms).

If you would like to learn more of your birthing options in Augusta, you can come to the CSRA Birthing Connections meetings.  www.facebook.com/CSRABirthingConnections or www.csrabirthingconnections.org You can meet several care providers as well as doulas at these meetings.  Our next meeting is September 3 at Earth Fare 7 p.m.

#3 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Do you happen to know where the closest birthing center is by chance? I'm just trying to figure out my options. I'd like to avoid the hospital as much as possible, but I live 45 mins away from the closest hospital if something was to go wrong so still uncertain if I wanna do a home birth. I'm guessing the hospitals here don't offer water birth either, but if the do I may would consider the hospital then? Idk. I don't like the idea of being hooked up to ivs and being medicated and them trying to sway me otherwise....
#4 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Yes, there is a birth center about an hour away from Augusta http://covenantbirthcenter.com/ over near Columbia, SC.  I'm not sure if they accept Tricare, but it wouldn't hurt to ask!    Then there's one in Savannah, GA http://themidwifegroup.com/ but that's further away than the one in SC.

#5 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM

a little out of the norm.. but have you considered having a birth at a nice hotel or vacation rental near a hospital? I know of several people who either lived 2 hours from a decent hospital or were in Alabama and came to GA to birth in a honeymoon sweet.  Otherwise.. Savannah is the closest birth center open that I know of.. Unless you are close enough to the farm in TN.. Not sure exactly where you are.. but if you are within 2 hours of the farm.. it would be my fav choice.

#6 of 8 Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Intown Midwifery is a great practice that offers water birth at Atlanta Medical Center. We had a great experience there! 

#7 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoDVPB View Post

Unfortunately, Augusta doesn't really have a lot of birthing options in the grand scheme of things.  There are homebirth midwives locally, but it's out of pocket pay.  No insurances.  None of the hospitals have birthing tubs really available (MCG used to have some, but I don't think they are working order, nor would they allow you to birth in them...just labor.  Plus they are in limited rooms).

If you would like to learn more of your birthing options in Augusta, you can come to the CSRA Birthing Connections meetings.  www.facebook.com/CSRABirthingConnections or www.csrabirthingconnections.org You can meet several care providers as well as doulas at these meetings.  Our next meeting is September 3 at Earth Fare 7 p.m.

Hope you had a chance to attend. I live in town and had a wonderful water home birth with a local midwife. These ladies will be your best source of information around the area. It is my understanding that if you had to have a hospital birth, Trinity would be your best bet (fewer c-section rates).

#8 of 8 Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Yeah, none of the local hospitals offer water births or even labor tubs. There's a home birth midwife in the area who attends water births and she at least gives a decent discount to military clients. If you're able to come to the Doula Tea on the 3rd Monday of the month at Earth Fare in Martinez from 7-8pm then you can meet a bunch of local doulas (one of them is military herself and has been very helpful in the birthing community here as far as military options go) and get opinions from them about what your options might be.

Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page