Suggestions for areas in GA that are like Decatur . . . but aren't as expensive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all!   We're looking at moving back to GA sometime in the next year or so, and I'm scouting out locations.   We lived in Decatur for 9 years and loved it but are looking at probably being OTP just to have a less expensive lifestyle.   We won't be contending with a commute, so we are pretty flexible in finding where to land.   The most important thing is finding a school (middle school and then a high school for later) that has strong academics but is also a strong community that supports the development of the whole child as a person, teaching about individual responsibility as well as commitment to others.  And I very much want it to have diversity representative of the real world and an atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance.   I'd love to find a public school (charter or not) that fits this mold, but am also open to private options that aren't crazy expensive.  We want to find a location that has a lower cost of living (housing prices and property taxes) than city of Atlanta, city of Decatur, etc.   Ideally we'd like to be within an hour or two of Atlanta.   Thanks for any and all suggestions of specific schools or areas!

#2 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM

My kids are younger, but we live near the Carrollton area and hope to move closer soon. It is about an hour from Atlanta. I hear good things about the city schools. It is is a great community and has the UWG and I would say is fairly diverse in terms of population.
#3 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Athens is pretty great too.
#4 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Conyers is quite cool too.
#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another vote for Athens! :thumb

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to throw Macon into the hat. Public schools are not good. BUT there are some great charter schools being established that are very impressive. Additionally, due to the public school situation, there are a variety of inexpensive private school options. If you are on the north side you can be in ATL in less than an hour. Final plug - with 3 Universities there are tons of cultural opportunities while still maintaining a small town feel. /commercial
Good luck to you!!!

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#7 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpumkin View Post
I'd like to throw Macon into the hat. Public schools are not good. BUT there are some great charter schools being established that are very impressive. Additionally, due to the public school situation, there are a variety of inexpensive private school options. If you are on the north side you can be in ATL in less than an hour. Final plug - with 3 Universities there are tons of cultural opportunities while still maintaining a small town feel. /commercial
Good luck to you!!!
I love Dunwoody! It is a great area and it really is not very expensive either.I am in real estate and also new to Georgia. I can tell you its great

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page