Sarasota area meet-ups - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if this is a company owned location or a franchise? Applebee's is franchised out. We own a franchise, and if a mother gets kicked out of a store in Kansas, for example, that has nothing to do with the way we feel and the way we treat our customers who want to breastfeed in our store (Dh reassures them that its ok if they look uncomfortable and would never ask them to cover up). And a response from our Headquarters is not necessarily a reflection of the way we feel. I agree with protesting at the location where the incident happened or at company owned store, but if you go after a franchisee, you are also going after a small business owner for something they don't necessarily have control over. Just wanted to check if anyone looked into it. If its company owned I think we can make it- as long as Savannah is feeling better and it's ok to bring Tyler (dh is working), are you bringing your older kids?

I think the babywearing party sounds funs... I have a Mei Tai, a Moby wrap, a maya sling, and the old new native carrier

ds (6), dd (2.5) and arriving this spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Hey Jilian- Savannah caught a cold too- did you find anything that worked well for your ds's? I gave her Ferrum Phos but it didn't seem to help. She's not congested, just loose mucus, and she keeps waking up choking on it and is also spitting up.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw2003 View Post
Does anyone know if this is a company owned location or a franchise? Applebee's is franchised out. We own a franchise, and if a mother gets kicked out of a store in Kansas, for example, that has nothing to do with the way we feel and the way we treat our customers who want to breastfeed in our store (Dh reassures them that its ok if they look uncomfortable and would never ask them to cover up). And a response from our Headquarters is not necessarily a reflection of the way we feel. I agree with protesting at the location where the incident happened or at company owned store, but if you go after a franchisee, you are also going after a small business owner for something they don't necessarily have control over. Just wanted to check if anyone looked into it. If its company owned I think we can make it- as long as Savannah is feeling better and it's ok to bring Tyler (dh is working), are you bringing your older kids?

I think the babywearing party sounds funs... I have a Mei Tai, a Moby wrap, a maya sling, and the old new native carrier
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that... I had no idea that applebees was franchised. That would make a difference... I have no idea if it is co owned or not. I will ask the person who told me about it.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Hey Jilian- Savannah caught a cold too- did you find anything that worked well for your ds's? I gave her Ferrum Phos but it didn't seem to help. She's not congested, just loose mucus, and she keeps waking up choking on it and is also spitting up.
Oh no! I'm sorry Savannah is not feeling well... Have you tried any of the boiron remedies? They work a little differently than the cell salts do. I think they have them at sunsplash. I'm going to sarasota tomorrow, lmk if you want me to pick something up, I can drop it off to you. I have to go to special nutrition anyway to visit a friend.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 AM

Woahhhh! We have to be there on Saturday! Look at Applebees's response:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=743828
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
Woahhhh! We have to be there on Saturday! Look at Applebees's response:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=743828
I have to wonder about that response. You'd think that after all the recent publicity applebees has received that the manager's response would have been a little different. I mean, "covering up the whole body"?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Have you tried any of the boiron remedies? They work a little differently than the cell salts do. I think they have them at sunsplash. I'm going to sarasota tomorrow, lmk if you want me to pick something up, I can drop it off to you.
Is the boiron the one that sells that oscill-something flu remedy? That works so well for me. Would it be hard to give to her since it's a bunch of pellets? She spits out the highlands that melt, I have to keep putting it back in her mouth. Oh that would be great if you see something that would work for her, thank you

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Is the boiron the one that sells that oscill-something flu remedy? That works so well for me. Would it be hard to give to her since it's a bunch of pellets? She spits out the highlands that melt, I have to keep putting it back in her mouth. Oh that would be great if you see something that would work for her, thank you
Yes, they make the oscillo-stuff. The remedies come in pellets too, but the dosage is only a couple (3-5) pellets. You can melt them in a spoon of water first and have her sip off of the spoon.
I'll get something for her and I can drop it off on my way home. It'll be later in the day though... I'll call you tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 AM

That's ridiculous.

Based on the similarity of the responses it looks like they sent out statements to their restaurants on how to respond to these questions, and they are so wrong.
Savannah would never nurse with a blanket over her head even if I wanted to cover her up (not that i should have to). Let me see how she's feeling before I commit to Saturday.
Thanks for checking into it

Quote:
I'll get something for her and I can drop it off on my way home. It'll be later in the day though... I'll call you tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks!!!! We'll be here

Old 09-07-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
That's ridiculous.

Savannah would never nurse with a blanket over her head even if I wanted to cover her up (not that i should have to). Let me see how she's feeling before I commit to Saturday.

Thanks!!!! We'll be here
Great.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM

I'm a fairly modest nurser and usually try to cover up a bit (my own issues) but it is wrong to tell someone they have to cover up. Now that Evan is getting older and more mobile he hits the blanket off so I've stopped covering up. Covering up is more noticeable then not covering up IMO.

Thanks for metioning the franchise info M, I didn't think of that. It is a good point.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Ick- I'm sick too :. Savannah is still sleeping so I'm not sure how she's doing yet. I probably won't go tomorrow but I'll be interested to hear how it went.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Ick- I'm sick too :. Savannah is still sleeping so I'm not sure how she's doing yet. I probably won't go tomorrow but I'll be interested to hear how it went.
Oh no! I hope you are both feeling better soon!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:59 PM

I tried the breastmilk in Evan's nose and it worked well. I used the cleaned out suction bulb to squeeze some milk into and then I put a few drops into each nostril. I let it sit for a minute then sucked it out and a lot came with it. DH plugged one nostril while I suctioned the other and that worked like a charm. Evan isn't as stuffy anymore. : He liked the breastmilk in his nose better than the saline drops too, I could see him tasting the milk as it dripped down into his throat

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ugh, sorry you aren't feeling good! I hope you guys both feel well enough to go tomorrow, though! I'm going to talk to dh when he gets home tonight, and will probably be able to make it depending on what time tomorrow. I really want to go. I'll be sure to bring a bunch of large blankets, too...

for the people who don't want to see me NIP my almost 3 yr old to cover their heads with. :
Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM

So, lemme figure this out- Who all is going for sure, and where exactly, and what time? :
Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
So, lemme figure this out- Who all is going for sure, and where exactly, and what time? :
I'll be there. US 41 and Cypress Lake Drive. 12pm. It'll also give me an excuse to make dh take me to the Miromar outlets Do you have my cell phone #? I'll pm you.

There will also be one at the Sarasota Applebees on Main Street.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM

I think we are going. What should we bring? I wonder how long we will be there...? Dh will come with, but Chris will be at his dad's house. He would be bored to death anyway. He'd be like, "so what mom, what's the big deal about a bunch of babies getting milked?" lol...
Old 09-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDayz View Post
I think we are going. What should we bring? I wonder how long we will be there...? Dh will come with, but Chris will be at his dad's house. He would be bored to death anyway. He'd be like, "so what mom, what's the big deal about a bunch of babies getting milked?" lol...
That's cute.
DH and dd are coming along too. I think I am bringing a beach chair. I wish I had an umbrella. I hope we can find some shade.

My printer doesn't work, otherwise I'd print up something to hold. I'm not about to break out the magic markers and posterboard
Old 09-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
That's cute.
DH and dd are coming along too. I think I am bringing a beach chair. I wish I had an umbrella. I hope we can find some shade.

My printer doesn't work, otherwise I'd print up something to hold. I'm not about to break out the magic markers and posterboard
I just got off the phone with Dh and he mentioned that we have to go to sarasota tomorrow am to get some veggies (from jessicas stand) and we are thinking about going to the nurse-in at the main street applebees (downtown sarasota) that would save us about 100 miles of driving, lol:
I'm not sure yet what we are going to do. Call me indecisive!! I wish i had a shirt that would be appropriate to wear... I saw the saying today "they are for more than just selling cars" lol!!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Oh yeah, that is a lot closer to you.

Let's compare notes tomorrow
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 PM

I wish I could go but I'll never make it there in time, I have an 11 am appt. Let me know how it goes!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, that is a lot closer to you.

Let's compare notes tomorrow
Definately!! Are you bringing a sign?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 PM

On another note...
a couple crunchy mommas I know and have yet to meet (from another online board) are going to meet on Thursday, Sept 13 10am at the waterpark in Sarasota (near Marina Jacks).
Everyone here is welcome and encouraged to join us! It'll be me and maybe 2-3 more mommas so far. It should be a blast! I know it's a little bit of a drive, but the waterpark is beautiful and it's free. We'll bring lunch. There is a really nice playground near by too, right next to the fountains. It'll be fun!!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 PM

Nah, I don't have the artistic talent to make up a sign. Hopefully there will be extras. It sounds like there will be a big crowd. I wish I had some advocacy wear for ds and dd

The water park thing sounds cool. Is it just fountains? No pools, right? I'm afraid to go to places like that without dh.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Nah, I don't have the artistic talent to make up a sign. Hopefully there will be extras. It sounds like there will be a big crowd. I wish I had some advocacy wear for ds and dd

The water park thing sounds cool. Is it just fountains? No pools, right? I'm afraid to go to places like that without dh.
I was thinking the same thing! I wish we had some cool shirts to wear. I told dh that I wish I had a recieving blanket with naked ladies on it, you know-to cover up Victoria's head...

The water park is a bunch of big fountains, no pools. I worry about pools too.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM

We're leaving on Thurs, does anyone want to go to the mall tues or wed this week? We can go at any time.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Hi there MJW,

Would love to meet up... How about Weds. at 1 PM? Anybody else?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiea View Post
Hi there MJW,

Would love to meet up... How about Weds. at 1 PM? Anybody else?
We can do that!

And M, check out this thread. Britax on sale. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=747754
Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM

We can do wed at 1pm

G- thanks for the link! I was just thinking today how I need to buy a new seat for her I'll check it out

User Tag List