Dr. Marion Owen in Decatur - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week I wanted to have my son pee in a cup because his urine smelled strange and strong, so I called his pediatrician to arrange it. Happy to tell you what transpired by PM, but... Long story short- she wouldn't do it the way I was asking for, and I made an appointment with a new doctor right before the old one told me she didn't want us as patients anymore. Too late, Ms. Personality- I quit!

The new doctor, who stands head and shoulders above the old one when it comes to compassion and bedside manner, is Dr. Marion Owen of Whole Family Medicine (thanks for the recommendation, pigpokey!)

*So you know- my son HATES going to the doctor. His personality is that he is slow to warm up to people, but his experiences with his ped had ruined him for doctors. During my son's last exam before this, the old ped had him so freaked out that he was screaming and sobbing in my arms. She had no compassion for him, and gave me a dirty look as if there was something wrong with him! I'll never forgive myself for letting her do everything to him when he was so terrified of her.*

Our appointment with Dr. Owen was so relaxed and pleasant! Random things I liked about her:

when I told her we do not vaccinate, she said "I will never hassle you about that. I have patients who make all kinds of different choices about vaccinating."

She did mention signing The Paper, which I'll do. But we forgot on this visit.

She immediately came up with a theory about the cause of a cough dd has had, off and on, for a long time. The most our old ped could think of was "Maybe she's doing it for attention."

When I took ds to the bathroom to pee in the cup, she told me not to retract him. I'm so happy that here is a doctor who does not demonize the foreskin!

Dr. Owen was wonderful with the kids. I had mentioned ds's phobia of doctors ahead of time, and as soon as he started acting scared, she told him he did not have to be examined if he did not want to! What a change from the old ped. Dr. Owen was so kind & friendly that she had him walking onto the scale by himself, and allowing her to examine him on the table. He let her tickle him, and he smiled and laughed through the exam.

She said she likes to treat the whole family, so DP and I will definitely be going to her as well. She did say that her patient roster is filling up fast, so if you are contemplating a switch, make an appointment soon.

I just wish she was closer, but as the previous ped proved, proximity means nothing. I'll drive the 20 extra minutes for a superior doctor!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Glad you had a good experience! We are using her now too. She diagnosed ds3 with food allergies and was right on. I had been taking him in to our other ped knowing something was off for a few years and she couldn't id anything. One visit with Dr Owen and she nailed it. We will all be seeing her.

momma to 4!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 AM

How do you think she'd be about a UC? As I get closer to November, the more nervous I am about taking the little girl in to the ped. and having to skirt the issue of having no mw. Plus I do not like the new dr who is with our current ped. AT ALL. Which is a whole 'nother story. (She told me I needed to retract ds to 'clean' him. I was flabbergasted. That was the 'best' part of it...)

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire View Post
How do you think she'd be about a UC? As I get closer to November, the more nervous I am about taking the little girl in to the ped. and having to skirt the issue of having no mw. Plus I do not like the new dr who is with our current ped. AT ALL. Which is a whole 'nother story. (She told me I needed to retract ds to 'clean' him. I was flabbergasted. That was the 'best' part of it...)
I interviewed her about home birth, and she is fine with the baby but skittish about seeing the pregnant mom during her home birth pregnancy for anything related to the pregnancy at all for liability reasons ... so unlike my FP, she won't be prescribing pitocin if you want it in your labor kit. Since I have no great memory of whether we discussed UC, I'd just tell her you're having a home birth and not discuss the UC. But of home birth she didn't express any reservations.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think she would be fine with the baby no matter how s/he comes into the world, but yeah, I can see her being skittish if she was asked to be the homebirth pregnancy care provider.

I don't want to say she is a nervous person because as a doctor, she gives off such a calm and competent vibe. But maybe as a mother, she sort of expects the worst to happen? Lula has a glittery-painted chopstick that she takes with her sometimes; it's her Fairy Wand. Dr. Owen said "Please promise me that no one will get poked in the eye with that, I get nervous with sticks!" Also she was jittery when Marcos spun around on the chair in the exam room, saying he might fall off. Which, he might. But he never has. And if he did, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me or him. She is one of those worried moms, I guess, and I'm not. That is OK, because when it came to medical questions, she did not jump to the worst case scenario at all. Very happy with her.

~*Kristi*~

Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM

We love Dr.Owen!! So glad we found her!!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM

We LOVE her too! I have tried several recommended doctors in the area and had disappointing experiences after awhile. Dr. Owen has been great with all of us.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 AM

kristi, what was the office like, like the atmosphere/ambiance? was it kid friendly, relaxing? what were the exam rooms like?

ps check your PMs

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Christine! Sorry, I haven't been on but I just PM'd you back. The office looks funny from the outside- it looks like it used to be a motel! But inside it is VERY relaxing and nice. There's a couch in the waiting area, and a small bookshelf full of kids' books.

When she and her nurse took us back, we first went into another very homey room with a loveseat. We sat there. Dr. Owen talked to us about medical history, etc. and entered our answers into her computer in a chair across from us. I think this may have been one of the key things that made Marcos comfortable there. He wiggled and rolled around behind me on the couch while we talked, and nobody tried to touch him! He didn't have to go straight into the exam room.

Then we went down the hall to get weighed and measured. He surprised us by jumping right up on the scale, even before Lula. He had definitely already decided he liked her while we were in the other room.

After that we went into the exam room. I remember it as small and without glaringly bright lights. It was decorated simply, with little round cardboard craft boxes painted in bright colors and glued on the wall. It looked cuter than it sounds! Definitely a room geared to kids. I told DP it looked like Trading Spaces had been in there.

After the exams & peeing-in-a-cup, she told us he was clean, and we went out to reception, where she gave the kids stickers and asked Marcos if he would let her be his doctor. He smiled and shyly said yes. She was like a miracle worker.

~*Kristi*~

Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Well good, y'all will be over by my house more often, and hopefully I will get to see you
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM

I just wanted to say that I saw Dr Owen today and loved her! She actually had some ideas for the cause of my DD rash and gave me some suggestions on what I can do to help (she is EBF right now). My other pediatrician just told me to put hydrocortisone on it. She didn't push vaccines, but told me which ones we might want to consider and why. She made me feel very comfortable and really listened to my concerns. I'm so glad I read this and made the switch!

User Tag List