Here comes Fay! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallielynn01 View Post
Yes, but too me a hurricane is much better to deal with, in terms of predictability and the ability to get away, then floods, earthquakes, fire seasons, snow and ice storms, tornadoes, and other things it seems like I hear about on the news every day happening in other states.

All of these big storms cause problems, even if its just flooding etc. Its the bad ones, the katrinas, the andrews, even charlies, etc that cause major problems. But they don't happen as often as these smaller storms.

I suppose it seems silly to some to stay here, but over all, they are not a big deal to deal with, and most of us get through just fine. Tornadoes, fires and landslides scare me much more :P JMO
That's exactly how I feel. Hurricanes and blizzards, you have warning for. You get what you need, prepare your house, and be careful. Or, in the case of hurricanes, if there's a chance it'll be bad, you do all of the above and pack up your precious things and go on a 'vacation'. LOL I evacuated for those 3 storms in 2004 (we were Vero Beach, so hit hard there). I was 32-36 weeks pregnant for them. Our house lost power for days and the floodwaters were halfway up our yard (yeah, our neighbors had those 'no wake zone' signs LOL) since it was a low-lying area. I love Florida, and I relish having a warning for the storms!

FYI, for the mama who mentioned no tornado sirens here: get a weather radio. We used to have one that was basically on all the time in standby, and if the NWS issued a tornado or other severe weather warning, it would turn on with an alarm and the warning.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#62 of 64 Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM

Tallahassee here again. Decent amount of flooding, and we got more freaking thunderstorms again today! Some of our major traffic routes are closed due to roads being washed out or underwater so driving to work was a pain. Some people had to be evacuated, and some of the rivers are still being watched carefully because they might flood if they haven't already.
#63 of 64 Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Are you all following Gustav? I really hope it does not come this way! If it makes it up to the gulf, we could be in trouble. I wish we could just go on "vacation" when hurricanes come up this way, but we can't because DH works in Public Safety and is on-call during bad weather! :

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#64 of 64 Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM

I'm in Tallahassee, too, and we came through just fine. Our basement flooded, but we live on a hill, so that was the worst we faced. Somehow all our giant live oaks are still standing, and no branches fell on our house or cars.
I think we're pretty lucky up here in Tallahassee - it's not usually in the path of the hurricanes, and we're far enough from the coast that storm surge doesn't affect us. I've only lived here 4 years, but so far so good!
I'm glad everyone else made it through okay!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page