Here comes Fay! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any of Floridians gearing up for Fay? Im in central florida and people are way overreacting in my opinion. I checked my local publix and water is already sold out! It's still a tropical storm at this point. All the schools around here are closed tomorrow including the colleges.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah they are overreacting. We didn't even buy water.....

I have training the next 3 days and I just found out it's still on. At least I-4 won't be busy
#3 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Any of Floridians gearing up for Fay? Im in central florida and people are way overreacting in my opinion. I checked my local publix and water is already sold out! It's still a tropical storm at this point. All the schools around here are closed tomorrow including the colleges.
Famous last words!

I don't live anywhere near Florida..but the whole hurricane/tropical storm thing is fascinating to me. We don't get anything like that where I am.
#4 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliceinwonderland View Post
Famous last words!
:

We never batted an eyelash at a tropical storm when we lived in FL until 2004 when two hurricanes and a tropical storm hit our house. After that, we had our supplies ready and if there was any chance of loosing power, it was off to grandma's house in Tampa!
#5 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:18 PM

The thing that's always amazed me is, why would people live there? I mean..you guys get these storms every year right? There's even a "hurricane season".

Maybe it's because they make them sound soo horrible on the news when they're probably not, but if I was looking to move, I definitely would not be heading somewhere that got a lot of tornadoes/hurricanes.

But again, I'm from a place where the worst we've had was the ZOMG ICE STORM '98! or whenever. Really was not that scary Maybe people who don't get blizzards would think it was though?
#6 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM

All of our stuff is in a storage unit in FL, but we're in California. Tropical storms were never a huge deal...even Cat 1's weren't so bad. We're not really worried about our stuff there.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#7 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The thing that's always amazed me is, why would people live there? I mean..you guys get these storms every year right? There's even a "hurricane season".
We lived there for dh's job, which is the only reason we live anywhere

It was an awesome place to be, minus the hurricanes. We had minimal damage to our home but we did see so many people suffer severe damage and that was very sad. I would probably move back someday but I sure would miss having a basement
#8 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe it's because they make them sound soo horrible on the news when they're probably not, but if I was looking to move, I definitely would not be heading somewhere that got a lot of tornadoes/hurricanes.

But again, I'm from a place where the worst we've had was the ZOMG ICE STORM '98! or whenever. Really was not that scary Maybe people who don't get blizzards would think it was though?

Usually the coastal areas get hit the hardest and everyone else just gets lots of rain and power outtages here and there for less than a week. I guess people live on the coast because it's so pretty. The news definitely hypes it up. Most of the newer homes are pretty solid, but mobile homes have a tough time.

#9 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM

There's a storm rolling in here too..here's the warning from the weather network..

A SHARP COLD FRONT APPROACHING FROM NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO WILL SWEEP ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. AS THE COLD FRONT LIFTS THE HOT AND UNSTABLE AIR AHEAD OF IT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL FORM THIS AFTERNOON AND PROGRESS SOUTHWARD TOWARDS THE LOWER LAKES AND THE ST LAWRENCE RIVER THIS EVENING. MAIN THREATS WITH THESE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WIND GUSTS..FURTHERMORE..AN ISOLATED TORNADO CANNOT BE RULED OUT. SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO WILL ALSO SEE SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS FORM AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT THIS AFTERNOON. SOME OF THESE STORMS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE SEVERE WITH THE MAIN THREAT BEING LARGE HAIL AND STRONG WIND GUSTS. THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH WILL MOST LIKELY BE EXTENDED TO OTHER REGIONS ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO LATER TODAY. ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE DEVELOPING CONDITIONS.

What are you supposed to do in the event of a tornado?
#10 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Tornadoes don't hit a large geographical area like hurricanes do. Like with hurricanes, "little tornadoes" are more common and those will just take a few shingles off of your roof.

I lived my whole life in tornado alley and have never been in danger nor have I ever lost anything to a tornado. They aren't really a big deal..unless there is a big one and those are rare.

Quote:

What are you supposed to do in the event of a tornado?
Just get in the middle of your house, away from windows.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#11 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Tornadoes don't hit a large geographical area like hurricanes do. Like with hurricanes, "little tornadoes" are more common and those will just take a few shingles off of your roof.

I lived my whole life in tornado alley and have never been in danger nor have I ever lost anything to a tornado.

Just get in the middle of your house, away from windows.
I live in a small apartment on the third floor..should I uh, go to the first floor if I see something coming?

On the bright side, our building is basically a huge slab of concrete..so that would be pretty solid, right?
#12 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I live in a small apartment on the third floor..should I uh, go to the first floor if I see something coming?

On the bright side, our building is basically a huge slab of concrete..so that would be pretty solid, right?
Well, it probably wouldn't be a big one so it wouldn't be a big deal but usually they say to go the bottom floor, preferably a basement if there is one

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I got a bit of extra water and canned goods...I live in that lovely area that got nailed by a couple hurricanes in a row a few years back and killed power for awhile so I keep stuff on hand.

Loads of fun.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#14 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Last night I was getting pretty annoyed with the every 15 minute updates on the tv showing Fay another mile closer. Really. Every 15 minutes. As if in that time it was going to careen across the state with no notice. Arg.

To answer your question, no we didn't do much. We're pretty much in the dead center of the state and on high ground so at most we will get lots of rain and maybe lose power for a bit.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#15 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
every 15 minute updates on the tv showing Fay another mile closer. Really. Every 15 minutes. As if in that time it was going to careen across the state with no notice. Arg.
: I'm sorry but that just gave me this mental image of a hurricane just peeking around then scooting across the map as fast as it could get it! I think it should be a new smiley or something!
Yeah, the updates every five seconds are annoying, though.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#16 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Fluff? Check
Peanut butter? Check
Red wine? Check
Dog food? Check

All set.
#17 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM

we haven't done anything. i am just hoping school doesn't get cancelled :

eta: oh we did move some stuff aroung in the garage so the cars could fit in cause dh was a bit concerned about falling pine trees
#18 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

I'm in Orlando. We already have supplies -- just ones we get at the beginning of the season so we don't have to think about it all season -- but I am so not worried at all.

I know Bob Opsal would LOVE it if the central florida region was devastated (the newscasters get so giddy it seems at any chance of a big story) but I feel it will be just some rain, little wind gusts.

DD is a charlie baby though -- we were without power for 9 days so there wasn't much else to do but... ya know...
#19 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post

I know Bob Opsal would LOVE it if the central florida region was devastated (the newscasters get so giddy it seems at any chance of a big story) but I feel it will be just some rain, little wind gusts.
: That is so true....he does seem giddy. This will just be some bad rain I think. I really should get more prepared though in case something big hits.

To PP about why we live here....if you don't live on the coast, it's pretty rare something serious will happen. I do agree that I don't get some people like in the keys where the roof gets blown off on average once every 5 years. That is annoying.
#20 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 PM

To prepare for this rain storm I...

Mowed, because I wont have a chance for a few days because of the rain
Put up my deck furniture
Did laundry.

I was stuck w/o power for 4 days during a snow storm years ago. I hadn't done laundry in weeks because I was working so much and finally got a day off to do it. The power went out half way through the first load. So whenever there is a hint of storms, I go into laundry mode.

I think the news media is going crazy with this one because it's the first of the season. Tomorrow WAS to be the first day of school for my kidlets, they've been homeschooled the past couple of years and are going back this year. They've waited for this day all summer, and then it gets canceled. LOL they were so bummed.
#21 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Well, we're in South Kendall in Miami, almost in Homestead, actually (last stop before you leave the mainland for the Keys).

So when it looked like Fay was going to hit the keys hard, we considered for a bit putting up the shutters. OK, shutters is a fancy name for wood boards, b/c our landlord is too cheap for real hurricane shutters.

But once Fay hit the keys, she slowed way down and so we didn't. And now we're sitting here listening to the rain and wind, but it's nothing major.

This is only our second hurricane season here, and last year was nothing, so we freaked out a little. By freaked out, I mean we bought water and a flashlight and considered shuttering the house. But then we realized we were overreacting, so we calmed down.

ETA: oh, yeah, the first and second days of school were cancelled. But it didn't affect us since we homeschool...

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#22 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Yeah, we are inland so we are not too worried. With a Cat 1/2 a direct hit just means slightly heavier than usual rain. DH did trim some overhanging branches today.

Bummer for the kids who are starting school this week.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#23 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM

Eh, what's a little rain and wind? No preperations here, except moving my car out from under the poinciana tree to visitor parking. (Visitors don't get shade in my complex.) I find it really hard to get worked up over a little tropical storm. I am grateful for the 2 days off from work, and the kids are stoked at getting 2 more days of summer vacation.

I'll take Florida and hurricanes over tornados, earthquakes, and blizzards any day of the week.
#24 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM

Ok, well all of us central Floridians need to make a plan to crash the MDC members house that still has power!!! You guys are all welcome here with us, we have a generator and a deep freezer...How neat would it be to actually MEET other ap mama's here?!?! :
#25 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
I'm in Orlando. We already have supplies -- just ones we get at the beginning of the season so we don't have to think about it all season -- but I am so not worried at all.

DD is a charlie baby though -- we were without power for 9 days so there wasn't much else to do but... ya know...
We found a kitten after Charlie and named it...wait for it...Charlie. Hahahaha!! I was in Arcadia at the time...we got blitzed.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#26 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Ok, well all of us central Floridians need to make a plan to crash the MDC members house that still has power!!! You guys are all welcome here with us, we have a generator and a deep freezer...How neat would it be to actually MEET other ap mama's here?!?! :
*coughs loudly*
#27 of 64 Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder how many of you I have already met. Im terrible at remembering people's usernames. Mommy2abigail I think I met you a year or 2 ago at disney marketplace...

#28 of 64 Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN View Post
Well, we're in South Kendall in Miami, almost in Homestead, actually (last stop before you leave the mainland for the Keys).
I'm in Kendall, Land of Strip Malls, too!
#29 of 64 Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
I wonder how many of you I have already met. Im terrible at remembering people's usernames. Mommy2abigail I think I met you a year or 2 ago at disney marketplace...
You are the one who originally told me about LLL meetings and gave me the info so I'm sure we have met!

I’ve probably met most of you moms already through LLL or other parenting things I do

ETA: work did not get cancelled for us today
#30 of 64 Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
: I'm sorry but that just gave me this mental image of a hurricane just peeking around then scooting across the map as fast as it could get it! I think it should be a new smiley or something!
Yeah, the updates every five seconds are annoying, though.
: Him maybe? :

I srsly remember back in 92 waiting for Andrew to hit, we lived in Homestead (on the air force base even), and had evac'd to my moms in SW Georgia the morning before it hit. I'm sure some mama's here remember.. for a full 36hours before it hit there was NOTHING else to be found on tv There was a whole lot of that 'updateless updating' Cuz, seriously.. the storm covered half the damn Atlantic lol, how fast is something that big gonna move without a whole lot of notice?

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page