Any Ft. Walton Beach/Niceville/Crestview Mama's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH & I are going to be moving down to the area either in this Dec or in June 09. So I'm wondering if there will be any other MDC Mama's down there? I have lots of family from around there but they mostly think I'm a bit weird and "out there" so I'd like to met some like minded Mama's. I know I have a bit of time but I'd like to start getting to know y'all.
#2 of 42 Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 PM

I know one! SheBear is in the Crestview area. My family has a place in MAry Esther, just east of Ft. Walton, and we visit each summer for a few weeks. I betcha we could hook up!
#3 of 42 Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Hello, and welcome to the area in advance. Yeah, SheBear lives in Crestview and is really sweet. I know her from MDC and LLL meetings. I also live in the area, but I live about 30 minutes from Niceville and 45 from Crestview and Ft.Walton. But there are some nice parks and Children's play grounds in Niceville.

I have a DD who will be 4 soon a DS who is 2.5 and expecting #3 in March. It would be great to have some like minded friends. I just live so far out from everybody else. I live in a very small town about 30 min from everywhere. Anyway PM me if you want and we can try to hook up when you get into town.

Full time mom to 10/04 2/06 and my sweet surpise 3/09
#4 of 42 Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks sooo very much ladies!

Hayes, yes, next year when you come down to Mary Esther let me know! I am from the area so I know Mary Esther very well.

mom2pm,
Thanks for the welcome. I sent you a PM! I look forward to getting to know you before I move down there!
#5 of 42 Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Hi! I saw your post just before the Tribal forum got shut down, then I forgot to come back here and look for it! There are a handful of other MDC mamas here in Crestview & surrounding areas, and there are several crunchy/sweet mamas here that don't post (or if they do, I haven't found them out yet, LOL!) You will definitely be able to find at least a small group of like-minded mamas!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#6 of 42 Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM

I am new to the Crestview area and am looking to meet some crunchy moms like myself. So far I've only met the few people that I've been working with in the Ft.Walton Beach Medical Center. My son is 8months and steady growing like a weed. I would love to get to know some people from the area
#7 of 42 Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM

I never get on here much anymore and was surprised to see this one! I'm in CV as well! I've been looking for crunchy mamas. SheBear and I keep trying to get together...one of these days LOL (by the way, I changed my name from Goldenautumn to this one because I kept forgetting my password and which email I had it linked with!). Anyways, we should try to get a meetup going or maybe start a yahoo group for Crestview Crunchies. What do you all think?
#8 of 42 Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 AM

HI there. We are military and are going to Hurlburt sometime in the spring. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether to rent or buy in the area? The hurricans really make me anxious about buying in that area...

We can't wait to go to Florida!
#9 of 42 Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Well, it's definitely a good time to be a buyer, LOL! I think it mostly depends on where you look. We are fairly well "protected" here in Crestview...we get lots of wind and rain, but minimal flooding. During the very worst of the storms (Andrew) Crestivew has become basically an island. Insurance-wise, it sucks, but you'll likely have better luck North of I-10. That seems to be the (very arbitrary) line.

Crestview is a great place to live, and the schools are good (and Florida is AWESOME for homeschooling!). It would mean a bit of a commute to Hurlburt, but not horrible.

HTH, and welcome (almost!) to Florida!

#10 of 42 Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 PM

I felt the same way before moving here (we moved here in April of this year). Most of the time I wish that I lived in Niceville/Shalimar/FWB, but this hurricane season made me glad that I live in Crestview, especially on top of one of the hills (who knew this part of FL was rolling?!). It is definitely a good time to buy and housing in Crestview is newer and much more reasonable. Crestview is a little isolated, IMO. I don't like driving 1/2 hour to base or 1 hour to P'cola and I usually just try to stay in or stay in Crestview to do things. I'm finding things to do here but it's taken me a while. I also have found some nice people here, which has also taken a little while!

I know people who live in Navarre, much closer to Hurlburt, where housing is also newer and reasonable as well, but you are out there closer to the gulf. I live South of I-10 in CV and think it is worth it to pay a little more to shave time off the commute. If you have any more questions about the area, let me know! HTH
#11 of 42 Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I stumbled on this thread on a list of new posts and now I'm wistfully thinking of home the next county over (Milton area).
#12 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Well, it's definitely a good time to be a buyer, LOL! I think it mostly depends on where you look. We are fairly well "protected" here in Crestview...we get lots of wind and rain, but minimal flooding. During the very worst of the storms (Andrew) Crestivew has become basically an island. Insurance-wise, it sucks, but you'll likely have better luck North of I-10. That seems to be the (very arbitrary) line.

Crestview is a great place to live, and the schools are good (and Florida is AWESOME for homeschooling!). It would mean a bit of a commute to Hurlburt, but not horrible.

I am new to the board and wanted to say that I live North of C'view. I just found out about being pg and was looking fro some info on local midwives, doulas etc..
#13 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshDidysOnLine View Post
I felt the same way before moving here (we moved here in April of this year). Most of the time I wish that I lived in Niceville/Shalimar/FWB, but this hurricane season made me glad that I live in Crestview, especially on top of one of the hills (who knew this part of FL was rolling?!). It is definitely a good time to buy and housing in Crestview is newer and much more reasonable. Crestview is a little isolated, IMO. I don't like driving 1/2 hour to base or 1 hour to P'cola and I usually just try to stay in or stay in Crestview to do things. I'm finding things to do here but it's taken me a while. I also have found some nice people here, which has also taken a little while!

I know people who live in Navarre, much closer to Hurlburt, where housing is also newer and reasonable as well, but you are out there closer to the gulf. I live South of I-10 in CV and think it is worth it to pay a little more to shave time off the commute. If you have any more questions about the area, let me know! HTH
Hello! I am new to the board and wanted to say Hi. I live North of C'view and come to "town" to do all the nessacary stuff. I C'view still has that samll town look to it. I tell everyone that its moving up we have 3 McDonalds now!! Two waffle houses, 2 Burger Kings! We are big time! LOL!
#14 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Thank you for your kind responses. Is Crestview within walking distance to a beach?? That is important to us! I haven't researched much of the area yet. Navarre was a place that I had heard a lot about.
#15 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM

May09, welcome! You edited, but if you want any info about midwives, etc., PM me! LOL about the 3 McDonalds...I had to stop and count....I always forget the one by Winn Dixie!

Cardinal, LOL! No Crestview isn't in walking distance from the beach....we are about 35 miles north of the coast. Almost exactly halfway between the coastline and the Alabama line. Also at a higher elevation; that is why we are "protected" from the worst of hurricane damage. Here's a map to give you a better sense of things. Hope that helps!

#16 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Thank you for your kind responses. Is Crestview within walking distance to a beach?? That is important to us! I haven't researched much of the area yet. Navarre was a place that I had heard a lot about.
If you want to live w/i walking distance to the beach, I would suggest Navarre. We have friends who live there and love it for that reason. CV is about 30 min from the beach. We usually drive 45 min and go to the beach on base, which is usually less crowded. Btw, if you are looking for a realtor, we had a great one - Christine with Eglin Realty. She works through one of the military programs, can't remember what it is called. If you want her contact info, PM me.
#17 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
May09, welcome! LOL about the 3 McDonalds...I had to stop and count....
Don't forget that we have 2 burger kings! Regular metropolis here in CV!
#18 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshDidysOnLine View Post
Don't forget that we have 2 burger kings! Regular metropolis here in CV!
LOL What about two Waffle houses? Now that is getting Big Time, I tell ya!
I live North of town out in Baker. Now that is Big time!
#19 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 PM

My dh works at the Baker School, May09izfine! We loooove to go visit Daddy for lunch....love us some Gator Grill! We love to go visit the little park out there too--we should meet up some time!

(yes, I am quite admittedly and unashamedly desperate for some Mommy friends...just ask Autumn!

#20 of 42 Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
May09, welcome! You edited, but if you want any info about midwives, etc., PM me! LOL about the 3 McDonalds...I had to stop and count....I always forget the one by Winn Dixie!

Cardinal, LOL! No Crestview isn't in walking distance from the beach....we are about 35 miles north of the coast. Almost exactly halfway between the coastline and the Alabama line. Also at a higher elevation; that is why we are "protected" from the worst of hurricane damage. Here's a map to give you a better sense of things. Hope that helps!
sorry about that. Haven't seen a map of the area yet. We literally just found out last week that we'll be headed your way. I have heard a lot of names of places thrown around but I hadn't seen a map yet. Thank you!!
#21 of 42 Old 09-21-2008, 04:30 PM

Boy I am nervous about buying a house in that area. We're beach lovers so I think that we'd want to live near the coastline b/c we'd likely go every other day and gas is so $$$ that it'd be hard to drive that far from CV every day. Where are the good school districts?
#22 of 42 Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'd love to try homeschooling but I'd have to do a co-op because I would do terrible on my own!
#23 of 42 Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:

(yes, I am quite admittedly and unashamedly desperate for some Mommy friends...just ask Autumn!
Hahaha...I've been that way since I've moved here and I'm finally "finding my tribe":
#24 of 42 Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
Boy I am nervous about buying a house in that area. We're beach lovers so I think that we'd want to live near the coastline b/c we'd likely go every other day and gas is so $$$ that it'd be hard to drive that far from CV every day. Where are the good school districts?
I hear ya. I hate the drive from CV, but it really isn't too bad to Eglin. Navarre wouldn't be bad if you are going to be at Hurlburt and you'd still be at the beach. I understand about buying a house close to the ocean. I'm not from here and I am terrified of hurricanes! People here in CV act like it's no big deal (but then again Sarah called CV its own little island )

Everyone says that OK county schools are all pretty much good - supposedly this is the best county in FL. I know Antioch here in CV is one of the top rated ones. Apart from that, I'm not sure because DD is too young for me to think about schools (if we go that route).
#25 of 42 Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM

LOL, I wasn't laughing *at* you, Cardinal, just laughing a bit enviously at the idea of being close enough to walk to the beach! Ahhhh!

In Florida, each county has it's own school district, pretty much no matter how big the county is. So you are looking at Okaloosa and Santa Rosa FTMP. Possibly Escambia, but unlikely.

Okaloosa encompasses Destin, FWB, Niceville, and Crestview, etc. It is a top-notch school district. My dh's secular job is in administration, he's worked this job for 6.5 years and taught in the classroom for 3 years before that. The schools are good. Of course, some schools are better than others....what levels are you looking at? All the Niceville schools are great, and Crestview schools rock.....dunno a lot about FWB, and dh doesn't have a lot of specific insight into the schools in that end of the county.

Dunno much about Santa Rosa schools (Navarre, Milton, etc), but I've heard that Escambia (Pensacola, etc) schools aren't the greatest....a lot of teachers live in Escambia county, but drive over here to teach in Okaloosa! I'll ask dh for some "insider" information for you tomorrow....in the meantime, this website might be interesting to you!

#26 of 42 Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM

SheBear -- What denomination does your DH serve? We're Baptists, so I was just curious.

My DS will be turning 4 right after we arrive, so we'd maybe do pre-k or a preschool type of place. Are there montessori schools there?

Thank you for the info on school districts. I appreciate the "insider" tips!!!!
#27 of 42 Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

We are Baptist too--Primitive Baptist!

There IS a montessori school here is Cvw, and several others in surrounding areas, but alas, I don't know any more about them.

#28 of 42 Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
We are Baptist too--Primitive Baptist!

There IS a montessori school here is Cvw, and several others in surrounding areas, but alas, I don't know any more about them.
I had not heard of the Primitive Baptist Church before so I googled it and read about it yesterday!

Do you homeschool?
#29 of 42 Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Cool! yeah, our greatest shame is that lotsa people *haven't* heard of us....we are trying to change that...

Yep! Our eldest is 6.5 and we started schooling him officially last fall, but he learned to read at just barely 4 years old.....learned it all on his own! So it has been pretty easy...we started him with 1st grade last year because K would have been a waste of time....this year he's doing 2nd, he's holding his own but it is sufficiently challenging, and we are starting our dd on K stuff. She's not reading yet, but she wants to.

Trying to keep 'em both busy is kicking my butt though!

#30 of 42 Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Cool! yeah, our greatest shame is that lotsa people *haven't* heard of us....we are trying to change that...

Yep! Our eldest is 6.5 and we started schooling him officially last fall, but he learned to read at just barely 4 years old.....learned it all on his own! So it has been pretty easy...we started him with 1st grade last year because K would have been a waste of time....this year he's doing 2nd, he's holding his own but it is sufficiently challenging, and we are starting our dd on K stuff. She's not reading yet, but she wants to.

Trying to keep 'em both busy is kicking my butt though!

Is your Church thus called XYZ Primitive Baptist Church? I haven't seen any around here in Arkansaw.

Reading by himself at 4!! That's amazing. I think homeschooling is fantastic but I don't know that I have the knack for it. When I am home I either want to clean compulsively or watch TV, so I think the distractions might prove to be too much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page