Mothering Forum banner

Moving to South Florida in December

2K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  green_momma2007 
#1 ·
Can you tell I'm trying to be enthusiastic about this move
: We moved to Seattle from Miami when I was 7 1/2 months preggo. Now my son is about 19 months and we've decided to move back. I am having a hard time with ppd and the weather here is super depressing. The community is AMAZING though and I'm really hoping that I will have at least a couple of like minded mama friends in the Florida. So, anyone around? Anyone at all?

See less See more
#3 ·
yay
: I'm so happy that I got a response

I am moving to Broward county most likely. We're thinking North Ft Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. I would love to get your recommendations for neighborhoods, kid friendly restaurants, pediatricians, and generally anything else that will make my life easier

Nice to meet you, MommyJoia

#5 ·
Nice to meet you, flminivanmama

Thanks for the idea about LLL. I actually haven't even gone to a meeting here and I'm still nursing my son who is 18 months. I am looking forward to meeting some new friends...

So, what kind of parks and fun stuff is there to do with the lo's. I was told that the Children's Museum in Ft. Lauderdale was really great.

#6 ·

Well, it's official. We have our one way ticket for Nov 21. I know there has to be more mamas out there....

I'm going to find out were they have the LLL meeting...

#7 ·
Hi mama, I'm quite a bit north in SW FL but wanted to welcome you back to FL! I hope you have an easy move. You're comin back just in time for the beautiful FL "winter"

#8 ·
Hi Gavin'smom,

Welcome back! Florida is a fabulous place to be, and I bet there is an active group of mamas in Miami area. MDC user MiamiMami might know (G, if you read this, hope you don't mind me offering you up!).

We are about 4 hrs west from Miami but have a fairly active group of mama and baby buddies.

#9 ·
Thanks Jilian and Aiea,

We timed our move so we would get there right when the weather was getting nice
: I don't think I could stand going back during the muggy summertime. I am just starting to wrap my head around this move....and I'm getting excited about it.

Yay!! I'm looking forward to going to the Keys. I love SW Fl too. My cousin lives over there, it's beautiful in Bonita Springs.

#11 ·
Hi,
Hollywood is a great area for families. I'm a Miami native, and we are selling our condo in N Miami at the end of the month to move to a house in Hollywood. There is a LLL at the hollywood birth center, an active group of AP moms, and lots of home schoolers of all different varities too. There attleare tons of great parks, and plenty of cool mamas to meet too. I actually have a childhood friend who moved back to miami from seattle about a year ago. her son is about 3. My daughter will be 2 in november and we have a great group of people we spend time with. feel free to pm me with any questions pre move or once you get settled.

#12 ·
Yay! I'm glad to find some mamas that are close. I am definitely up for getting together with the kiddos. I think the hardest part for me about moving is that becoming a mother just changes you and I've built a network of friends and now we're going to be in totally different place. Even though we'll have family around it's just not the same, iykwim.

I have considered moving to Hollywood but it's a little to far from my family. My father lives in Margate and my aunt lives in WPB. I was thinking Pompano would be a good halfway point. What do you ladies think? It's funny that I've only been gone for 2 years and I already can't remember how far things are. I know when we lived in Miami Beach, it took about and hour and fifteen minutes to get to WPB, speeding
Which I don't do much of anymore, since I have precious cargo....

Nice to meet you, 1hautemama and amandapearl

#13 ·
I found your post very interesting. My husband and I have discussed moving to OR. It seems all the natural living mamas are out there. I live is S. FL as well (port st lucie), and since I became a mother 4 yrs ago, I haven't met any other breastfeeding, natural birth, cloth diapering, planning to homeschool, organic living mamas. NONE!!! Either I just can't find them (Maybe we have 1 car and my hubby works 6 days a week so I can stay home with our 2 girls, so I don't get out much) or they are just not here.

Anyway, if u don't mind me asking why are you comming back? Were there really lots of natural mamas out there? How bad was the weather? And what is the comparison with the cost of living?

I grew up in PA and wanted to live in FL my whole life. It is beautiful here, and i love the weather, but that is it. Crime, Drugs, Bad schools, bad people, cost of living, are all the reasons we want out of at least this area.

Hope to get some good info. And best of luck with your move. At least down south there seems to be more like minded mamas.

#15 ·
Organiclivingmama - Well, there are tons of natural living mamas out here. I think it seems like it's actually the norm to nurse your kids till two and cloth diaper. Everyone is a hippie in Seattle. I have made lots of friends here for sure. But being around like minded people isn't everything...and it's not necessarily realistic either. For example, the internet is kind of a narrow way of getting parenting advice. I love coming on MDC but the world is not full of people that are exactly like me and that would narrow my ability to learn different and possibly complimentary ways of living...ykwim.

That said, if my family lived out here we would probably stay. The main reason why we're going back is because we want to be closer to our family. Life is short and we want out lo to be able to know his grandparents and family. It's also easier for us too
I had ppd when my son was born and didn't realize it until I started having panic attacks about two months ago. So, knowing what I now know about ppd, I think it would be better for us to raise our son and any future babes closer to our family..and in better weather. Seriously, the rainy weather is pretty bad. It's pretty much gray and dark from November until April. Don't get me wrong, you might see a little blue sky but you will feel the difference....

Finally....I think if you got out of the house more, you might find other mamas that are like minded. I mean, I didn't become the way I am just from moving to Seattle. I have several friends in South Florida that are like me...and I've already met a couple mamas here
So, I'm optimistic.

I hope you find some peace living in Port St. Lucie. My mother lives up there. If I'm ever coming up, I'll send you a post and maybe we can meet up.

#16 ·
Another thing that I didn't think about is that we're going to need a new pediatrician. I have my son on delay/partial vax schedule and I'm wondering how difficult it is going to be to find a dr to work with us? Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks
Amy

#17 ·
if you are willing to drive, Denise Punger in Ft Pierce is the best.

http://www.twofloridadocs.com

http://permissiontomother.blogspot.com

otherwise - I just switched back to my old pediatriction when we moved back to Boca in June - David Marcus. He's with Pediatric associates which is all over... I'm not sure how non-vax friendly they are but we like him a lot.....

#18 ·
Thanks flminivan. I think Ft. Pierce is a bit far for us but Boca is within range. Thanks for the recommendations.

#21 ·
Hi torio and pigpen. I'm looking forward to the move
I am glad to find some like-minded mamas, too. We're still not sure where we're moving exactly. I think we'll have to wait till we get a little closer to the date. We are starting to organize the house though....I've sold some furniture on craigslist..yay!

#22 ·
Welcome back!

I am a FL native, and my DH, DD (17 months) and I live in Deerfield (just south of Boca). We are actually trying to head out of town (out west, to Utah for DH's job) as well.

It hasn't been easy for me to find any natural birthing/homeschooling/AP folks close by. Most (okay all) of our friends live up in Lake Worth. There is a huge group of natural mommas down in Hollywood also. With gas prices being so high, though, I really don't get the chance to go either direction too often.

I wanted to vouch for Dr. David Marcus. Aside from the super busy waiting room and some less-than-great staff, the Dr. himself is the best I could hope for. He is fine with no vax (no attitude, no questions). We had to sign a release (just to release Pediatric Associates from fault if DD was to fall ill of a "vax preventable" illness), but since that's in our folder...there have been no questions/comments. He is the third pediatrician I interviewed/used in the area. He is great with kids, funny and light-hearted.

I wish you the best with your move and new home!

#23 ·
Thanks Mama2me,

We'll have to check out Dr. David Marcus. I'm really thankful for the recommendation. We're starting to pack now and we've managed to sell some things on craigslist.

Well, good luck to you too....if your around in November we could meet up. I'll have to host a playdate with all the mdc mamas I've been meeting online.

Amy

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin'smom View Post
yay
: I'm so happy that I got a response

I am moving to Broward county most likely. We're thinking North Ft Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. I would love to get your recommendations for neighborhoods, kid friendly restaurants, pediatricians, and generally anything else that will make my life easier

The womans center in Hollywood opened a few months back,
http://www.sflwhc.org/
they have lots of events & like minded folks, many of whom go to Josh's Organic Garden, an organic outdoor market & juicebar.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/hollywood.html

I head down to Hollywood about once a week to see my family, just moved up to Juno Beach (N. Palm Beach) for my husband's job, I really miss Hollywood & my friends down there (miss cali more though), I'm feeling like i'm in a whole diff world here. I need to find some like minded folks here...

Best wishes to you. Maybe i'll see u at Josh's sometime.

#26 ·
Hi mamas,

I just wanted to say hello
:

We're going to be heading south soon...in two weeks. I hear the weather is really nice right now. We still haven't found a place to live but hopefully we will soon. My hubby is going to be staying behind for a month to finish up some last minute things.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.