My IL's live in Boca and it looks like my FIL is terminal, so we are planning to come down to the SFLA area and "park it" for a while (until he dies, I guess) to help out with driving to doc appts, etc. DH does consulting work all over the world, so he can live anywhere as long as it's got access to an airport.
Me, I'm pickier LOL. I lived in Boca for about six months when I was pg with ds1 (about 9 years ago) and LOATHED it (though, when I then moved to Orlando, I realized what LOATHE really means LOL). Suffice it to say I'm not a big FL fan but I know we need to be there temporarily... SO... that said, this is what I'm hoping for in an area/neighborhood (it doesn't have to be right IN Boca, just close enough and if it's outside of Boca, I'd rather it be on the Ft. Lauderdale side):
1. Inclusive and eclectic home schooling community... I'm an atheist, so I'm not going to fit in with a christian/religious group, no matter HOW "inclusive" they are LOL (I'm looking around for Yahoo groups, etc. too)
2. AP mama's in the area, preferably some queer mama's as well.
3. Access to museums and kid-friendly stuff, preferably inside stuff as I can't stand the humidity (though, winter will probably not be bad)... parks, etc. are important, too.
4. Good gyms and yoga studios in the area... I need a full service gym that offers classes, has good, well-maintained equipment, child care, etc.
5. Access to fun extra curricular stuff for my kids to do. Here, they take fencing, ice skating, spanish, acting, etc... tons of classes, most of which are for home schoolers.
6. Access to decent libraries.
7. A good, extremely liberal UU church.
8. LGBT groups in the area if possible.
Any other ideas or advice about things to do, etc. there is appreciated. I know I have a bad attitude about Florida in general and I need to change it... I'm working on that.