Coral Springs Medical Center or Northwest Med. Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I live in Broward County Florida and am pregnant for the first time. I am due in January. Although I wanted to deliver at West Boca Medical Center my doctor only delivers at Coral Springs Medical Center or Northwest Medical Center. I have visited both hospitals and am undecided about where to deliver. Has anyone had any experiences at either hospital? Any experiences would be helpful!

Thank you,

Lori
#2 of 4 Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM

My son was born at CSMC. I had the same choices too, so I toured both. From what I could tell, NW is pretty intervention heavy. They actually made fun of people choosing natural birth during my tour. : It has more of a "baby factory" atmosphere IMO. CSMC is a little better. There is no nursery, they are more supportive of breastfeeding (although still not great about it) and they do waterbirths, so they are a little more natural birth friendly. IIRC, they also have more private rooms, and they have a better NICU, if you should happen to need it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Mom2J,

Thanks for the input! I actually spoke to my ob/gyn today. Although she prefers CSMC because of the neonatologist being on staff 24/7, she told me to preregister at both hospitals. She said if she has a bunch of patients at one hospital she will tell me to go to that hospital so all her patients are together in the same hospital or if one of the hospitals is overwhelmed with patients she'll tell me to go to the other hospital. So she basically was saying that I may not have a choice! This is fine with me since I have not been able to make a decision! I'll preregister at both just to be safe.

Thank you,
Lori
#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM

Hi Lori,

I delivered at CSMC. I really wanted a home birth, but after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes...I felt safest going the hospital route.

My midwife and my doula attended the birth (HUGE kudos to my doula, Lorie McCoy of Amazing Births in Boca) and they both were very in tune with my wants/needs for delivery. But the hospital did as well as a hospital could do, I imagine.

I could drink if I wanted, and I hear that's a no-no in most hospitals locally. I had no IV's, no constant monitoring (a 15 minute strip at admission, and a quick check every half hour, I believe), no baby-warmer, no eyedrops, no bath, no nursery...nothing! My only gripes consist of these: they wouldn't let me keep my placenta, and my room (I only stayed one night) was so small I could barely get out of bed (squished between baby bassinet that I didn't use and other equipment/furniture).

I had to be firm with them regarding no pacifiers, but we posted a little sign about our DD being breastfed ONLY, and she received no paci and no bottle.

I think with CSMC, you can have the birth you want, as long as your doctor/midwife/doula is familiar and accepting of your desires.

Best wishes for an enjoyable birthing! I loved mine and can't wait to do it again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page