Moving to Gainesville - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi local mamas. I am moving in about a week to Gainesville with my 2 1/2 year old DD. I was hoping to get a feel for the community, what it has to offer, must-sees, and must-dos, playgroups, etc. My daughter has been in morning garden programs/Waldorf inspired daycare, and I would love to find the same in Gainesville. Thanks.
#2 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello there! I just wanted to say that I will be moving to Gainesville within the next 6 months to a year, also!! Where are you coming from? I'm coming from about 1.5 hours south of Gainesville, and am hoping to find a much more alternative/natural-minded atmosphere than what we have here.

Good luck with the move! I'll be stalking this thread for info for my own move, too!! :

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#3 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 PM

I am in Gainesville. I have a 2.5 year old also. Not sure whata morning garden program is!

There are a lot of AP and alternative minded families here. You have to kind of know where to look though, I guess. There is a really big Ap group (80-90 members), but someone in it called DCF on a couple of families because she didn't agree with natural and alternative approaches to medicine, so I steer cleer of that group mostly now since the jerk is still lurking in there - never fessed up to being the caller. There are still lots of nice folks in it though. Theer are other smaller groups, not formally named.

A friend of mine runs a place called "Gainesville Creative Kids" which is for kids age 3-8, where they do movement, art, music classes - cheap and very crunchy in their focus, if that makes sense.

There are health food stores, organic produce and local produce a-plenty, home birth mid wives co-op.

What else can i tell you?
#4 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM

There is a waldorf based preschool called Morning Meadow in GNV. I know some families who send their children there and love it. I don't know what age they takes children - maybe 2?

Great farmer's markets, especially on Wednesdays - you can find a lot of babywearing, alternative minded families there.

Feel free to pm when you get into town.
#5 of 12 Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM

Not sure if you'd be interested, OP, but there is also a beautiful Hare Krishna temple in Alachua. It's amazing. I've only been there once, but I loved it. The people are incredible and they have regular vegetarian feasts (once a month, I think) where all are invited to attend (you don't have to be a devotee!).

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#6 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Where are you moving from? And Feminine Earth where are you? I grew up about 1.5 hrs south of Gainesville. I live in Ocala now, but my heart is still in Gainesville and with that AP group Swirly mentioned. They are a great group of mommas, and very supportive, so PM when you get to town and we will try and point you towards whatever you are looking for.
#7 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM

I just realized - there's a Gainesville, FL (where Swirly, Tori and I live) and a Gainesville, GA. Which one are you talking about?????
#8 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM

haha i'm with Ruth, which Gainesville are you talking about? we are just south of Gainesville, GA.
#9 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Hi mamas,
My family and I are thinking of relocating to the Gainesville/Alachua area within the next 6 months - 1 year, but are concerned about leaving our amazing holistic community in southern, NJ, where we live. Where can I find these amazing AP families in the Gainesville, FL area?

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

#10 of 12 Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Hey mamas,

Those of you moving to Gainesville (esp from NJ where I am from originally) Florida should really love it here. It's got great natural food stores, great farmers markets, lots of wonderful AP minded families, and it is just a really comfortable and happy place to live. If I had to pick a place on the east coast, it would be here. I love living here!

Please PM me or Tori or Ruth when you come and we can point you in some good directions to find other like minded moms
#11 of 12 Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. It's been a while since I had access to a computer. I have been in Gainesville (Florida!) for about 3 months now. I have found the Temple of the Universe, Wednesday Farmers Markets, the Butterfly exhibit, and many other wonderful things here. Unfortunately, my situation is changing here and will need to find a full-time job and daycare/preschool for my almost 3 year old dd. If any of you have any advice on the childcare front, I would be appreciative. Thanks again.
#12 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Hi folks. So it's been 12 years since I've been saying I want to move to the Alachua/G'ville area and it's finally almost here!!! We're going down tomorrow (Tues 4/7) for 10 days to find a house to rent and then plan to move down by late May! I'm overjoyed. Yay!!!

See y'all soon.

If anyone would like to meet up I can be reached on my mobile: 856.524.2494

Peace,
Ananga-manjari
aka Lovesprout :

Crunchy, treehugger.gifgranola, hippie.gifvegetarian, bi-lingual SAHM to two homeskooled boys.familybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page