Mothering Forum banner

Looking for midwife in NW FL C'view, FWB, P'Cola

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  SheBear 
#1 ·
Hello All! I am new here.
I am really wanting to have a homebirth. This is my first after 4 years of TTC
:. I am just terrified about giving birth in the local hospital... I had surgery there a few years ago and it was awful!! I swear they were trying to kill me.
So I would like to find out about a home birth of a nice birthing center local to Crestview FL...
Thanks a bunch. I look forward to hanging out here as this pg progresses.
Marita

See less See more
#3 ·
Vicki is great! She was our mw with our DD1--our first homebirth. Unfortunately (unless I am mistaken!) she is going to be moving out of the area soon. I understand she will be moving to Gainesville to teach....I wish her well, I know she will be an outstanding teacher, but we sure will miss her around here!
:

If you are in a position to consider paying out of pocket, I can give you the contact information for the midwife we've used for our two youngest. She is wonderful, there aren't enough adjectives to describe how much I love and respect her. But her legal status in FL is "delicate" shall we say.....so she cannot accept insurance. Her fee is reasonable, and she will do everything she can to work with her clients' needs wrt payment, though. I'd highly encourage you to at least contact her and ask...no harm in that!

Otherwise, you might want to attend a LLL meeting (we have a local chapter, meets every 1st and 3rd Friday in Niceville) and ask the ladies there for advice. Are you new to the area, or just new to the forum? Congratulations! I'm assuming (from your username) that you are due in May?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
Vicki is great! She was our mw with our DD1--our first homebirth. Unfortunately (unless I am mistaken!) she is going to be moving out of the area soon. I understand she will be moving to Gainesville to teach....I wish her well, I know she will be an outstanding teacher, but we sure will miss her around here!
:

If you are in a position to consider paying out of pocket, I can give you the contact information for the midwife we've used for our two youngest. She is wonderful, there aren't enough adjectives to describe how much I love and respect her. But her legal status in FL is "delicate" shall we say.....so she cannot accept insurance. Her fee is reasonable, and she will do everything she can to work with her clients' needs wrt payment, though. I'd highly encourage you to at least contact her and ask...no harm in that!

Otherwise, you might want to attend a LLL meeting (we have a local chapter, meets every 1st and 3rd Friday in Niceville) and ask the ladies there for advice. Are you new to the area, or just new to the forum? Congratulations! I'm assuming (from your username) that you are due in May?
LOL at the "delicate"...
I would love to contact her. Atleast to make a connection with someone tht doesnt bug out when I mention the words "home birth" ...
I am just new to the board. I have been a life long resident of Okaloosa Co.
Are there any birth centers near by? I would love to get to a LLL meeting. I am always hesitant to go to such meetings as I usually dont fit the profile that everyone else has. I wear jeans and cowboy boots, I am a professional horse trainer. I drive a really big truck... See what I mean...
No mini van for me, when I have a four door dually!
Who can I contact about the LLL meeting concerning time and location?
I looked i n the yellow pages and found a listing for a Maria Milton in Paxton/Laurel Hill, know her?
Thanks,
Marita

#7 ·
: But not me, a different Sarah!
Hey, are you in the Baker area? Seems like we crossed paths on another thread around here....

As far as Maria Milton....I contacted her for my second homebirth. She doesn't deliver homebirths, just at her "birth center" which is, from what I've been told, simply the office attached to her home, I guess. Her mother, Gladys, was an awesome midwife, and a legend around these parts! A lady in our church was well-acquainted with her, and I only wish she'd been around when my children were born....she passed away jsut before our first child (a miscarriage) was conceived, IIRC.

However, from my (limited) experience and from what I've heard from those who have more direct experience with her, I don't feel like I could recommend her. Unfortunate, because she was left with an amazing legacy!

But don't take my word, because what do I know? Give her a call too, see what you think! The best possible place to be in is knowing ALL the options available to you, and then choosing what fits best, right?

I'll PM you with my midwife's contact info!

#11 ·
Hey, are you in the Baker area? Seems like we crossed paths on another thread around here....

Thanks for the info. I do plan on being involved, maybe later on in the pregnancy.. I will email her and start getting some info...
Yes I am in the Baker Area, actually north of Baker.. I am about an hours drive from Niceville. I live way ut in the country, wouldnt trade it for anything!!

#9 ·
whoops, I forgot to PM, I'm so sorry!
I'll PM you both right now!

No, I'm not positive when she's leaving, but I was thinking it would be early spring, maybe....I got the impression she'd be here until the first of the year, I suppose until after all her current clients have had their babies, but I don't know if she's accepting any new clients. I guess the easiest thing is to just call her, tell her you heard a rumour, and ask her outright what the deal is!

Now, off to my PM box!

#10 ·
Quote:

Sorry, yes, Sarah from LLL I should say.

I'm in Panama City, but I used to go the LLL meetings in Niceville until I had my baby. She hates to ride the car, so now it's too far for me. But I miss those meetings terribly. This area is so backwards it was always so refreshing to get together with like-minded people.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tryingforbaby View Post
Can you PM me witht hat info as well. I am in Pcola. Do you know when Vicki is leaving? I had her send me an info pack but haven't had any apoitments yet sence we aren't preg. yet.
Last I heard from her, she was thinking it would be around May.

#15 ·
Quote:

:

Hi,
I know this post is really old but I was wondering if you still had this midwives info as I am in search of one. I tried to pm you but it wouldn't let me.
Thank you!

#16 ·
Hi, Justam09! Sorry, I haven't been an active member here for a couple years. Possibly my inbox is full and won't allow messages? I did get the email notification, though! And amazingly, I remembered my password to log in! ;-)

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help you more, but we moved away from FL 5 years ago and live in IN now. I don't know if Vicki (mentioned above) is still in Pensacola area or not...the other midwife I mentioned is no longer in the area. However, I've stayed in touch with some of the natural birth community in the area, and there are some more options!

Are you on Facebook? I could put you in touch with a few friends that could help. :)

If you want to send me a message on Facebook, I'm Sarah Semadeni Green. And if not, I'll try to clean out my inbox and send you a message through here the next time I get to a computer.
wink1.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.