Renting in Durham - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Triangle Mamas!

I am going to heed the advice of many here and not buy right away (we were considering buying in Morrisville). The plan now is to try to rent a house somewhere close to RTP. Does anyone have any ideas or advice about where we should rent? We would like to rent for 6-12 months beginning in Jan, most likely in Durham because of its proximity to RTP and Chapel Hill (which is where I would like to live - at least as of now).

I cannot believe we are moving in a little over a month. We close on our house Dec 8th and will stay with relatives until we drive to NC in Jan. Jan will be a great time to leave the midwest - its already cold here. :

Aren't there a few of us who will be moving to the Triangle early 2009?
#2 of 15 Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM

The area near Southpoint (the big mall near RTP) is where we rented for a year and is a good central location. The older neighborhood there is called Parkwood and there are lots of new neighborhoods, too. You are practically at RTP so very little commute.

There are lots of other places to live in Durham, but I am not as familiar with those in any detail. Sometimes when you get closer to Duke (or in the case of CH, UNC) the cost goes up so if you don't need to be at the uni then why pay for it, at least that was my thinking.

Good luck with the move!
#3 of 15 Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicnicBear View Post
Good luck with the move!
Thanks, I am getting more excited and perhaps, more terrified. And thanks for the info. That is an area we are looking at I just didn't know what the neighborhood was called.

And congrats on the new baby!
#4 of 15 Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Michelle, I live in the wonderful Watts-Hillandale neighborhood in central Durham...and the house across the street for me is for rent. PM me if you'd like details.
#5 of 15 Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 AM

we rented in durham in the southpoint area for 4 years and really liked the location - had a 2 bedroom condo in the audubon lake complex (ticon properties). in addition to proximity to the mall, it's easy to get to rtp and chapel hill and you're right on the freeway if you want to get out of town. we live in los angeles now, but look back on our NC days fondly!

mildly crunchy mama to E (2006) and D (2011)
#6 of 15 Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM

i agree that the southpoint mall area is close to RTP and a nice place to live.

you could look on roads such as:

scott king rd.
sedwick
grandale
euclid
revere
herndon

or zip code 27713

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#7 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice.

We are still in the process of finding a house that is right for us. Does anyone have ideas about where to look? Are there on-line resources for rentals in durham? Or any specific printed resources we can have DH's new boss mail to us?

Craigslist has so many listings that really don't seem to have a specific house...you need to buy a subscription to a foreclosure site and we are not looking for a near foreclosure home. We have found a few leads on Realtor.com but we have a dog (lab mix) and a cat and some people are leery about renting to us. Both are well behaved!

Thanks again. We just got a few inches of snow...now that its getting colder I am getting more excited about moving south!
#8 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 03:40 PM

I found my rental on craigslist. But I was looking in "season" i.e. summer.

We rented a smaller, lower-end house in this development.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reb/930704962.html

And it was something like $1500/month. There are also the older neighborhoods there where it would be cheaper b/c the houses are generally smaller.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions but hopefully the info helps.
#9 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Not sure there's something for rent right now, but check out:
http://emilymassey.com/rent-house-triangle.php

I also see a lot of signs out from this realty company:
http://www.applerealty.org/

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#10 of 15 Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

I was just going to add that I rented from Apple Realty (years ago now) and they were a great rental company. They have a lot of nice houses in older neighborhoods.
#11 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but this is a cute little townhome community. http://www.realtor.com/realestate/1102997570/
It's surrounded by trees, so you feel like you're out in the country, but it's still close to everything!

: 3/10
#12 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

I live in Parkwood, and we like it a lot...you may also want to try looking in Woodcroft, which is nearby.

Here is one listing I came across doing a google search

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#13 of 15 Old 12-06-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the advice. It has been really helpful. We decided DH would take a trip down again in a couple weeks to secure a place (I wanted him to drive down there in early Jan and just get a place then but he didn't think that would give a good impression to his new boss, which I can understand). Now that we know of more renting agencies we feel like we have quite a few options.

We load our truck tomorrow but won't see our stuff for about a month...hard to believe this is finally all happening. I feel all kinds of emotions...excited, exhausted, scared, sad...the list goes on.
#14 of 15 Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Michelle View Post
Thanks again for all the advice. It has been really helpful. We decided DH would take a trip down again in a couple weeks to secure a place (I wanted him to drive down there in early Jan and just get a place then but he didn't think that would give a good impression to his new boss, which I can understand). Now that we know of more renting agencies we feel like we have quite a few options.

We load our truck tomorrow but won't see our stuff for about a month...hard to believe this is finally all happening. I feel all kinds of emotions...excited, exhausted, scared, sad...the list goes on.
what did you all find?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#15 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

We found a house on craigslist in Durham, off of Hwy 54 and near 40 - so it is closer to Chapel Hill than some of the places we were considering. It is cute, with all wood floors, 3 bedrooms. It is 1350 square feet, which is considerably bigger than our 925 square feet house.

Hard to believe that we are really moving in a WEEK after all the hoopla over the last 6+ months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page