AP, delayed/non-vax friendly pediatrician in Raleigh? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm moving to Raleigh in 4 wks with a newborn and need a pediatrician. I would truly appreciate recommendations! I know there is a Yahoo group with this info, but I can't remember what it is.
#2 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 PM

Would you be open to a family doc? We recently switched to a family doctor who posts on here and love her. Dr. Young with Cary Healthcare Associates.

http://www.caryhealthcareassociates.com/

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 24 Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 PM

A lot of people see Ramsdell Peds in Apex, but I don't think she is taking new patients.

A lot of us go to Dr. Jeffries at North Raleigh Family Medicine. If you call they are not taking new baby patients, but here is a tip: have your DH go for a physical and then I think they will take your baby so that the whole family can come there

I have also heard good things about Growing Child Peds at Brier Creek as far as pro-bf and delayed vax.

I have heard mixed reviews of White Oak Peds and I def DO NOT recommend Carolina Kids near Rex (not pro-bf and vigilant about vax).
#4 of 24 Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I know there is a Yahoo group with this info, but I can't remember what it is.
This might be it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chapel...tiveParenting/

coolshine.gif

#5 of 24 Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Would you be open to a family doc? We recently switched to a family doctor who posts on here and love her. Dr. Young with Cary Healthcare Associates.
Thanks for the kind words! : (I love my MDC patients!)

OP, where do you live in Raleigh - that may determine which office you choose. Dr. Jeffries is in North Raleigh, Kim Ramsdell and I are in Apex and Cary respectively, which is the opposite side of town. Geography may be a deciding factor for you.

I can't speak for the others, but I am taking new patients, especially cute little newborn baby patients.

To answer your original question, I do support delayed/no vax (as do both Dr. Jeffries and Dr. Ramsdell) and I suggest you take a look at Dr. Sears Vaccine Book prior to your first well baby visit, if you haven't already read it. It's a great source of information about the specific vaccines and their risks and benefits.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
#6 of 24 Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
This wasn't it, but this answers another question I had! I will be looking for playgroups soon so that I can meet some new people. Do I need a recommendation from you in order to join this group?

As far as where we live, we'll be moving from out of state in a few weeks. I've never even been to Raleigh, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. We're renting for 6 months, and it looks like that house is in North Raleigh. (near Creedmoor and Strickland?) That is temporary though, we're just renting while we wait for our house to sell and then we'll buy a home somewhere in the area.

Thanks so much for the advice!
#7 of 24 Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormom View Post
Thanks for the kind words! : (I love my MDC patients!)

OP, where do you live in Raleigh - that may determine which office you choose. Dr. Jeffries is in North Raleigh, Kim Ramsdell and I are in Apex and Cary respectively, which is the opposite side of town. Geography may be a deciding factor for you.

I can't speak for the others, but I am taking new patients, especially cute little newborn baby patients.

To answer your original question, I do support delayed/no vax (as do both Dr. Jeffries and Dr. Ramsdell) and I suggest you take a look at Dr. Sears Vaccine Book prior to your first well baby visit, if you haven't already read it. It's a great source of information about the specific vaccines and their risks and benefits.
You're welcome! I was so happy with how DS' well-child visit went last month that I have scheduled/switched DD to your care too. We will see you in February.

I tried to move me too (I have found myself sick for the first time in years and of course don't have a primary care doc), but with the holidays I am trying to wait patiently for an appointment.

OP, there are several great threads about different neighborhoods in and around Raleigh. Welcome!

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#8 of 24 Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I will be looking for playgroups soon so that I can meet some new people.
If you are AP-oriented (just guessing ) you might like our local API chapter, which has regular meetings and playgroups. There are several MDC mamas in the group. www.triangleapi.org

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
#9 of 24 Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! I'll absolutely check that out.
#10 of 24 Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM

I am SO happy to see this thread! I give birth this summer and don't know where to start. We're near downtown Raleigh, so I really will go anywhere in Wake Co. to get great care of this kind.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#11 of 24 Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM

I've not had the pleasure of visiting Dr. Young, but have enjoyed an online acquaintance with her. *grin*

We switched from Duke Peds to Dr. Ramsdell at the beginning of summer and couldn't be more pleased! I can actually have discussions and conversations about my aromatherapy use with my kiddos!

Unfortunately, when I called just before Christmas, the automated system (press 1 for appt's, etc) said that Dr. Ramsdell was no longer taking new patients at this time, outside of siblings of established pts.

I'm on both Triangle API and the CH-DAP yahoolist. Excellent groups, and Jo at Triangle API is phenomenal--and has some very creative ideas for pulling together the community, including extended community.

Welcome to the area! I first arrived in 2000. It's a neat place, and our favorite overall.
#12 of 24 Old 01-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks for this thread. I posted the same one w/o knowing this one was here. We will be arriving in Raleigh March 1

My post asked also about finding a pedi that was actually anti-circumcision and knows about the harm of forced retraction of the foreskin. Do any of you know if the pedis recommended on this thread fit this criteria? It is very important to me to support doctors who are anti-circ.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#13 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM

I am so glad I found these forums and this post specifically. I just had a not-so-great experience with our pediatrician regarding our newborn, home birthed baby. I'm looking for a new, home birth friendly pediatrician and both Dr. Young and Dr. Ramsdell seem to fit the bill. Are there other peds I should consider here in the Raleigh area?
#14 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Where are you (roughly) within Raleigh?

#15 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM

I'm in North Raleigh near Durant and Capital.

Edit: I think I'm going with Dr. Young and the practice at Cary Healthcare Associates. They can provide care for my entire family, they take our insurance, and they are accepting new patients. Dr. Young, be on the lookout for my "cute little newborn baby patient" soon!
#16 of 24 Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
We're renting for 6 months, and it looks like that house is in North Raleigh. (near Creedmoor and Strickland?) That is temporary though, we're just renting while we wait for our house to sell and then we'll buy a home somewhere in the area.

Thanks so much for the advice!
You'll be close to me. It's also really close to Dr. Jeffries. I myself have gone there and was planning to take my kids, but I had a bad experience. Thanks for posing this question though. I think I just might drive out to Cary to see Dr. Young.
#17 of 24 Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 AM

I love this thread! My dh has a job interview (last one, they are flying him in so it's serious) in Durham and I had no idea what AP stuff was there. If he gets the job, I'll be back with more qs. : THANKS

Oh, we have a 19 mo old ds and may TTC in a year or less
#18 of 24 Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post

http://www.caryhealthcareassociates.com/
Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a new ped for DS and the upcoming baby since moving here who is located closer to us, I'll be giving them a call on Monday

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#19 of 24 Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

I also wanted to recommend Dr. Melanie Mintzer at Generations Family Health Practice. I like her a lot and she was recommended on another AP Forum for her non/delayed vax and BF friendliness.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#20 of 24 Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan's Mom View Post
My post asked also about finding a pedi that was actually anti-circumcision and knows about the harm of forced retraction of the foreskin. Do any of you know if the pedis recommended on this thread fit this criteria? It is very important to me to support doctors who are anti-circ.
I missed your post, sorry. I am foreskin-friendly (my own sons are intact) and I think Dr. Ramsdell is as well. No retraction going on here! HTH.

#21 of 24 Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 AM

Yes it does! I will be seeing you soon I hope. I drive 80 miles round-trip now to go to see our great pedi and will again to have progressive care for my kids.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#22 of 24 Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormom View Post
I missed your post, sorry. I am foreskin-friendly (my own sons are intact) and I think Dr. Ramsdell is as well. No retraction going on here! HTH.
I just made an appointment for Matilda in March
Look forward to meeting you

#23 of 24 Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 PM

We just saw Dr. Cynthia Young today for the first time and I couldn't believe how amazing she is. DH and I joked that we had to move all the way to NC just to find our perfect doctor! Thought I would add my 2 cents and my vote for Dr Young...

Mama to J and E .
#24 of 24 Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmama View Post
We just saw Dr. Cynthia Young today for the first time and I couldn't believe how amazing she is. DH and I joked that we had to move all the way to NC just to find our perfect doctor! Thought I would add my 2 cents and my vote for Dr Young...
I have an appt. for Keller in a few weeks and I can't wait! I never thought I'd be this excited about meeting a doctor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page