#1 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Where are you in NC? There are other midwife options here, but I think I have heard from several MDC moms who went to the farm. I sure wouldn't want to go 8 hrs away, though!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM

I've never heard of the farm (of course I've never given birth either). What exactly is it, and where in TN is it located?:

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#4 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM

They have a website. Do a search for The Farm Midwifery Center. They have cabins that people can stay in if they are coming from a long ways away. I believe the cabins are very reasonably-priced.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 PM

There are mamas on MDC who birthed at the Farm. You might want to ask on one of the birthing forums. My friend intentionally birthed her breech baby there vaginally.

What concerns do you have about birthing at home? There are homebirth midwives in Western NC. You might check http://www.nchomebirth.com/ to interview someone local to you.

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 PM

There is also the one free standing birth center in Chapel Hill. http://ncbirthcenter.com/

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#7 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 AM

I have been looking in to The Farm for my delivery in June. Check out my blog. I've written about all the info I have received from them. Hope it helps you!

http://www.harvestofdailylife.com
#8 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

!
#9 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM

I am receiving prenatal care through an OBGYN in addition to seeing my midwife out at The Farm. That way nobody can say I didn't have adequate care, then I am firing the OBGYN at the end of the pregnancy. She has already openly said she will induce me if I go 1 week beyond my due date.

Oh, here certain midwives are illegal too. We all need to rally and write our representatives to get the law changed don't just wait for it to miraculously happen.

Have you considered writing Obama about your health care views?
#10 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2beme23 View Post
I had a lay midwife for my last pregnancy. CPS said she wasn't adequate prenatal care and she was awesome . They gave us a hard time .They did go away and not find anything. It didn't keep them from driving us crazy though. I don't want to go through that again. I'd love a homebirth but, I can't find anyone NC considers legal. I just wish they'd change the law already. I'm willing to go to NC, SC or TN to deliver if I have to . I just don't want a hospital birth . If anyone knows anyone please PM me . I am near Hickory & statesville NC. Thanks!
There is a legal CNM who practices homebirth midwifery up near Hickory/Asheville region. Check the NC Homebirth site. I don't recall her name.

Pat

I have a blog.
#11 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Have you called Dr. Dorn in Winston Salem? He supports homebirth - it seems he might be willing to give you backup/prenatal care, and an official blessing in support of homebirth, then you could go ahead and deliver with your "lay" midwife and have documentation from Dr. Dorn, an OBGYN that will prove you received "adequate" pre-natal care.

Good Luck.
#12 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 AM

the farm is a beautiful place. read ina may's guide to childbirth and you'll be hooked. i think the idea to settle in there before your due date would be the best bet. i love it! :

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#13 of 21 Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM

I loved the farm! My birth story is in my sig. We drove 5 hours (in labor) to get there, because he was breech and I couldn't find any homebirth midwives at the time. Settling in before labor is a good idea, we just didn't get the chance, since we had to switch at the last minute, and then he came a little early.

We paid $4000 for a breech birth, I believe the price for a regular birth is $3500? They do have very nice little houses for out-of-towners to stay in, those are $200/week. I don't know if they offer discounts for low-income people, since with all the turmoil we were just happy they would take us at all. They did submit the charges to insurance for us, but nine months later insurance only paid $600. :P That was Blue Cross Blue Shield, though, they're bad about births.

We did love the farm, and if we needed to we'd be happy to go there again - but I'm hoping for a homebirth in my own home next time. It's just easier not to have to travel. But the Farm is a wonderful alternative if you can't make it work at home.
#14 of 21 Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM

: Congratulations, hapersmion. What a beautiful story!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 AM

I saw Dr Dorn for a U/S...i had a homebirth in NC in Sept 08...it was awesome. Dr Dorn can be pushy when it comes to testing....but standing your ground is fine with him. He doesnt mind when you say NO! Like i said i only saw him once for a u/s.
What triggered cps with your last birth? If you dont mind me asking.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#16 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM

I have read lots of information about the Farm. . . including birth stories....and it seems like lots of women traveled there to have their babies. Perhaps you could stay there for a couple months and wait for your baby because it is not going to be fun to labor in the car.... give them a call!
#17 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM

You don't need much to trigger a CPS call in NC . . . Just refusing eye ointment at a regular hopital birth is enough, or a positive cannabis screen at birth. Beyond that, if you need medical help at ALL and you used a CPM, they will basically call on you in 99.9% of the situations. You could be young, you could be a hippie, the list goes on. They don't consider CPM to be adequate prenatal care and so the call is for child neglect.
#18 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
: Congratulations, hapersmion. What a beautiful story!!

Pat
Thanks!
#19 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA2008 View Post
Have you called Dr. Dorn in Winston Salem? He supports homebirth - it seems he might be willing to give you backup/prenatal care, and an official blessing in support of homebirth, then you could go ahead and deliver with your "lay" midwife and have documentation from Dr. Dorn, an OBGYN that will prove you received "adequate" pre-natal care.

Good Luck.
I've also heard he is great if you have had previous complications in pregnancy -- he wouldn't rule me out of a homebirth with gestational diabetes. I chose to go somewhere else for my prenatal care because it was much closer, but my homebirth was hush hush. they supported homebirth too, but not in high risk patients like myself.
#20 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
You don't need much to trigger a CPS call in NC . . . Just refusing eye ointment at a regular hopital birth is enough, or a positive cannabis screen at birth. Beyond that, if you need medical help at ALL and you used a CPM, they will basically call on you in 99.9% of the situations. You could be young, you could be a hippie, the list goes on. They don't consider CPM to be adequate prenatal care and so the call is for child neglect.

we were threatened when we said no to the hep b shot. so I thought they wouldn't let me take him home and did it anyways, and I STILL regret it.
#21 of 21 Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Where in NC did this happen? My dh was a NC CPS case worker for several years and he never got a report from about a babe not receiving erythromycin. In fact, all 5 of our kiddos were born at home with a CPM...and aren't vaxed. In NC there is nothing CPS can do while you're pregnant. And keep in mind a mama who has her babe with a CPM at home is doing nothing illegal (or neglectful)...its the practice of non-nurse midwifery in NC that's not legal.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page