Do you know these midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Around Knoxville, at least within a few hours:

Debi Church in Athens - I know several people on here love her, anyone else have a story?

Lisa Coomer in Maynardville - her website looks promising, anyone used her?

Those are the front runners because of distance, I'm off to email them. If they don't work out, has anyone heard of:

Lee Ann Stabler in Cleveland
Angie Neis in Chattanooga
Carolyn Drake in Chattanooga
Kathleen Davies in Marshall, NC

I'd welcome any advice or personal experiences. I'm looking for a really hands-off midwife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM

my mw here in the Triangle knows Kathie Davies and highly recommends her.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I have to move to the secondary list.

I've contacted the first two, and they both seem pretty good. There are pros and cons... I think what I really want in a midwife is for them to be Ina May, and go sit in a corner and not be needed. But I guess I can't ask for that. Must find out more and start deciding...

:
#4 of 10 Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Lisa Coomer is in my holistic moms group. She is awesome!! I had my baby at Lisa Ross, but if I have another I will be interviewing Lisa in person ....she has delivered several babies in our group and she is highly recommended. For my last birth, I wasn't ready to make the "at home" step yet, but I am now if we have any more (still undecided if we are done or not).

At Lisa Ross, I had Julie (I can't remember her last name), but she was filling in for another midwife who was on maternity leave. She was great!! She did just what you said ....stayed off in the corner, but still in the room. She actually didn't do much at all unless I specifically asked. It was very nice. I'm so glad she stayed in the room b/c I needed that ....she pretty much only did what I asked her to do, and that's what made my birth so amazing!!

The only part I didn't like was the car ride (hate laboring in the car), so that's what makes me consider homebirth if we have anymore.

HTH!
#5 of 10 Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's great to hear from people who've actually met the midwives.

I was planning to go to Lisa Ross with my last pregnancy and liked them, but they had to drop my care when my son turned out breech. :P So I won't be going back to them, I want a home birth in my own house this time.
#6 of 10 Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I've heard lots of great things about Debi Church too, although I haven't met her myself.
I saw Carolyn Drake for my last pregnancy. I had to find a new provider at 39 weeks, when my son was persistent breech, so she probably wouldn't be the one for you. PM me if you want more details.
and Good Luck!

Heather, DW to Clyf: & ::: Mama to Bridget: 3/22/05 CP: & Braden:7/12/08 Retired EPer-27mos:
#7 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full

There is one particular midwife on your list that I would avoid at all costs. It's important enough to share, I think. PM me when your inbox is clear if you want more information.

On a positive note, I've heard good things about Debi Church, though nothing specific comes to mind and I don't know her personally.

Best,

CMM
#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM

I interviewed Kathie Davies. She was nice, but I didn't get a good vibe about her at all, so I found a new provider. I have absolutely nothing to base this on; I just didn't get a good feeling. She was very kind though.

I used DeEtte Nicholson in Elizabethton, TN (at the suggestion of Angie Neis, who was too booked to even consider taking me--i was already about 30 weeks at the time). I LOVED DeEtte. She didn't exactly sit in the corner, but I think she might be more inclined to do so if you requested that.

student momma to two great girls

#9 of 10 Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, thanks, mizmerricat, that's exactly what I want to avoid. And oof, switching at 39 weeks, that's even worse than my situation last time! Of course, my son was born just before he hit the 39 week mark, heh. Was that the VBAC in your sig? Go you!

Crescentmoonmama, thanks, I've just sent you a PM.

Mrsfrenchy, thank you, I hadn't heard of DeEtte. I'll keep her in mind if I go to the list of slightly further-away midwives.

I've gotten in touch with both Debi and Lisa Coomer, and they both seem to have good points, so now I just have to try to decide! Debi has sent me her book, so after I read that I should have a pretty good feel for her style. It's hard to decide!

And by the end of the week I should be able to take a pregnancy test and see if I'm getting ahead of myself or not... :
#10 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Yep, he's my VBAC baby! It was quite an adventure, but so worth it.

Heather, DW to Clyf: & ::: Mama to Bridget: 3/22/05 CP: & Braden:7/12/08 Retired EPer-27mos:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page