Asheville, NC - Where did you give birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, DH and I are starting to seriously plan for our next child. So, I'm curious where did other Asheville Mamas give birth? Who were your birth attendants? Were you happy with how things went?

I had DD at Mission... I'm trying to convince DH that we'd be better off with a HB next time. I'm not going to say who attended us (yet), because I don't want color anyone else's opinion.

So, please tell me where you gave birth and what you liked/didn't like about it!

Oh, I should also say that DH and I live down the mountain in McDowell County, but did go to Asheville in an effort to find an NCB-friendly provider for DD's birth.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#2 of 15 Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 PM

I planned a HB with New Dawn Midwifery but ended up delivering at Mission due to a nonemergent transfer. I loved them and will probably consider using them again. My only deal with them is that they seam to have a high turnover rate with the mw's. A new one joined the group during my last trimester, and since my birth a few more have trickled in and out. I'd really prefer more of a one on one (or two). There were a few other things that bothered me about them... but not enough to not go back. More things that I just had to learn as a FTM giving birth I guess.
Hope that answered your question.
Elizabeth
#3 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM

I planned a HB with New Dawn also & ended up with a c-section when DS flipped breech at term. They are loving and kind women (well, some of them I knew aren't there anymore) but they are obligated to abide by medical protocols. Some friends of mine agree with me that they give an impression of being more supportive of natural birth than they are in actual practice. So I would recommend just knowing your facts and getting a doula or planning to advocate for yourself. One friend had a beautiful all natural birth at Mission with them, another was induced with Pit for blood pressure concerns but she argued with the MW to refuse the epidural and another friend was induced early (pre-term) for gest. diabetes even though she had it under control and well managed--induction did not go well & she ended up with a section. I was given no time to process the news of breech position (from an ultrasound on my EDD)--it was the OB's call, but there was no reason they couldn't have advocated to wait until I was actually in labor (I was not dialated or effaced at all...).

I felt very positive about my care from them in general, but if I was going to have another I'd probably go with Dr. Hayes at Harvest Moon (OB who only does homebirths) or a lay midwife. New Dawn would not do a VBAC HB.

Good luck!
#4 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 AM

During my last pregnancy I traveled to Asheville and interviewed both New Dawn and Lisa Goldstein. I consulted with both over my m/c and wound up using Lisa G. However it was a long drive and neither practice REALLY offers homebirths anymore (New Dawn won't gaurantee it for anyone after the first of this year, if you go into labor when too many others are laboring you have to go to Mission). I felt like I knew as much about natural health as either practice and sometimes even more about conventional medicine.

I may stick closer to home next time, but would also consider David Hayes. Can he handle lab work and such? Does anyone know? Or do you have to get a back-up OB for those things? And does he stay with you if you transfer? I have heard he will travel too.
#5 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
I may stick closer to home next time, but would also consider David Hayes. Can he handle lab work and such? Does anyone know? Or do you have to get a back-up OB for those things? And does he stay with you if you transfer? I have heard he will travel too.
Yes, he handles lab work. I had a wonderful homebirth with him 7 mos ago.

My only other birth was at Mission (planned) with the MAHEC midwives but that was 8 years ago so the experience is prob. too outdated to help.
#6 of 15 Old 02-20-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to look into all your suggestions. I'd really like to try for a HB next time. I wish Asheville had a birth center though!

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#7 of 15 Old 04-26-2009, 04:49 PM

I had my last with New Dawn through Parkridge and had a fantastic birth. This one with be with New Dawn through Mission and I'll let you know.

I have heard tons of good things about Lisa.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#8 of 15 Old 04-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Now this was back in 2002, but I used the wonderful midwives at New Dawn, and was able to have a water birth at Park Ridge.

The midwife that delivered my daughter was fantastic. I don't think she is practicing anymore, though.

Since we have moved to Mississippi, I have endured two OB/Gyn deliveries in very rural hospitals. So, ladies, be very thankful for the wonderful options in your area.

Blessings,
Rebecca
#9 of 15 Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM

I highly recommend DeEtte Nicholson, of Tri-State Homebirth Services. She has incredibly strong clinical skills, and I was comforted knowing that if we transferred to the hospital it would be because we HAD to. No regrets! She was wonderful.
#10 of 15 Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchomebirthinmama View Post
I highly recommend DeEtte Nicholson, of Tri-State Homebirth Services. She has incredibly strong clinical skills, and I was comforted knowing that if we transferred to the hospital it would be because we HAD to. No regrets! She was wonderful.
A friend of mine had a very positive experience & absolutely LOVED her. Another mutual friend is preg and likes her a bunch so far.

Youngwife, you are quite right--we're lucky to have the choices we do here!
#11 of 15 Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Hi, I went with New Dawn aiming for a natural birth. One of their midwives who wasn't on the natural birth bandwagon, has since left (I believe) and I was very unhappy with her suggestions when I was having some contractions at around 30 weeks. Another midwife that was at my birth just left, she was good but voiced doubts and regrets she had about my birth which turned into a cesarean. krystyn33, I think you were my ppdoula you were great, thanks again. xoxo
#12 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM

I have to add to the DeEtte love. She delivered our son last summer (home waterbirth) and was amazing.
#13 of 15 Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM

This article might help you with hubby..http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7998417.stm

I'm moving to Asheville in a few weeks! So exciting. I also have a video about the benefits of homebirth that may help convince dh!

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s21yJ1rf8w

Blessings,
Jessica Levesque
#14 of 15 Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 AM

DeEtte is a highly skilled MW, with a ton of experience. She is a former neonatal nurse. She delivered my 2 boys, and the loving care she gave to me I will never forget! You could not be in better hands.
#15 of 15 Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Hello~

I'm new to this site, live in the asheville area, and am planning a homebirth in January. Can someone give me more info on how to contact DeEtte Nicholson?

thank you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page