Homebirth Midwives in NC Could Soon Face Felony Charges for Attending Births! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is from the North Carolina Friends of Midwives:

"This past week we have been studying 2 new pieces of legislation (not ours) that, if enacted, will turn our dear midwives into felons. This is the work of The AMA Scope of Practice Partnership. As it turns out, in 2007, our terrific North Carolina Medical Society established via statute that maternity care is the practice of medicine. The nurse midwives are exempted by virtue of the Midwifery Practice Act. Now, SB164 does nothing more than change the penalty for practicing medicine without a license from a Class 1 misdemeanor to a Class 1 felony. This same language exists in another bill. My sense is that our adversaries are going to try and make this change where ever they can and they only need to be successful once and our midwives will be felons.

We had a call with The Big Push leadership today and we have our plan. We will energetically oppose this. In the next few days, there will be a call to action in which we will need everyone (and I mean everyone) to engage. Basically, we will send strong messages that the NCMS is taking a hostile action to disrupt due process. We have worked really hard to remain in process including conducting a legislative study committee and in desperation they are becoming predatory.

We cannot let this happen. Explicit instructions will be coming in the next few days. This note is to alert you to stand ready...they are escalating and so will we.

Russ"

Please, if you live in NC and have had a homebirth, no matter what type of midwife assisted you or if you live in NC and know of someone who has had a homebirth, PLEASE join the North Carolina Friends of Midwives today. At the beginning of the year NCFOM revamped it's membership list and required everyone to rejoin through their website, so if you joined before January 2009, you'll need to do it again. Go to http://www.ncfom.org/join.html

To birthing freedom!

Rebecca Walton
#2 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 PM

Scary!!!!
#3 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

It's VERY scary, but we are fighting back!
#4 of 12 Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirth1 View Post
It's VERY scary, but we are fighting back!
That's right! The best way to change a law is to break the law!

0****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****403rdtri.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM

I got a message a couple days ago that that has already been removed from teh bill.
#6 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I think you are refering to this:

"Greetings Friends,

I just spoke with Sen. Ellie Kinnaird about the provision in SB1043 (Naturopathic Doctors Licensing) that would change the unlicensed practice of medicine into a felony. She let me know that the Medical Society put that in there and the sponsors didn't want it. They have revised the bill to eliminate that, but they have not updated the web-site.

Sen. Ellie is a great friend to us. We don't need to express our concerns to her about this anymore (I guess she has received a number of calls)....

Russ"

That is not the same thing as SB164 which WILL make practicing midwifery without a license a Class 1 felony

Rebecca
#7 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just in today:

"Dear Friends,

It is now time to make our voices heard. Senate Bill 164 if enacted will turn our CPMs into felons and potentially put our community in crisis. Senate Bill 164 turns the unauthorized practice of medicine into a felony and our CPMs have been in violation of the Medical Practice Act since 2007 when maternity care and parturition was established as the practice of medicine. This is hostile to women & midwives and disruptive to the legislative process that we have worked hard to conform to for 2 years now. We need to be sure this bill dies.

This coming Monday I will meet with Sen. Purcell to brief him on HB333 and convey our objections to SB164.

We need all of you to call and e-mail Sen. Forrester and Sen. Purcell during the next 2 days to express your concerns. Please DO NOT direct your frustration at the senators, they may very well not appreciate what this means. Our frustration is with the leadership of the North Carolina Medical Society. Our argument is that they have been obstructionists and have been successful in making North Carolina stand out among its neighbors as denying mothers access to regulated Certified Professional Midwives which is counter to safety. Here are some elements to include in your messages:

1) IMPORTANT – thank them both for their attention to NC Friends of Midwives and the needs of women in NC.
2) North Carolina is in the process of enacting legislation to license C PMs. NCFOM has remained in process and has followed the process outlined by the legislature. SB164 is a hostile and disruptive move and the NC Medical Society is out-of-process.
3) How can North Carolina make felons the same midwives who are licensed and regulated in our neighbor states of VA, TN and SC?
4) Do not make our midwives felons!
5) The North Carolina Medical Society is NOT a good faith partner in addressing the problems of North Carolina's mothers who birth at home.
6) The 2008 House Select Committee on Licensing Midwives produced bil l language instructing the stakeholders, including NC OBGYN and NC ACOG societies, to work with the Midwifery Joint Committee to establish Rules/Regulations/Standards for licensing CPMs in NC. This is a desperate attempt to obstruct the legislator's call for collaboration.

Please use your own words and it is not necessary to make all of these points. It is important to call (their Office number) and e-mail.

Sen. Forrester
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...ate&nUserID=28

Sen. Purcell
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...ate&nUserID=51

Let's make our voices heard!

Russ Fawcett
NCFOM Legislative Co-Chair"
#8 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 PM

I sent my emails.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 PM

CALL, CALL, CALL vs emails! The phone numbers are directly posted on those links. Just call and leave a message. Thanks for posting this, I was just coming on to do the same
#10 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
I got a message a couple days ago that that has already been removed from teh bill.
Yeah, I think you're thinking of the naturopaths bill... unfortunately.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#11 of 12 Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I just called the offices of both Sens Purcell and Forrester. I wasn't able to speak with either one, but I did leave messages stating my concern about this ridiculous bill. :

The woman answering the phone in Purcell's office said that he's a retired ped. so he "certainly understands your concerns on this issue."

Not knowing where he stands, I said politely that I was concerned that some people might think they understand the concerns, but may be working with misinformation, depending on where it's coming from (like the State Medical Board!).

UGH UGH UGH

PLEASE call these offices and let them know where you stand. One of the women who took my calls did say that they had heard from lots of women today, so I was happy to hear that. PLEASE let them hear from YOU! (and your friends, neighbors, relatives, etc.......)

Jennifer
#12 of 12 Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM

I received this email this morning. It is unfortunate that the NC Medical Society is advocating this.

Pat

Dear Friends,

It is now time to make our voices heard. Senate Bill 164 if enacted will turn our CPMs into felons and potentially put our community in crisis. Senate Bill 164 turns the unauthorized practice of medicine into a felony and our CPMs have been in violation of the Medical Practice Act since 2007 when maternity care and parturition was established as the practice of medicine. This is hostile to women & midwives and disruptive to the legislative process that we have worked hard to conform to for 2 years now. We need to be sure this bill dies.

This coming Monday I will meet with Sen. Purcell to brief him on HB333 and convey our objections to SB164.

We need all of you to call and e-mail Sen. Forrester and Sen. Purcell during the next 2 days to express your concerns. Please DO NOT direct your frustration at the senators, they may very well not appreciate what this means. Our frustration is with the leadership of the North Carolina Medical Society. Our argument is that they have been obstructionists and have been successful in making North Carolina stand out among its neighbors as denying mothers access to regulated Certified Professional Midwives which is counter to safety. Here are some elements to include in your messages:

1) IMPORTANT – thank them both for their attention to NC Friends of Midwives and the needs of women in NC.
2) North Carolina is in the process of enacting legislation to license CPMs. NCFOM has remained in process and has followed the process outlined by the legislature. SB164 is a hostile and disruptive move and the NC Medical Society is out-of-process.
3) How can North Carolina make felons the same midwives who are licensed and regulated in our neighbor states of VA, TN and SC?
4) Do not make our midwives felons!
5) The North Carolina Medical Society is NOT a good faith partner in addressing the problems of North Carolina’s mothers who birth at home.
6) The 2008 House Select Committee on Licensing Midwives produced bill language instructing the stakeholders, including NCOBGYN and NCACOG societies, to work with the Midwifery Joint Committee to establish Rules/Regulations/ Standards for licensing CPMs in NC. This is a desperate attempt to obstruct the legislator’s call for collaboration.

Please use your own words and it is not necessary to make all of these points. It is important to call (their Office number) and e-mail.

Sen. Forrester
http://www.ncga. state.nc. us/gascripts/ members/viewMemb er.pl?sChamber= Senate&nUserID=28

Sen. Purcell
http://www.ncga. state.nc. us/gascripts/ members/viewMemb er.pl?sChamber= Senate&nUserID=51

Let’s make our voices heard!

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page