pediatric dentist in Durham, NC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-16-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I am writing to see if anyone has recommendations for a good, gentle pediatrc dentist in or near Durham, NC. My daughter needs two cavities filled and I am trying to find out what my options are in having this procedure done.
I would appreciate any recommendations people have based on their children's experiences. Thank you.
#2 of 3 Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Awwww...so sorry.

My kids haven't had fillings, but we really like Duke Pediatric Dentistry with Drs Keels and Neal. My dd1 had a bit of a phobia about drs so when I was choosing a dentist for my kids I wanted to everything I could to make it easier on her. Both the dentists are women (which was important for dd1 at the time) and their office has tons of bells and whistles. We were looking for a lot of distractions, so that was very good. They have video games in the waiting room (my girls have never played, but they have looked at them), big fish tank, very cheery bright office, friendly staff, treasure box and stickers, etc, after the visit. The examing areas are set up with multiple chairs so that my girls can both have an exam and cleaning simultaneously and I can be sitting right between them holding whoever's hand needs holding. It's worked well for us.

All that said, they're not alternative or holistic in anyway. They follow mainstream procedures with X-rays, fluoride varnish, etc. I'm okay with that, though. I really just wanted to ease my anxious girl into the chair and it's worked. Now she almost looks forward to going. We where there on Tuesday as a matter of fact and both my girls did really well.

I know other folks in the area who have had work done on their kids' teeth who like them, too, but ymmv. So far we've been able to avoid that. I know that they do have privileges at Duke Hospital if a very young child needs to have general anesthesia to get fillings or crowns.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 3 Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the information, Beanma. I took my daughter to Dr. John Christensen near Southpoint yesterday and really liked that practice. I appreciate your suggestion. I think I will have Dr. John fill the cavities, as we really liked his gentle manner and he was great with our daughter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page