Anyone use Nancy Harman for a homebirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I won't dissuade you from exploring the homebirth route (Nancy has supported many VBACs), but I also wanted to contribute another hospital-based provider option other than the one you have found, in case you'd like another option.  UNC Family Practice (not OB/GYN) is one that VBAC-hopeful mamas travel far to get to, because UNC has the most successful VBAC rate of any hospital in the entire state (both in actual numbers and in percentages of total births).  The Family Practice doctors are not surgeons (unlike OBs), so they do absolutely everything they can to help women have a vaginal delivery, so as not to have to pass their patient up to an OB (which they will totally do when necessary, but they don't jump the gun to send moms to the O.R.)

I encourage you to attend an ICAN meeting held on the 3rd Sat. evening of each month at The Family Nest in Morrisville.  There you will meet many women, both VBAC hopefuls and VBAC successes, to learn from and compare notes with.  UNC Family Practice comes up again and again in conversation there as very VBAC supportive.  I would think you can politely decline any medical test you want to--it's your body, no one can force you to have an ultrasound.  Perhaps a private practice, like Triangle OB/GYN, could decline to see you, but UNC Family Practice couldn't, because they receive public money (a state-supported hospital), so they can't turn anyone away.  When you call UNC Family Practice, Barbara Hotelling (Nurse Practicioner) is who you want to speak to on the phone to ask all your questions.  She is fabulous, and teaches VBAC classes for parents.  (Her next one is scheduled for Jan. 2013).  Ami Goldstien is a midwife working at UNC Family Practice, so you might want to schedule your first appointment with her, since you are considering working with midwives and/or doctors.

Hope that helps!

#32 of 53 Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburrito View Post

I won't dissuade you from exploring the homebirth route (Nancy has supported many VBACs), but I also wanted to contribute another hospital-based provider option other than the one you have found, in case you'd like another option.  UNC Family Practice (not OB/GYN) is one that VBAC-hopeful mamas travel far to get to, because UNC has the most successful VBAC rate of any hospital in the entire state (both in actual numbers and in percentages of total births).  The Family Practice doctors are not surgeons (unlike OBs), so they do absolutely everything they can to help women have a vaginal delivery, so as not to have to pass their patient up to an OB (which they will totally do when necessary, but they don't jump the gun to send moms to the O.R.)

I encourage you to attend an ICAN meeting held on the 3rd Sat. evening of each month at The Family Nest in Morrisville.  There you will meet many women, both VBAC hopefuls and VBAC successes, to learn from and compare notes with.  UNC Family Practice comes up again and again in conversation there as very VBAC supportive.  I would think you can politely decline any medical test you want to--it's your body, no one can force you to have an ultrasound.  Perhaps a private practice, like Triangle OB/GYN, could decline to see you, but UNC Family Practice couldn't, because they receive public money (a state-supported hospital), so they can't turn anyone away.  When you call UNC Family Practice, Barbara Hotelling (Nurse Practicioner) is who you want to speak to on the phone to ask all your questions.  She is fabulous, and teaches VBAC classes for parents.  (Her next one is scheduled for Jan. 2013).  Ami Goldstien is a midwife working at UNC Family Practice, so you might want to schedule your first appointment with her, since you are considering working with midwives and/or doctors.

Hope that helps!

Wow thank you SO much for all of this information! You have definitely given me a place to start :)

#33 of 53 Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 PM

You are welcome! 

Nancy is great, too.  I just wanted to offer additional alternatives.  Having options is good, as sometimes, when pursuing a VBAC opportunity, it feels like there aren't any!

#34 of 53 Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM

@gemacita, Mama de Dos, jewelie, chrissy, velveeta, and pittsburrito: Would you be able to PM me and tell me more about your experience with Nancy--what you liked, what you didn't, what makes her different, etc.? I would so appreciate the guidance. OR if you have recommendations for other home birth options, we'd be thrilled to hear those too.

My husband and I are new to NC (we live in Chapel Hill) and are currently trying to plan a pregnancy in the next couple of months (without health insurance, sadly).

#35 of 53 Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM

hi country girl! im in the name boat, (not mom yet) but optimisticly trying! and am very interested in homebirth. lots of great books and movies out there and reserach to support safety and health of it. id be happy to share if you are interested. 

#36 of 53 Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Hi y'all, I know this thread is old, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what is going on with home births in NC these days? I know Carrboro Midwifery closed recently (sad)  and legislation is making it harder to for midwives to do home births. Does anyone know if Nancy is still practicing?

Thanks for any updates!

#37 of 53 Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Sadiedumpling - I just spoke with her this morning.  She said their practice is very busy because so many others are choosing not to do HB.  I don't know if you need the info anymore, but I thought I'd let you know :)

#38 of 53 Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

I'm using Nancy now, so she's still practicing. (I'm due next month.) As far as I know, she's the only home birth CNM practicing in the Triangle area. She does indeed seem busy. There are others out in Fayetteville and Wilmington I think, though.

#39 of 53 Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM

I also wanted to add that I'm seeing Ami Goldstein (mentioned before by Pittsburrito), midwife at UNC Family Practice, for my backup care (something Nancy recommends all her clients do). Basically, you go see Ami 3-4 times during your pregnancy for prenatal appointments just to make sure everything is going smoothly. You can do all your blood work and tests with her too. I also want to recommend Rebeca Moretto at UNC Family Practice--she's a doula, RN, and just the sweetest person. She the pregnancy coordinator there, so she sees everyone for their first visit too. AND she teaches the Lamaze class there--by far the least expensive childbirth class option around.

#40 of 53 Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenCaulfield View Post

I'm using Nancy now, so she's still practicing. (I'm due next month.) As far as I know, she's the only home birth CNM practicing in the Triangle area. She does indeed seem busy. There are others out in Fayetteville and Wilmington I think, though.

There are currently only 4 legal midwives (CNMs) attending homebirths in NC. Nancy serving the Triangle area is one, also another serving the Fayetteville area, a third serving coastal North Carolina including the Wilmington and Jacksonville communities, and as of a few months ago - one more CNM serving the Asheville area.

In North Carolina, though CPMs are currently not legal, several CPMs still practice underground.

I could get you that CNM's contact info if needed.
#41 of 53 Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Mommy_in_chaos - thank you! (This is Sadiedumpling - I decided to change my username b/c i realized I didn't want one with my name in it.) 

So - I just tried calling the number that I have for Nancy (919 837 5805) but the call wouldn't go through. Does anyone know if that's the right number?

Thanks again,

- Sadie

#42 of 53 Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM

#43 of 53 Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks! That's different than what I had.

#44 of 53 Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM

Did anyone have a super hard time trying to get a hold of her? I've been trying for 3 weeks now. Thanks

#45 of 53 Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Yes, she is very hard to get a hold of, both initially and throughout the pregnancy and postpartum. It was the thing I liked least about her. She's also not a very good listener and never remembers what you've already told her several times--even if I've watched her write it in her file. Part of this I'm sure is that she's very busy, but I think part of it is that she just doesn't listen to what you're saying much of the time. Not a good quality in a midwife. However, since I knew of now other homebirth CNMs in the area, I didn't have much of a choice. In hindsight, I can't say I'd highly recommend her. Though my homebirth itself went well, I had a very difficult time postpartum and she was not very helpful. In fact, she gave me bad advice several times, which led to worsening my condition.

#46 of 53 Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Are you still here in NC? I looked at her, Donna of Monarch Midwifery and I think I am also going to check out the birth center in Raleigh

#47 of 53 Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Also interested in updates regarding homebirthing in the Raleigh area.

#48 of 53 Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM

We're TTC and will be moving to NC next month.  I've been looking into home birth options in the Raleigh area and am very frustrated by the options.  All I could find was Nancy Harman and Monarch Midwifery, which are both far away and seem to have mixed reviews.  I also worry that if I went with one of them, their supervising OB might drop them, which would then mean they couldn't operate as a CNM in NC.  The NC legislature has certainly succeeded in making home births *very* difficult :-( 

Now I'm thinking the NC Birthing Center might be the best option, since at least it's not a hospital.  I also have seen mixed reviews about them, but at least it would be reliable.  I'd love to hear of anyone's experience there or if anyone else has any other ideas.  Thanks!

#49 of 53 Old 05-02-2014, 05:26 PM

nala082008, out of curiosity, where are you moving from? I'm in Columbus OH and may be moving to Raleigh during my pregnancy so I've been trying to find out more. Someone brought up the possibility of underground CPMs in North Carolina, but I wouldn't know where to find them myself. If I can't find one through my sources here, then I would probably be trying Monarch Midwifery or the birth center, but my options for either will be more and more limited as my pregnancy progresses and they fill up :/  After two homebirths here I really don't want to have to go to the hospital, but I guess baby will be come out any which way :)

#50 of 53 Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Liea, we're moving to Raleigh at the beginning of June, we're in the process of buying a house now :-)  When will you know if you're moving?  Do you know what area of Raleigh you'd want to be in?

I've heard about underground CPMs, but the idea of that kind of scares me, because they might be more hesitant to advise you to go to the hospital, since they could be arrested if caught.  Plus, I know my husband wouldn't be comfortable with that.  So I'm thinking the NC Birthing Center is probably the best option, but we'll see. 

#51 of 53 Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 AM

nala, we should be receiving a job offer next week but I have no idea if we'll try to move before the new baby or after. In fact... my brain has been keeping me awake since 3am thinking about it all! Our friends live between the beltways near Umstead State Park and there may be an opportunity to rent from our friend's parents in that area for awhile. We figured on renting at first anyway, because ideally we want to move out of town a bit and have some property. I'm a horse girl at heart- ready to have some chickens and a little pony again :)  Please let me know if you find any good resources for mom's groups/natural living/attachment parenting down there. I have been searching Facebook and forums and coming up empty. Here in Columbus I have a huge network and it's hard to believe that Raleigh doesn't have this as well. I plan to be involved in MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) and BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) once I'm down and settled so at least there will be opportunity there to meet people.

#52 of 53 Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 AM

"Birth: the surprising history of how we are born" helped my DP come around GL! smile.gif

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
#53 of 53 Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Yes, a little more than 6 years ago. She was great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page