Moving to Paris, TN - need midwife, doula, and pedi help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the title kind of says it all... I'm about 5 weeks along and we're moving to the Paris, TN area next month. I need a midwife and a pediatrician, and since we're planning a homebirth, I would love a doula. I have tried searching on Google and Bing, and I have had ZERO luck finding anyone!

There is one midwife listed in my BCBST coverage book - Amy Papszyski, CNM. Does anyone have any experience with her? Again, I can't find anything about her online.

There are four pediatricians (John Jackson, Jeffrey Mann, Christy Minor, and Debra Selby), six family practitioners (Ken Berry, Stephanie Dunagan, Philip Nanney, Michael Nelson, Kirk Nienaber, Douglas Summers), and two general practitioners (Terry Harrison, and Charles Walker) listed. (I've always read that pedis are more militant about vaxing, and we're non-vaxers.)

As for doulas, I'd really like a doula in training so that the care would be cheaper. Once again, I've searched online and found nothing.

I would really appreciate any information you have! Even if you live outside of Paris, I'd appreciate any info on crunchy doctors in the area - these are just the doctors listed for my county. I can just as easily go outside of the county for dr. appts.
#2 of 27 Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 AM

If you're looking for a home birth midwife there is a directory at www.tnmidwives.org/directory.html. I'm not aware of any home birth midwife in Tennessee that is an in-network provider for any insurance.
#3 of 27 Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM

I've seen Amy, and I'm not too crazy about her. However, Anita Baker-Ross is in that same practice and I (and many of my friends) love her. She has a big family and went through school after having her kids, so she seems much more flexible, friendly, and has more "life" experience. Amy's very bleach-blonde and tanning bed orange. I am so high risk now that I am forgoing any hopes of anything even close to "crunchy" birthing, except for (hopefully) staying far, far away from meds and cesarean.

Have you tried expanding your search into the Jackson area? You might do a little better with that. My stepdaughter sees a Dr. Blake in Jackson who they seem to really like, after going through almost every ped around Paris (She was delivered in Paris, which I do not recommend at all; if you end up having to go to a hospital for delivery, head for McKenzie. Paris ER is better, tho, if you happen to need one.) I have heard good things about Debra Selby, also. I think Dr. Berry is a complete ass, but ymmv. I have seen Terry Harrison while in the hospital and he seems like he might be okay with non-vaxing, but I have yet to meet anyone around here who doesn't vax.

I've been thinking about beginning the doula training while I'm working through all of the nurse-midwife stuff and I've tried to find info about doulas in West TN and so far have come up with nothing. Your best bet might be in the Ft. Campbell area, I know for a while I had heard something about more doulas focusing on military bases because so many moms deliver while their partners are overseas and they have usually moved away from their families. (Sorry if all of this sounds a little disjointed, I have morning sickness.)
QuinnBaby likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Rose Creek Village was a recommendation, and while they're probably too far to come and deliver (Selmer, TN), they might be able to help you out.

http://rosecreekvillage.com/birth/

I've also noticed several mamas from around the Clarksville, TN, area. Better luck there?

Welcome to Western TN!
DoulaHeidi likes this.
#5 of 27 Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbutton View Post
I've seen Amy, and I'm not too crazy about her. However, Anita Baker-Ross is in that same practice and I (and many of my friends) love her. She has a big family and went through school after having her kids, so she seems much more flexible, friendly, and has more "life" experience. Amy's very bleach-blonde and tanning bed orange.
Anita is covered by my insurance too. I'll have to check her out.

Quote:
Have you tried expanding your search into the Jackson area?
I would expand my search to Memphis if I could (I know they have homebirth midwives), but my son's birth lasted under three hours, total. Anything over an hour away is probably too far for the second birth.

Also, I've looked at all the area hospitals, and one thing that stood out were the really tiny beds. The one at Murray's hospital looked like half a twin size! That makes me really sad, because my favorite memory of my son's birth was DH and I laying in bed with him, keeping him warm. It was wonderful family time, and I'd hate to sacrifice that.

Quote:
I have yet to meet anyone around here who doesn't vax.
Really?!? Wow. Well, I guess you could say DS's are delayed, since he might end up getting one or two vaxes. For now, he hasn't been vaxed.

Quote:
I've been thinking about beginning the doula training while I'm working through all of the nurse-midwife stuff and I've tried to find info about doulas in West TN and so far have come up with nothing.
Go for it! You'd be the only one.

And I hope your morning sickness gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinky View Post
Rose Creek Village was a recommendation, and while they're probably too far to come and deliver (Selmer, TN), they might be able to help you out.

I've also noticed several mamas from around the Clarksville, TN, area. Better luck there?

Welcome to Western TN!
I could at least call and see if they know of anyone closer! (And thank you for the welcome!)

I wonder if there are any lay midwives in the area - older women who have helped deliver, but aren't necessarily certified. I know there are some where we currently live - we're right beside a Mennonite community - but I wonder if there are any near Paris? Just thinking out loud.
#6 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Sandra Tinnin is in Centerville, which is going to be closest to you at around 90 minutes. There are some lay midwives in the Hopkinsville area but that's no closer and hard to know what you're getting.

www.tnmidwives.org/directory.html
#7 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 02:43 PM

What a small world! Today, we had lunch with a friend who had her last in Paris and used Anita Baker from McKenzie. Had nothing but great things to say about her!
#8 of 27 Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

I am a doula in training through childbirth international. I live in Friendship, TN. I am trying to get my certified births in so let me know if you are interested. I am also pregnant right now. So, as long as our due dates aren't close, we are good to go. I am due on April Fools Day (of all days! lol). Let me know if you are interested. Oh! And I don't know too much about them, but there is a midwife clinic in Jackson. I sent them an email earlier asking some questions. I will let you know anything I find out.
#9 of 27 Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyIngalls View Post
I am a doula in training through childbirth international. I live in Friendship, TN. I am trying to get my certified births in so let me know if you are interested. I am also pregnant right now. So, as long as our due dates aren't close, we are good to go. I am due on April Fools Day (of all days! lol). Let me know if you are interested. Oh! And I don't know too much about them, but there is a midwife clinic in Jackson. I sent them an email earlier asking some questions. I will let you know anything I find out.
Hi, there! I live in Jackson, TN, and I am looking for a doula!!! I am due September 23 and I am 32 weeks exactly. I have only recently researched doulas (hence the late notice,) and I am dying to have one for a hospital VBAC at JMCGH. Please let me know if you would be willing to help. Thanks!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#10 of 27 Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsbates View Post
Well, the title kind of says it all... I'm about 5 weeks along and we're moving to the Paris, TN area next month. I need a midwife and a pediatrician, and since we're planning a homebirth, I would love a doula. I have tried searching on Google and Bing, and I have had ZERO luck finding anyone!

There is one midwife listed in my BCBST coverage book - Amy Papszyski, CNM. Does anyone have any experience with her? Again, I can't find anything about her online.

There are four pediatricians (John Jackson, Jeffrey Mann, Christy Minor, and Debra Selby), six family practitioners (Ken Berry, Stephanie Dunagan, Philip Nanney, Michael Nelson, Kirk Nienaber, Douglas Summers), and two general practitioners (Terry Harrison, and Charles Walker) listed. (I've always read that pedis are more militant about vaxing, and we're non-vaxers.)

As for doulas, I'd really like a doula in training so that the care would be cheaper. Once again, I've searched online and found nothing.

I would really appreciate any information you have! Even if you live outside of Paris, I'd appreciate any info on crunchy doctors in the area - these are just the doctors listed for my county. I can just as easily go outside of the county for dr. appts.
As I said in my previous post, I am in Jackson. I am looking for the same as you, a good midwife and a doula! I know nothing about any of the midwives here in Jackson, and I am trying to find one that my insurance takes just like you. I am seeing an OB clinic right now, but I am exploring the midwife option and hope this all falls into place soon! I am 32 weeks already. Good luck to you!!!

Peds: Another vote for Dr. Blake at the Children's Clinic, if you are willing to travel to Jackson. He is awesome! He is the ped for both of my children and will be for the baby I'm having in September. Hope that helps!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

#11 of 27 Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 PM

I was looking for an independent midwife in the Jackson area myself. But no luck. I searched for hours on the internet. I am only 16 weeks, so I still have some time to find the right place...

Since I am from Germany midwives are very common, I have never heard of doctors delivering babies until I moved here.
I do not have insurance. So after I found out, that it would easily cost about 10k $ to have a baby without insurance I looked into home births. There are only midwives in Memphis that would come to your home if that is what you would like to do. But there are extra charges, if you live more than 1 h away.
Their website http://memphismidwife.com
Everyone I talked to there is super friendly and very caring and they give you a lot of info...

I always thought a doula is really only necessary when you will not have a midwife to deliver the baby. But of course that is my own opinion...

Anyway, good luck to everyone.
#12 of 27 Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgermany View Post
I was looking for an independent midwife in the Jackson area myself. But no luck. I searched for hours on the internet. I am only 16 weeks, so I still have some time to find the right place...

Since I am from Germany midwives are very common, I have never heard of doctors delivering babies until I moved here.
I do not have insurance. So after I found out, that it would easily cost about 10k $ to have a baby without insurance I looked into home births. There are only midwives in Memphis that would come to your home if that is what you would like to do. But there are extra charges, if you live more than 1 h away.
Their website http://memphismidwife.com
Everyone I talked to there is super friendly and very caring and they give you a lot of info...

I always thought a doula is really only necessary when you will not have a midwife to deliver the baby. But of course that is my own opinion...

Anyway, good luck to everyone.
Have you tried Rose Creek Village in Selmer? They have midwives that do home births only and a doula.

With my first child, I had a doctor deliver via C/S. I am hoping for a successful VBAC this time, and I understand having a doula can really increase your chances of being successful. For a non-VBAC'er, I'm sure having a midwife would be enough.

#13 of 27 Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

There are other homebirth midwives in Memphis. Amy Stewart-Banbury with Trillium Woman Care is a good friend of mine. She works with Andrea Christianson. Lynda Hoskins is also in west Tennessee. www.tnmidwives.org/directory.html
#14 of 27 Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgermany View Post
That may be my exact situation...

I joke with the teacher whose room is beside mine - she was very close to being a general practitioner when she switched to teaching - I keep telling her that I'm going to send a student to get her if I go into labor, and my aide can watch our classes .

It will probably end up unassisted at my MIL's house, now that I'm really looking at my options. I am a terribly fast laborer, and I'm not traveling farther than absolutely necessary (which my hubby appreciates - poor guy, I nearly froze him to death last labor with the air full blast and the windows down in December. And February will be colder!). I'm hoping some old family practitioner would make a house call .
#15 of 27 Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 PM

I delivered my youngest with amy and saw both amy and anita throught the pregnancy. I personally loved them both. Amy's daughter was actually in the delivery room when I had alex . As for ped I LOVED Dr. Paul Evans he is in Huntingdon (about 30 min from paris). His wife is an ob there at paris and they live halfway between. Everyone at his office was great.especially his fnp Nancy. Good Luck in your search.
#16 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Hi MommyIngalls,

I know this post is a bit old, and by now you probably have a new sweet baby at home. Congratulations! Was she born on April Fools after all?

You may not be still looking for births to attend as you have a newborn yourself, but I'm really searching hard for a doula for our baby girl who is due June 6th. I'm coming home to Henderson, TN from Port au Prince Haiti next week to deliver our second child. My first child came by an unfortunate "unneccesarian." Since it's a VBAC I am working with a very good midwife and delivering at Jackson General, but I'd like to stay at home as long as possible during the labor to avoid any interventions and for comfort. I need an advocate and a coach.

Apparently doulas are very rare in West TN, so I would be very interested in talking with you.

#17 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Wow...just noticed this post was 2009. So your newborn is actually 2 years old, and you are probably a certified doula and not longer on this site.  None of these people may still be around, but if you are, I'm searching far and wide for a doule for Henderson or Jackson, TN, and having no luck at all. Our second child is due June 6th and we are currently out of the country, but coming back next week to the West, TN area for delivery. This doesn't give me much time to track down a doula.

#18 of 27 Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 AM

i live in paris

and im 11 weeks along =)

iv looked and looked for a midwife here and i cant find one

i wanted a home water birth and neither option is available here

the nearest midwife is a few countys over and you have to go to her clinic

she doesnt do home births

#19 of 27 Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM

I am a 52 yr. old young lady who has been looking at Paris to live for a year or so. I want so bad to move down by the lake. My 32 yr old son has been holding me back, my 30 daughter thinks it's great. I will be down around Paris in a week or two. I would like very much to speak to you about your Doula. My name is Joyce, and you can reach me at my email. LipStick1959@hotmail.com and I can give you further information. Thank You! Good Luck!  Joyce

#20 of 27 Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

I realize these posts are OLD now, including mine.  But there is a FABULOUS midwife in the Jackson area, who is now doing home births.  She delivered my baby in Sept '09, the baby I was referring to in my posts above.  He was delivered in the hospital with her and a doula from Rose Creek.  It was a very healing, empowering VBAC birth.

Anyway, the midwife's name is Kate Todd.  She began been doing homebirths a year or so ago, after many years of experience with hospital births.   She is very warm, caring and natural.  If I were to home birth, I wouldn't want anyone else!

#21 of 27 Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM

I am replying to all the older posts. My daughter is coming home to the Paris, TN area to have her 1st child. Does Kate come to areas outside of Jackson? I am very curious about using a doulla or a midwife. I have a lot of questions. Is there anyone would could contact?
#22 of 27 Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM

I know Kate has patients in Memphis.  In fact I believe most of her clients are outside Jackson.  I would be worth it to call her!  Her info is here.  http://www.midwifesearch.com/Location/1081/Infant%20Massage/Precious%20Life%20Midwifery_Jackson_Tennessee_38362

I hope that helps. She really is AMAZING!

#23 of 27 Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Hi all

Iam new to this forum I moved to clarksville tn 2 years ago,had my first baby last year by emergency c-section. Just found out that I'm pregnant again and this time I want to try for vbac hopefully. So, does anyone know any midwives in Clarksville tn area or any vbac friendly hospital near by .any help would be appreciated .
Thanks
#24 of 27 Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM

I just finished a Labor Doula training is Jackson Tennessee.  There are several who come to the area.  If you message me I will give you thier information if you are still looking also I highly recommend this Midwifery Group they do a lot of home births in Jackson. http://www.chosenbirths.com/home.htm

Hope this helps you can email me at arwhatley166@gmail.com

#25 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Location: Serving Jackson/Memphis, TN & Dyersburg, McKenzie, TN

I'm a New Doula/Childbirth & Parenting Educator, I live in Jackson-1 hr away. I do births in Paris! Here is my background: I'm a 38 yr old mom of 3- ages 5, 8, 18. I  have a B.A. in Psychology-Child/Adolescent Psych & Development w/ Early Childhood Education and Marriage & Family Counseling.  Worked for 8+ yrs as Developmental Behavior & Curriculum Specialist as well as the Staff Trainer/Preschool Teacher/Supervisor & Parenting Educator in Preschool Education.

I've been a SAHM for the last several years raising my children and for the last 6 months I've been intensely studying and training for Pregnancy & Childbirth Education & Labor Doula Services.  (I have a recommendation from my CAPPA trainer-A.R. Whatley.)   

My website is www.DoulaGinnysBirthSvcs.com  and my email is DoulaGinnyMills@gmail.com  and my number is  731-499-7268.

Since I am New and starting out, I am offering my services at a very low cost right now.  I would love to hear from you.  Check out my website and see what you think!  :)

Ginny Mills

~Ginny Mills  (Mom to 3-ages  dd-5(DIVA), ds-8(ADHD), & dd-18(Asperger's)

Doula/Childbirth & Parenting Educator & B.A. in Psych w/ Early Childhood Ed/Marriage & Family Counseling

#26 of 27 Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM

I know this is an old post, but Amy P. and Anita Ross are amazing mid-wives!! Love them to pieces!

#27 of 27 Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Location: Middle Tennessee (between Nashville and Clarksville/Ft. Campbell)

I'm a doula and childbirth educator in the Clarksville area.  I'll be happy to help you explore your options for care providers in the area.  :)

Heidi Duncan
doulaheidi.webs.com

Blessings,

Heidi Duncan

Birth Doula

Licensed Roots Childbirth Instructor
Prenatal Henna Artist

Essential Oils Consultant

Serving Nashville and Clarksville

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page