Birthing Centers in SW North Carolina - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved to Vale (near Hickory) about 2 months ago from Georgia. DH and I just found out we are expecting our 4th child. We had our other 3 at a birthing center. I can't seem to find any birthing centers around us. I have only found one (Catawba Birthing Center), I am wondering if anyone knows of anymore within a 60 mile radius. We are only an hour from Asheville and was sure they would have one there but again can't find any info online. (???)

Also, has anyone used Catawba Birthing Center?
Thanks in advance.

Melissa, Mommy to A (12), H (10), M (6), My identical twin boys B&L who were homebirthed (4) and our newest addition (L) (5 weeks) - - homebirth.jpg novaxnocirc.gif homeschool.gif goorganic.jpg

#2 of 15 Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM

http://carolinabirth.org/

New birthing center in Ft. Mill, SC that utilizes midwifes and are strong supporters of VBAC's. I don't think that it is too terribly far from Hickory.

Congratulations!

Mama to 3 wonderful children
intactlact.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.gifbfolderchild.gif

#3 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info...I have had a really hard time finding a place. All I 've found are midwifes who deliver at hospitals (I was wanting to avoid a hospital) or homebirths. I appreciate the info!!!!!!

Melissa, Mommy to A (12), H (10), M (6), My identical twin boys B&L who were homebirthed (4) and our newest addition (L) (5 weeks) - - homebirth.jpg novaxnocirc.gif homeschool.gif goorganic.jpg

#4 of 15 Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM

No birth center in Asheville.

Trish Beckman is a midwife (and wonderful woman) who works in Hickory--not sure exactly where. She is co-owner of the Women's Wellness Center in Asheville:
http://www.ashevillewomenswellness.com/default.html

Congratulations!
#5 of 15 Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM

there IS a birth center in Asheville, just north of downtown on Charlotte street. It's called New Dawn Midwifery http://www.newdawnmidwifery.com/home.htm they do home births and attend at Mission Hospital as well.

many, many women love it. i had a great annual exam there, but am hoping to use TM at home myself.

i've heard that due to NC law, they are more protocol heavy and do more transfers than some people think they should. i think i've seen some opinions on New Dawn in this tribe's threads.

hope you find a great one!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#6 of 15 Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Actually New Dawn is not a birth center, it is a clinic where they do prenatal care, well-woman care, and childbirth classes. Births are at home or at Mission Hospital. Unfortunatley there is only one birth center in the entire state-the one in Chapel Hill. After I finish my midwifery studies, I plan to tackle the enormous task of starting a birth center in Asheville.
#7 of 15 Old 07-11-2009, 07:16 PM

The pp is correct...there is now only 1 free-standing birth center in NC. Women's Birth & Wellness Center is the last open birth center of NC's previous 3 (there used to be one in High Point and in Nags Head). I am a RN there and would happily answer any questions you might have if you want to pm me.

Please don't be fooled by the name "birth center" that some hospitals give to their L&D floors. They are a far cry from a free-standing birth center.

Best of luck on your 4th pregnancy journey!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#8 of 15 Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieLee View Post
Actually New Dawn is not a birth center, it is a clinic where they do prenatal care, well-woman care, and childbirth classes. Births are at home or at Mission Hospital. Unfortunatley there is only one birth center in the entire state-the one in Chapel Hill. After I finish my midwifery studies, I plan to tackle the enormous task of starting a birth center in Asheville.
: aww, i was so excited about new dawn, but i decided to HB before i ever went for my annual there. totally thought they did births there too. sorry!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#9 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Ellie Lee that is amazing to hear about what you plan on accomplishing. I am currently going into my last semester in Nursing School at East Tennessee State University and am planning to go on to get my graduate degree in Midwifery. I stumbled on this website because I've been looking for a birthing center to possibly work at when I graduate. Right now I'm in Johnson City but I was hoping to move to Asheville sometime this next year. It's sad to hear that there is no Birthing Center there, that may put a pinch in my plans....Where are you studying Midwifery at right now? I have also been looking at grad school and the options are minimal when it comes to Midwifery so I can't be too picky about where a wind up....Hope to hear back. Love this website! 

#10 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Ellie lee,

I am so excited to hear of your plans to open a birthing ctr. near Asheville, As you know, As soon as I am licensed in NC, I am a CNM with a homebirth practice here in the foothills & mtns central & western NC and I will go south to the Charlotte area, too, and west towards Ashville, to, as those 2 cities are only an hour away. I serve, roughly, a 2 hour radius around Hickory, as my main office and home is only a few miles north of Hickory, NC.  One of the OBs who said that they will accept my transfers  is opening a free standing birth ctr. over east of me in Statesville.

Karen Benfield, CNM & owner of BirthTender, a soon coming homebirthing CNM practice

#11 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 PM

There will be another freestanding birthing center in NC VERY SOON.  In Wilmington, NC.  It's new and still getting started, but great things are in store for NC.  I just delivered my 3rd boy in the hospital because of the legal issues with midwives attending home births in NC.  I am SO thankful that Women in the Center will be here when I have my next child!  My heart breaks for all the women that don't get to have the birth they want because of the lack of support and resources.

#12 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 PM

Whempsey,

Thanks for that news, wonderful news, Can't wit to hear more about it! Is Olivia Marshburn involved in thid birth ctr. opening in the Wilmington area? Congrats on the recent birth of your 3rd son.

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender, a soon coming CNM homebirth practice

#13 of 15 Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthTender View Post

Whempsey,

Thanks for that news, wonderful news, and congrats on the recent birth of your 3rd son.

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender, a CNM homebirth practice

Thanks!

#14 of 15 Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Oh Please, Please, Please, open a Birthcenter in Asheville! One that supports VBACS! I had a perfect vbac using Mahec midwives at Mission hospital, but I'm at a Total loss as for where to go if we have a third. Mahec is no longer offering fulltime midwifery services :( I currently live over 100 miles from Asheville (near Fontana) and I would gladly travel that way again for another natural delivery!  

Happy  nak.gif Mom of a dust.gif3year old and joy.gif 8 month old

#15 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Hi Ladies,

If you are not already aware, we are working on starting a birth center in WNC. Please visit our pages here (and assist our campaign by spreading the word):

www.wncbirthcenter.com

www.facebook.com/wncbirthcenter

Warmly,

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Birth Services
Midwifery Assistant & Doula
Placenta Prints & Preparations
Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga
703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.”
-Laura Stavoe Harm

“Whatever way birth happens, it is your rite of passage into motherhood, and that passage is to be celebrated.
Natural childbirth is a passage, cesarean birth is a passage, and birth with an epidural is a passage to be celebrated.
That passage cannot be taken away from you. Every mother’s birth experience is valid, and an act of courage.” 
-Ananda Lowe

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page