Kingsport, JC, or Bristol Tenn - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
Corissa, if I were you I would try to schedule your next appt. with Donna. I would be curious to see what she says about everything. It really stinks though that she is not able to deliver though.

I'm glad that the doula is working out for you. Hopefully she will talk your husband into it. You could also cry to her and tell her that you can't get your DH to agree to the $300...Who knows she may drop her rate. After all assisting in a VBAC just makes her portfolio look good. Worth a try anyway.

It only takes me exactly 1 hour to get to Bristol Hospital from here. I would imagine it would take you the same...if not less. I've heard good things about Kingsport too though. I have a friend that delivered there and they were great at not pushing an epidural too soon...she decided she wanted one but they didn't push it. They also let her water break on its own. A lot of hospitals are eager to break it too soon which puts a time limit on your labor and may cause malpositioning.

Have you wrote up a birth plan? I would do that as well if I were you.

Brandi
I've researched ICAN chapters in Va as well and it appears that closest one is 3 hours away. Let me know what you find out.

Anyway, about the Doula. We are meeting with her Thursday before my doctor's appointment. My husband has spoke with her on the phone and he is really considering having her assist us at the Hospital. I've spoke with her as well and she is so helpful with a lot of the questions I had. I'm excited about it because at least I will have someone more knowledgeable than I at the hospital to help me make informed decisions during the whole process. At least this way, I can say no to unnecessary interventions with her affirming my decision.

We just got done watching the "Business of Being Born" and it has really helped change my hubby's perspective on childbirth. It wasn't enough to sway him in the homebirth direction with this one, as we are so late in the game. But I'm thinking that by having him understand the whole process, might make it easier for him to support me in my decisions to refuse certain procedures. He's taking more interest in the birth and I am so glad. I feel like I have more support now than I started out with. I'm just thankful for that much, ya know.

Also, I've mentioned to him about switching, but he's just not considering it since I am so far. I reminded him that we could still have 4 or 5 weeks left, but he's just not comfortable with the idea or process, but maybe, when we have the interview with her on Thursday (given that I don't go into labor before then *crosses fingers*) she might be able to persuade him to let me switch. Either way, there is hope and I'm grasping at it lol.

And yes, I do have a birth plan that we are going to discuss with Saunders some more and fax to the L&D. I discussed it with him last time and he was sort of passive, but did act 'interested'. We'll see how they all take to it and I hope that they do because that's how I expect things to go.

As far as scheduling my next appt with Donna, I don't really know that I can because they stay super booked, its ridiculous! But I will try to see if they would let me talk to her or something. Couldn't hurt! After all, if she is in the practice with the other doctors, then I need to get to know all of them should Saunders not be able to attend the birth. I will just tell the office that.

The Doula is also going to give me a form or something of questions that I can ask the staff during the whole labor process, so I'm excited about that. We are on our way and I pray to God that this will be a successful vbac.

Thank you for all your help, Brandi! It means so much to me. I was so hopeless there for a while. Many of the people who have responded in this thread have given some positive feedback and information that I plan to use for my third since my husband is definitely for planning a homebirth with the next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 AM

I'm so happy for you! Things really seem to be working out in your favor now. You sound so much more positive...which is important. I'm glad I could help out some! I'm rooting for you and can't wait to hear your story. I just hope you will be around when I get pregnant! I am going to need all the help I can get! Let me know how Thursday goes if you don't care.

I checked on starting the ICAN chapter and I will have to e-mail someone. I may do that this upcoming week. I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm so happy for you! Things really seem to be working out in your favor now. You sound so much more positive...which is important. I'm glad I could help out some! I'm rooting for you and can't wait to hear your story. I just hope you will be around when I get pregnant! I am going to need all the help I can get! Let me know how Thursday goes if you don't care.

I checked on starting the ICAN chapter and I will have to e-mail someone. I may do that this upcoming week. I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
I will be sure to post my experience and hopefully it will be as positive as possible. How old are you? I'm 24. I have family that lives in Pennington and I may be up that way tomorrow if conditions are in our favor. Maybe we could meet sometime?

And I know what exactly what you are talking about when it comes to family and their support. My family thought I was bonkers from the start. I basically never talk about my birth plans with anyone in the extended family because last year, before I miscarried (naturally at 11 weeks), I was talking about having a VBAC and a family member went on the defense about how it shouldn't matter how a baby is born. I mean, they said some very hurtful and insensitive words, but I guess that's not too surprising coming from someone whose never had a c-section.

I breastfed my son until he was a little around 20 months old. I'm darn happy and proud that I gave him the best. I'm kind of discouraged about breastfeeding this next one because I know how hospitals try to tell you what is best, etc. I have it in my Birth Plan that she is to be given immediately to me so that I can nurse her and establish our breastfeeding relationship and no supplementing without my consent, so they better respect that!

But yea, I never got much support with breastfeeding my son. In fact, people were trying to discourage it from the very beginning and telling me that he wasn't getting enough. I knew better! He was a 9lb baby, mind you and had already gained most of his weight back by the time we left the hospital. Then, when we went for his 2 week checkup, he had already gained it all back and then some.

Yea, breastfeeding was painful because he had a horrible latch. The little booger, he was just impatient and latched on to whatever came towards him lol. He's still impatient to this day when it comes to eating, so its kind of funny recalling those moments when he would latch on so quickly...ow! lol

I'm not really at all that crunchy of a mother myself. I like to think of it as the maternal instinct that God has given me. I think that I am like the rebel mom compared to my extended family because I am just so different from their mainstream thinking.

I also have mei tai that I used with my son a couple of times, but he hated it because he wanted the freedom to move around lol. I am ordering a ring sling for her, so that I can carry her around with ease and allow her to be close to me. I can't wait until we order it!

Anyway, so yea, that is a little bit about me. lol
Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 AM

Haha! I don't think either one of us go to bed when we should, huh?

I am 27. Who is your family? I would love to meet up sometime!

I have the same problem with some family members making the comment that it shouldn't matter how a baby is born...just that they are healthy. You're right, they don't understand because they had the birth they wanted. And I think that some women just really don't care. I dreamed of what childbrith was like even at an early age. Yea, I had about the exact opposite of what I pictured!

Oh, I'm pretty far from crunchy. I really try hard and wish I could be better but am proud of some of the choices I have made. I really do blame it on the area a lot though. I'm not putting it down it is just hard around here to do some of the things that I wish I could do.

Owen didn't like carriers much either. But I am still obsessed with them! lol! I'm hoping my next one will like it. I don't think I gave it a fair shot though. By the time I have my next one I will be pushing for him/her to like it. What else do you do with a toddler/preschooler! haha.

I had a really hard time with breastfeeding my son as well. I didn't see him for what seemed like forever after the csection. I think that had a lot to do with it. The lactation consultant at the hospital sucked. He only latched on a couple of times at the hospital. I finally ended up feeding him with a dropper and eventually ended up pumping exclusively. I did that for the first 3 weeks. I finally discovered nipple shields....SAVED my breastfeeding experience! I used that until he was about 2.5 months old and then FINALLY he latched on!!!!!! Shew! It was hard work in the beginning! I ended up breastfeeding him until he was a year old. Kudos to you for doing so good!

How old is your little boy anyway? Mine is 20 months...his name is Owen.

Brandi
Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 AM

Are you on myspace or facebook?

If you are you can add me.

My myspace is

myspace.com/bradsgirlowensmom

My facebook is

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/br...th?ref=profile

Thought that might be easier for us to keep each other updated with our birthy stuff once this thread dies. lol
Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha! I don't think either one of us go to bed when we should, huh?

I am 27. Who is your family? I would love to meet up sometime!

I have the same problem with some family members making the comment that it shouldn't matter how a baby is born...just that they are healthy. You're right, they don't understand because they had the birth they wanted. And I think that some women just really don't care. I dreamed of what childbrith was like even at an early age. Yea, I had about the exact opposite of what I pictured!

Oh, I'm pretty far from crunchy. I really try hard and wish I could be better but am proud of some of the choices I have made. I really do blame it on the area a lot though. I'm not putting it down it is just hard around here to do some of the things that I wish I could do.

Owen didn't like carriers much either. But I am still obsessed with them! lol! I'm hoping my next one will like it. I don't think I gave it a fair shot though. By the time I have my next one I will be pushing for him/her to like it. What else do you do with a toddler/preschooler! haha.

I had a really hard time with breastfeeding my son as well. I didn't see him for what seemed like forever after the csection. I think that had a lot to do with it. The lactation consultant at the hospital sucked. He only latched on a couple of times at the hospital. I finally ended up feeding him with a dropper and eventually ended up pumping exclusively. I did that for the first 3 weeks. I finally discovered nipple shields....SAVED my breastfeeding experience! I used that until he was about 2.5 months old and then FINALLY he latched on!!!!!! Shew! It was hard work in the beginning! I ended up breastfeeding him until he was a year old. Kudos to you for doing so good!

How old is your little boy anyway? Mine is 20 months...his name is Owen.

Brandi
I've been so sleepy and sometimes, my brain just won't let me sleep, on top of her kicking. So, I've just been sitting here eating and drinking water. All I crave is sweets and its so annoying! lol

My son will be 3 in October. Gosh, time flies! Seems just like yesterday, I stuck him to the breast for the first time and our bonding relationship kicked off. I will never forget that moment, no matter how drugged up I was, I still recall it.

I'm glad that you were able to breastfeed for so long despite the obstacles. I've made up my mind that if came down to it and the hospital screwed it up for us, I'd pump exclusively. I'm really hoping that won't be the case.

Anyway, I added you on Myspace. I don't update about personal information in my blogs anymore because of some family drama that took place a year back. But, I'm thinking about posting my birth story should be a good one.

Oh and my cousins are Amanda and Misty Benfield. They are married now.

You'll see what my personality is by my profile, though. See you on there.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
Have you tried attending a LLL meeting? There are meetings in Damascus, VA; Bristol, TN/VA; and Johnson City, TN. Many of the attendees are no longer nursing but attend to support other mothers. Although the topics you mention aren't covered during the meetings (except breastfeeding), you meet people with whom these things are often discussed after meetings.

The World Breastfeeding Walk is August 1st at 9 am in downtown Bristol. It's a good opportunity for chatting with like-minded people (of varying levels of "crunchiness"). There is also a baby fair put on by LLL and the YWCA of Bristol on August 15th. There will be a babywearing demonstration and a silent auction (last year I got a bunch of cloth diapers at the auction).

I am too lazy to go back and quote these, but I saw that two of you had difficult starts to breastfeeding last time. I definitely recommend attending a LLL meeting before giving birth, or at least getting in touch with one of the leaders. The leaders we have in this area are very experienced, caring, and helpful. They are also very committed to helping women have a positive breastfeeding experience. Two are practicing lactation consultants. Since the lactation consultant in the hospital didn't visit me until Elliott was several hours old, I called one of the leaders right away to get off to a good start. The nurses at Indian Path Medical Center did seem to be pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but maybe they were just faking it because they knew I was a placenta-saving, tandem nursing, home birthing nut!

~Carrie
Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
Have you tried attending a LLL meeting? There are meetings in Damascus, VA; Bristol, TN/VA; and Johnson City, TN. Many of the attendees are no longer nursing but attend to support other mothers. Although the topics you mention aren't covered during the meetings (except breastfeeding), you meet people with whom these things are often discussed after meetings.

The World Breastfeeding Walk is August 1st at 9 am in downtown Bristol. It's a good opportunity for chatting with like-minded people (of varying levels of "crunchiness"). There is also a baby fair put on by LLL and the YWCA of Bristol on August 15th. There will be a babywearing demonstration and a silent auction (last year I got a bunch of cloth diapers at the auction).

I am too lazy to go back and quote these, but I saw that two of you had difficult starts to breastfeeding last time. I definitely recommend attending a LLL meeting before giving birth, or at least getting in touch with one of the leaders. The leaders we have in this area are very experienced, caring, and helpful. They are also very committed to helping women have a positive breastfeeding experience. Two are practicing lactation consultants. Since the lactation consultant in the hospital didn't visit me until Elliott was several hours old, I called one of the leaders right away to get off to a good start. The nurses at Indian Path Medical Center did seem to be pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but maybe they were just faking it because they knew I was a placenta-saving, tandem nursing, home birthing nut!

~Carrie
Thank you for information, Carrie! I really hope that I can attend the baby fair. How awesome would that be!

Before my son was born, I was really ignorant of breastfeeding. It was after I had him that I really started doing my research and getting support from breastfeeding communities and the like. I am so thankful that I had them to turn to, even though it wasn't LLL. I did go to their site many times for information and it really helped.

Fortunately, my son's only issues was the latch in the first weeks, then my nipples just kind of got broken in. After that, it was smooth sailing. He was a very committed breastfeeding baby lol. Family would try to give him a bottle behind my back, but to no avail. Heheheh! That's another story, but yea, pretty much shows how much support I had in the beginning...none.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Hello! I'm new to Johnson City and very recently found out I'm pregnant with my second child. I do not have a doctor yet and looking for one who will support both a natural birth as well as a VBAC. I was told that Dr. Green and Dr. Liang at Sycamore Shoals Birthing Center are both very good. Anyone know anything about them and/or the hospital? Thank you so much!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
Dr. Lenita Thibault ((423) 247-2252) is supposedly VBAC-friendly. I know someone who had her first VBAC with her and is planning a second.
I saw Dr. Thibault a few times during my pregnancy 3 years ago. She was great! But, I would never, ever go to Dr. Roseanne Kappa who is in the same practice as Dr. Thibault.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been busy so just lurking. Haven't had time to post.

Carrie, thank you so much for the info. I'm not sure if I could find the time to attend a meeting now as it would be a far drive. I will definately look it up before I have my next baby though. Thanks again.

Corissa any baby news yet? Did you get to talk to the midwife at your appointment? How did the meeting go with the doula today?

Sorry Thomas07 haven't heard anything about Sycamore Shoals but am very interested! Let us know if you find out any info.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry I've been MIA. I've been busy so just lurking. Haven't had time to post.

Carrie, thank you so much for the info. I'm not sure if I could find the time to attend a meeting now as it would be a far drive. I will definately look it up before I have my next baby though. Thanks again.

Corissa any baby news yet? Did you get to talk to the midwife at your appointment? How did the meeting go with the doula today?

Sorry Thomas07 haven't heard anything about Sycamore Shoals but am very interested! Let us know if you find out any info.
I don't know if you have read the bulletin and stuff I posted on Myspace, but yea, I had my little girl the same day you made this post. The Doula was wonderful and attended the birth without a formal interview. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful the experience was and the hospital was actually open to my birth plan. Read my post in the August due date sub-forum in the pregnant forum. I hope this encourages you and I highly recommend Patty to be your Doula. She actually visited today to see how things are going with me and the baby. If you have any questions, just ask.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Hi, my name is Lynette. I know it's been an awful long time since this original post, but I just wanted to let anyone who is reading this know that I am a Labor Doula / Perinatal Support Specialist and I service Southwest VA and TriCities TN.  I charge $400.00 which includes monthly prenatal visits with bi-weekly visits at 36 weeks, unlimited phone and email access, unlimited information and resources, complete labor and delivery support with 2 hours care immediately after birth, assistance with a birth plan, up to 2 post-partum visits, and unlimited resources and information. 

I have delivered 5 of my own children (4 natural and 1 C-section) and breastfed all 5 of them.  I have also attended several other births and am certifying through CBI.  I am enrolling in AAMI for midwifery school this Spring.  I will attend homebirths or hospital births.  If you have any questions or would like to meet, please contact me at  [email protected]  or call 276-791-7586.   You can also check out my blog at  www.callmydoula.blogspot.com

joy.gif

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Hi, my name is Lynette. I know it's been an awful long time since this original post, but I just wanted to let anyone who is reading this know that I am a Labor Doula / Perinatal Support Specialist and I service Southwest VA and TriCities TN.  I charge $400.00 which includes monthly prenatal visits with bi-weekly visits at 36 weeks, unlimited phone and email access, unlimited information and resources, complete labor and delivery support with 2 hours care immediately after birth, assistance with a birth plan, up to 2 post-partum visits, and unlimited resources and information. 

I have delivered 5 of my own children (4 natural and 1 C-section) and breastfed all 5 of them.  I have also attended several other births and am certifying through CBI.  I am enrolling in AAMI for midwifery school this Spring.  I will attend homebirths or hospital births.  If you have any questions or would like to meet, please contact me at  [email protected]  or call 276-791-7586.   You can also check out my blog at  www.callmydoula.blogspot.com

joy.gif

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Hi, if it is of help to anyone in the NorthEast TN areas,  I know of a CNM who lives in Elizabethton & midwifes at births in NE TN & down into the Asheville areas of NC

Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM

so do you know of any doulas or midwives that cover the Greenville, Morristown, Knoxville area???

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM

I am a doula in Bristol, TN and will travel to Greenville area to assist you. :) [email protected] is my email address. You can find my facebook page at www.facebook.com/naturalbirthconsulting

Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM

pm'd you!

User Tag List