Kingsport, JC, or Bristol Tenn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a midwife, doula, or an OB that is at least close to crunchy.

I am currently seeing Saunders with HVMC and I am not pleased as of late. The office seems unorganized anymore. He also confuses me on my due date because he just skims the chart and I'm basically left feeling like I wasted a good hour drive just to hear, "Ok, this is good, that is good, baby's heartbeat is good...come back in 2 weeks." The reason I started going to this doc in the first place is because of his positive feedback from two friends of mine, but they were emergency situations and obviously he was more one on one then than he is now since his practice has grown. Its very impersonal.

Anyway, so I want a VBAC and he hasn't discouraged against that, but I don't have the feedback on that I would like to have when it comes to actually carrying through with what he says. I am working on my birth plan and am afraid of having a power struggle when it comes to the pushing position and so forth. My next appt is next week, so I will be asking him the necessary questions and hopefully get the answers I need. I just feel like it may be too late to find a good practice if I need the backup. I should have done this in the beginning, but I honestly thought he would be an attentive doctor.

I live in SWVA, so I am already driving at least an hour to see this practice and would really like to find a provider or doula in Kingsport or the surrounding areas listed in the title of this thread. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Are you interested in a home birth? There is a directory of home birth midwives at www.tnmidwives.org/directory.html. I notice the link to Angie's website is not working, I will look into that.
#3 of 48 Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Hello!!! I'm sorry you are not pleased with Dr. Saunders. My oldest son was delivered by Dr. Saunders and my youngest by Dr. Beckner. They were always so wonderful. I did notice that the office was indeed unorganized and I ended up waiting for most of my appt's. However, the Dr's were wonderful IMHO. I hope that your next appt goes well for you and if not, that you are able to find the support you are looking for!
#4 of 48 Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Hey I saw Dr. Joy Anderson and she was great. She used to be with Appalachian but is now with East TN OB/GYN. She always gave me the time I needed and was very supportive and understanding.
#5 of 48 Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
Are you interested in a home birth? There is a directory of home birth midwives at www.tnmidwives.org/directory.html. I notice the link to Angie's website is not working, I will look into that.
Yes, a home birth would be more ideal, but I am afraid that I am too late in the game to even thinking about doing so. On top of that, I thought most do not attempt it with women who have had c-section, I could be wrong.

I spoke with Saunders today and it appears that they will not let me move freely during laboring and I will be restricted to the bed, which is exactly what I want to avoid. On top of that, the only birthing position I will be allowed is sitting up with my legs in those stirrups.

Needless to say, I left the office very emotional today as I have no backbone to argue with the doctor. I do like the fact that he acted interested in my birth plan, but its just not enough as I do not want to be restricted during labor. I guess I will just stay home when I go into labor and allow my labor to progress, then go in?

I'm just afraid that I am going to be stuck with this as I was ignorant throughout this whole pregnancy and assumed they would allow me to move freely during laboring and etc. I'm very disappointed and am so ready to change, but I just don't know who would take me at 35 weeks. I know, I waited too late.
#6 of 48 Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM

PM me if you are interested in a home birth. It is always worth a call. I have contact info. for the two home birth midwives that work in this area. I believe that one will work as a doula upon request.

I just planned a home birth VBAC two weeks ago, but I ended up transferring to a hospital (Indian Path Medical Center) during labor (through no fault of the midwife) and ended up with a C-section (necessary this time). The doctor on staff was Dr. Mark Withrow, and he was pretty great about the whole thing. He was very encouraging about the VBAC and treated me very respectfully, especially since I basically came in off the street and had a birth plan with lots of requests/demands. I did get an epidural, so I don't know his feelings about walking during labor, but he was so great about everything else (delaying cord clamping during C-section, keeping the placenta, having my toddler nursing during labor, etc.) that I would think he would be fine. My doula and midwife were really impressed with him.

For what it is worth, the rest of the hospital experience was also really good. I had to push a bit for a few things (no separation of baby from parents and giving vitamin K orally instead of in a shot), but they were otherwise very accommodating. My toddler and newborn slept in the hospital bed with me each night (I wasn't blatant about the newborn sleeping with us and pretended to be awake whenever someone came in) and my husband slept on the guest bed. My toddler was with me throughout everything but the surgery, and no one even gave a shocked reaction to my tandem nursing a three year-old and a newborn. If anything, I got a positive response (at least to my face .

Good luck with your plans, and feel free to PM me.

~Carrie
#7 of 48 Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 AM

MommaC I was wondering if you have found a Dr/Midwife yet. I am not currently pregnant but doing reasearch in hopes of a Summer 2010 VBAC. Your post caught my attention because I am also trying to find a supportive Dr. and I also live in SW VA. I live In Pennington Gap...where are you located? Good luck with your VBAC! I hope I am able to catch your wonderful VBAC birth story!
#8 of 48 Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Dr. Lenita Thibault ((423) 247-2252) is supposedly VBAC-friendly. I know someone who had her first VBAC with her and is planning a second.
#9 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
PM me if you are interested in a home birth. It is always worth a call. I have contact info. for the two home birth midwives that work in this area. I believe that one will work as a doula upon request.

I just planned a home birth VBAC two weeks ago, but I ended up transferring to a hospital (Indian Path Medical Center) during labor (through no fault of the midwife) and ended up with a C-section (necessary this time). The doctor on staff was Dr. Mark Withrow, and he was pretty great about the whole thing. He was very encouraging about the VBAC and treated me very respectfully, especially since I basically came in off the street and had a birth plan with lots of requests/demands. I did get an epidural, so I don't know his feelings about walking during labor, but he was so great about everything else (delaying cord clamping during C-section, keeping the placenta, having my toddler nursing during labor, etc.) that I would think he would be fine. My doula and midwife were really impressed with him.

For what it is worth, the rest of the hospital experience was also really good. I had to push a bit for a few things (no separation of baby from parents and giving vitamin K orally instead of in a shot), but they were otherwise very accommodating. My toddler and newborn slept in the hospital bed with me each night (I wasn't blatant about the newborn sleeping with us and pretended to be awake whenever someone came in) and my husband slept on the guest bed. My toddler was with me throughout everything but the surgery, and no one even gave a shocked reaction to my tandem nursing a three year-old and a newborn. If anything, I got a positive response (at least to my face .

Good luck with your plans, and feel free to PM me.

~Carrie
Wow, sounds like a very cooperative doctor. If you don't mind my asking, I just got back from reading one of your posts about how labor went your attempted VBAC. Does the doctor know why your contractions were so intense? This is what makes me nervous about going through with a homebirth even if my husband would let me. A part of me would love it, but then the negative part is like, "Don't try it."

I mean, I would actually really love to try for a HB, but its just my husband forbids it. Its his income and so, I really have no choice.
#10 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
MommaC I was wondering if you have found a Dr/Midwife yet. I am not currently pregnant but doing reasearch in hopes of a Summer 2010 VBAC. Your post caught my attention because I am also trying to find a supportive Dr. and I also live in SW VA. I live In Pennington Gap...where are you located? Good luck with your VBAC! I hope I am able to catch your wonderful VBAC birth story!
I'm sorry, but still no such luck as I am getting very little feedback. I have a friend who is seeing a doctor with The Seasons, but by the time she gets familiar with the woman and her practice, I'll probably already have my baby lol.

Good luck!

BTW, I am from BSG.
#11 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Dr. Lenita Thibault ((423) 247-2252) is supposedly VBAC-friendly. I know someone who had her first VBAC with her and is planning a second.
Thanks! I'll look into it.
#12 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

I went to Seasons with my first preganancy. I loved it. BUT I will not be going there for my next. There are too many Drs. So even if one was VBAC friendly you would still run into obsticals with the others. They were also very pushy for me to be induced....very pushy. Somehow they actually talked me into it. I was induced on my due date FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!!! Gee I wonder why I had a C section! I was dumb and uneducated but I know better this time. I just don't think it will be the place for me. When I went in for my 6 week check up I asked the nurse practioner if I will be able to have a VBAC with my next she said "well you can, the hospital allows it but most usually take the easy way and just schedule a cs" yeah I won't be going back!
#13 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommac2006 View Post
Wow, sounds like a very cooperative doctor. If you don't mind my asking, I just got back from reading one of your posts about how labor went your attempted VBAC. Does the doctor know why your contractions were so intense? This is what makes me nervous about going through with a homebirth even if my husband would let me. A part of me would love it, but then the negative part is like, "Don't try it."
I haven't asked my midwife or OB yet about the intense labor. I know that my midwife was surprised by it (in conjunction with the slow progress), but I was too emotional in my postpartum visit to ask. Even at the hospital, I had Pitocin and my toddler nursing, and contractions were very strong yet not productive. I am still very confused by the whole thing. I will probably ask the OB on Friday. Perhaps it had something to do with the cord being so short.

As for trying an HBAC, I do think it would be stressful to not have your DH's support. I used to look at it only from the mother's side, since it is your body that is going through this. However, in our case, we now have to pay for the HBAC ($3100), doula ($900 because it was such a long labor and we needed her to hep with DD), *and* the C-section ($6000). It may be different for others who have different insurance, but we have a high deductible and the midwife is "out of network", so goes towards a separate deductible. My DH was all for HBAC, but we are both really stressed about the financial outcome. We're glad we tried the HBAC simply because we both feel like it gave me the best shot at a VBAC, and now we know we did everything we could and won't look back regretfully thinking that we might have had the VBAC if we did things differently. However, if it were safe for me to try a VBAC again, we would not do an HBAC.

With that being said, my midwife assists a lot of VBACs and doesn't have a high transfer rate. If you have decent insurance, you could still give it a try.
#14 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I went to Seasons with my first preganancy. I loved it. BUT I will not be going there for my next. There are too many Drs. So even if one was VBAC friendly you would still run into obsticals with the others. They were also very pushy for me to be induced....very pushy. Somehow they actually talked me into it. I was induced on my due date FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!!!! Gee I wonder why I had a C section! I was dumb and uneducated but I know better this time. I just don't think it will be the place for me. When I went in for my 6 week check up I asked the nurse practioner if I will be able to have a VBAC with my next she said "well you can, the hospital allows it but most usually take the easy way and just schedule a cs" yeah I won't be going back!
Wow! Thanks for that information. Maybe I should tell my friend as she is planning her 3rd VBAC.

I ended up with a section seeing Manoharan. I never want to go back there. Like you, I was induced for no real reason other than I was over my due date and my son was weighing over 9lbs.

So far, the doctor I am seeing discourages inductions, but how do I know he won't push for a section? Ugh! I'm suddenly feeling very depressed.
#15 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 PM

I've heard bad things about Manoharan from others as well. Their office is really unorganized! My SIL is going there and I went with her once...it was a horrible experience for me and her!

I really really really wish that Seasons felt right but it just doesn't. I loved it there. Loved all the Drs. I could see a few of them being VBAC friendly but not all. I've thought about going there for my yearly that is coming up to see what they have to say. The nurse practioner just had a cs her self because her baby was big...she didn't even get induced just had a cs so I'm thinking that she was speaking for herself KWIM? BUT I don't want to waste my time going there when I could go for my yearly somewhere else to see how I felt. Ahh I don't know what to do!

How do you find a Dr? Do you just go when you get pregnant and change if it's not working out? Or do you actually "interview" different places to see?

When is your friend due? I would love to hear how it turns out for her if she decides to stay at Seasons.

There was one Dr. at Seasons (he was my favorite) Dr. Marden. He isn't there anymore but I thought about going to him. He has wonderful bedside manor...I mean wonderful!!!! He was one who asked me how I felt about inductions during my first pregnancy but I'm wondering if he had to ask that under the group since they all asked it? He just seems like he would be supportive but I don't know.

I know your biggest concern is not being able to walk around during labor...that is mine as well. I am planning on heading on over to Kinsport/Bristol when I notice that my labor has started a good pattern and labor in a hotel as long as possible with a doula that way when I get to the hospital I won't have to labor in bed as long. I'm really hoping I get to the hospital right before pushing though!

I've even thought about going to the birth center in Knoxville. It is only 2 hours away but the traffic is more unpredictable so I don't know yet.

Sorry this turned into a book!
#16 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't asked my midwife or OB yet about the intense labor. I know that my midwife was surprised by it (in conjunction with the slow progress), but I was too emotional in my postpartum visit to ask. Even at the hospital, I had Pitocin and my toddler nursing, and contractions were very strong yet not productive. I am still very confused by the whole thing. I will probably ask the OB on Friday. Perhaps it had something to do with the cord being so short.

As for trying an HBAC, I do think it would be stressful to not have your DH's support. I used to look at it only from the mother's side, since it is your body that is going through this. However, in our case, we now have to pay for the HBAC ($3100), doula ($900 because it was such a long labor and we needed her to hep with DD), *and* the C-section ($6000). It may be different for others who have different insurance, but we have a high deductible and the midwife is "out of network", so goes towards a separate deductible. My DH was all for HBAC, but we are both really stressed about the financial outcome. We're glad we tried the HBAC simply because we both feel like it gave me the best shot at a VBAC, and now we know we did everything we could and won't look back regretfully thinking that we might have had the VBAC if we did things differently. However, if it were safe for me to try a VBAC again, we would not do an HBAC.

With that being said, my midwife assists a lot of VBACs and doesn't have a high transfer rate. If you have decent insurance, you could still give it a try.
This would give me a little bit of hope considering that she doesn't have a high transfer rate, but I'm not sure if our insurance covers it. I'll definitely have to find out from my husband. He'd most likely discourage a homebirth anyway. He will not inform himself.

I am interested in their contact info, if you want to pm it to me.
#17 of 48 Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard bad things about Manoharan from others as well. Their office is really unorganized! My SIL is going there and I went with her once...it was a horrible experience for me and her!
Actually, their office is more organized than the one I am currently going to. I can't believe how unorganized they are. I mean, I've even been asked why I am getting an u/s when the doctor is the one who ordered the u/s. Talk about confident right there. Or how about everytime the doctor enters to see me, I am always either further along or behind my due date. I mean, that is, he just skims the chart and says, "Okay, you are such and such weeks today." and I'm like, "Huh?" Is my due date changing lol.

Quote:
I really really really wish that Seasons felt right but it just doesn't. I loved it there. Loved all the Drs. I could see a few of them being VBAC friendly but not all. I've thought about going there for my yearly that is coming up to see what they have to say. The nurse practioner just had a cs her self because her baby was big...she didn't even get induced just had a cs so I'm thinking that she was speaking for herself KWIM? BUT I don't want to waste my time going there when I could go for my yearly somewhere else to see how I felt. Ahh I don't know what to do!
Yep, that does speak for itself.

Quote:
How do you find a Dr? Do you just go when you get pregnant and change if it's not working out? Or do you actually "interview" different places to see?
We interviewed a couple, but not as thoroughly as I should have. The first was Erin Mullins at NCH and she tried to discourage a VBAC when I was pregnant last year and so I went to Saunders and settled since he didn't discourage it, but in fact, encouraged it.

Quote:
When is your friend due? I would love to hear how it turns out for her if she decides to stay at Seasons.
She is due near the end of January. Hopefully she will have a positive experience. She was seeing Judy(? not sure that is her first name) Phisher or however her last name is spelled and she is the one who helped her accomplish two VBACs, but that's with induction. That's not really safe for an attempted VBAC as you well know.

Quote:
There was one Dr. at Seasons (he was my favorite) Dr. Marden. He isn't there anymore but I thought about going to him. He has wonderful bedside manor...I mean wonderful!!!! He was one who asked me how I felt about inductions during my first pregnancy but I'm wondering if he had to ask that under the group since they all asked it? He just seems like he would be supportive but I don't know.
Now a days, you just never know about doctors and their practices unless there is enough good feedback about them. I hate going under impressions because so far, the impression I have gotten of my doctor is not very good as opposed to what I have heard about his practice.

Quote:
I know your biggest concern is not being able to walk around during labor...that is mine as well. I am planning on heading on over to Kinsport/Bristol when I notice that my labor has started a good pattern and labor in a hotel as long as possible with a doula that way when I get to the hospital I won't have to labor in bed as long. I'm really hoping I get to the hospital right before pushing though!
I initially wanted to labor at home, but given that the hosp is an hour away, that may be too risky. My husband won't let me do the hotel thing so I am stuck having the wonder the hallways of the hospital during labor. At least he agreed to that.

Quote:
I've even thought about going to the birth center in Knoxville. It is only 2 hours away but the traffic is more unpredictable so I don't know yet.

Sorry this turned into a book!
Wish I could get my hubby to agree to something like that, but he's not budging. An hour drive is enough for him. *sigh*

I've written a book on here a time or two lol.
#18 of 48 Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Hmm I don't know of a Judy fisher/Phisher at Seasons. I looked on thier website and don't see her on there either. Do you know if she is new? I can't beleive they induced her!

I am so happy I came across this forum. As you know it is very hard to find any info on this online due to the size of our area. And to find someone from BSG is just crazy!

Do you think that you are just getting nervous about your upcoming due date which is making you question your Dr? It sounds great that he encourages VBACs. How long will they let you go past due? I really hope you will post your birth story on here, I would love to read it!
#19 of 48 Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm I don't know of a Judy fisher/Phisher at Seasons. I looked on thier website and don't see her on there either. Do you know if she is new? I can't beleive they induced her!

I am so happy I came across this forum. As you know it is very hard to find any info on this online due to the size of our area. And to find someone from BSG is just crazy!

Do you think that you are just getting nervous about your upcoming due date which is making you question your Dr? It sounds great that he encourages VBACs. How long will they let you go past due? I really hope you will post your birth story on here, I would love to read it!
She didn't practice with The Seasons. Here is all I could find on her:

http://www.healthgrades.com/director...D-E81C3B4D.cfm

I know what you mean about finding locals on a website like this, especially from around our area. Its definitely not a common thing lol.

The reason I am starting to doubt my ob is because he has been giving me lots of u/s lately to not only check on my hydronephrosis, but to also check on the size of the baby. That's where I am torn because I remember in the beginning he mentioned something about a baby being too big to birth. So, this makes me paranoid because I know estimates can be off, even though it wasn't with my son. And because he said he will not induce due to increase risk of UR, but how do I know he won't try to push for a section?

The reason for this question is mostly because of the u/s and monitoring of the baby's size. That makes me real nervous.

I am trying RRL and EPO to get the ball rolling on some action and toughen my uterus. I will hopefully be getting the EPO tomorrow. I so wish there was some midwives/doulas that practiced in our area.
#20 of 48 Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM

Oh that is frustrating! I know it will be hard but you can refuse the us if they are only checking the baby's size. You can also refuse to scedule a cs if they are only advising it due to size. Have you ever checked out babycenter.com? They have a VBAC board that has been very helpful to me.

I have found one midwife in Kingsport, Donna McDonald. I haven't heard anything about her though.

I found a couple of doulas, but unfortunatley I can't remember the site that I found them on. I have been e-mailing one back and forth. She is helping me find an OB. If you would like I can give you her e-mail.
#21 of 48 Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh that is frustrating! I know it will be hard but you can refuse the us if they are only checking the baby's size. You can also refuse to scedule a cs if they are only advising it due to size. Have you ever checked out babycenter.com? They have a VBAC board that has been very helpful to me.

I have found one midwife in Kingsport, Donna McDonald. I haven't heard anything about her though.

I found a couple of doulas, but unfortunatley I can't remember the site that I found them on. I have been e-mailing one back and forth. She is helping me find an OB. If you would like I can give you her e-mail.
Well, I have hydronephrosis so if it weren't for that, I probably would refuse the u/s. And I will refuse a scheduled c/s if it comes down to it. I don't want to go through that again.

I've heard of Donna McDonald from somewhere, not sure where, though. Sure would be nice if someone could tell me about her.

Yes, if you don't care, pm me the doula's email.
#22 of 48 Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 AM

MommaC-Just wondering if you were able to contact the doula. How did it go? Are you getting excited about your upcoming VBAC? Nervous? What did you decide to do about your current Ob? I'm getting overwhelmed with my research...I think I will take some time off from trying to find a supportive midwife/ob for now and read a book instead. Thinking about silent knife. Have you read it? Just wanted an update from you! Btw, what is your name? I am Brandi.
#23 of 48 Old 07-17-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
MommaC-Just wondering if you were able to contact the doula. How did it go? Are you getting excited about your upcoming VBAC? Nervous? What did you decide to do about your current Ob? I'm getting overwhelmed with my research...I think I will take some time off from trying to find a supportive midwife/ob for now and read a book instead. Thinking about silent knife. Have you read it? Just wanted an update from you! Btw, what is your name? I am Brandi.
I just now contacted her. I had actually forgotten that I got her email off of you.

Well, I'm not thrilled about where I will be attempting a VBAC if that helps answer your question. I toured the Labor and Delivery today hoping to get some positive feedback about how they do things. Pretty much, they are not VBAC friendly. They will encourage it to a certain extent and then name off a bunch of reasons why one wouldn't be able to have one.

I want to switch so bad and I really hope that my husband supports me in this decision. He's starting to see what I am talking about in terms of how c-section happy these doctors and nurses are. It sucks, to say the least. My only hope right now is God. That's it! Unless I can find someone on short notice who is 100% supportive of a VBAC and not just partially supportive, then I'm doomed to give birth at that hospital.

Also, they told me that they wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks. Sorry, but I'm the one carrying the baby. Not them!! Yea, I left there in a bad mood.

Sorry that I am of no help. My husband ran into a lady at the Health Food store over in Kingsport and she was asking him about me or something because he was buying the EPO and RRL tea for me. She asked him if I was seeing one of the midwives in the area and he told her no that I wanted one, though. Told her where I was going to be delivering and so forth. Of course, he didn't tell me this until after we left the store. Sooo, I'm thinking about calling the store tomorrow and requesting to speak with her..I don't even know her name! But its worth a shot because if she knows of midwives in the area, that would be so good if she could give me some information, ya know.

I'll let you know what she says.
#24 of 48 Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh that just stinks! So upsetting this late in your pregnancy. You are going to Kingsport right? I would love to here what midwives are around here. I think that Bristol might be a better choice. I'm not sure that they will be totally supportive but during my tour they went over everything they offer to help with labor. whirlpool tub, squat bars....they also use a heplock. They used a heplock with me and let me get up use the bathroom walk around etc. I was induced and ended up agreeing to an epi. because my contractions were so intense and I had 2 failed epidurals. They would not let me get up after that even though it was obvious that I could feel my legs...now that sucked. I don't know about Johnson City though. I hope you find someone who is willing to take you. Keep your faith in God and listen to your heart. Try to stay positive...these are just small bumps in the road. Stand your ground and I am confident that everything is going to work out for you!

BTW what health food store do you go to? I didn't realize there was one in Kingsport.

Maybe we should start an ICAN chapter in our area....
#25 of 48 Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 PM

The doctor I began my 2nd pregnancy with moved to Johnson City around my 2nd trimester. She was very open to working with me to have the birth I wanted to have. I don't know what practice she is with in JC, but her name is Ginger Williams Carter.
#26 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 AM

I can't sleep so I am looking online for a midwife. I can't remember if I mentioned her before but I found Donna McDonald in Kingsport. I googled her and it shows she is part of the group with Saunders and Beckner. I'm not positive. I would think you would already know about her if she was in the same group but anyway, here is her info.

http://www.wellmontphysicians.org/pa...alley_bios.htm

Even if she is not in the same group she may be willing to take you this late.
#27 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 AM

Ok, looks like she is part of the group and I have already mentioned her. No wonder she sounded familiar to you! lol! The bad part is that it doesn't look like she delivers. Hmmm do you think you could schedule your next appt. with her and get her input on things?

Sorry, I was really excited for you for a moment. I should have researched more before I replied.
#28 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

The name of the health food store is "Mac's Wellness Nutrition & Wellness". I really like it and the people are so helpful. Its near the Mall, so its not really hard to find.

Yes, I realized that Donna McDonald was apart of the same practice as my regular OB and I had a 'doh' moment the other day when I seen her name on the door to their office lol.

I have only seen her a couple of times and I think she just assists at the Hospital and not necessarily delivers and I have thought about talking with her since she might be more open and honest. Never know, though.

I should have considered Bristol to deliver my baby, but the drive was the main concern and I knew my husband probably wouldn't want to drive that much farther. He did say that with our next, we will plan for a homebirth after seeing how the Hospital responded to my questions. Ugh! It was like a walking nightmare being on that tour.

And I did get a reply back from the doula you referred me to and so far, she has been helpful and is offering to join us at the hospital. I just hope that we can afford it, that is my main concern. Hubby is willing to compromise on that, so I have a little bit of hope. Hoping to hear from her today so that my husband can talk with her via phone. He has to be convinced she will help increase our chances of a successful vbac delivery.

Btw, my name is Corissa. I forgot to mention that in my last reply to you.

Anyway, the ICAN chapter might be ideal as there is none that I know of around here. How would one get it started?
#29 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Corissa, if I were you I would try to schedule your next appt. with Donna. I would be curious to see what she says about everything. It really stinks though that she is not able to deliver though.

I'm glad that the doula is working out for you. Hopefully she will talk your husband into it. You could also cry to her and tell her that you can't get your DH to agree to the $300...Who knows she may drop her rate. After all assisting in a VBAC just makes her portfolio look good. Worth a try anyway.

It only takes me exactly 1 hour to get to Bristol Hospital from here. I would imagine it would take you the same...if not less. I've heard good things about Kingsport too though. I have a friend that delivered there and they were great at not pushing an epidural too soon...she decided she wanted one but they didn't push it. They also let her water break on its own. A lot of hospitals are eager to break it too soon which puts a time limit on your labor and may cause malpositioning.

Have you wrote up a birth plan? I would do that as well if I were you.

Brandi
#30 of 48 Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Oops, forgot to add the info on starting an ICAN chapter in our area. I have no idea what it would take but I will look into it. I think it would be a good thing because when I searched for one, the nearest one was in Nashville!

Brandi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page