Midwife and Dr. Recs for Fort Bragg/vicinity of NC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend who is finally pregnant with her first! : She and her husband are moving from Fort Irwin (CA) to Fort Bragg this month and she would love any recommendations you might have (she isn't a member of mothering "yet"). She hasn't decided where she wants to birth so any names/numbers would be appreciated for CNMs, DRs, and homebirth midwives (she isn't comfortable with the idea of HB yet but she has 7+months to get used to the idea). Also people to avoid would be helpful too. .

I only found one birth center so far and it was over an hour away. She is open to travelling but if someone good was close to Bragg that would be great.

Thanks so much!!!

I am so excited, you'd think I was the one pregnant.

P.S. I did do a search but most of what I found was older posts. Thanks again for your help!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 PM

If you are talking about the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill, that is probably an hour and 45 min or so from where she'll be. I had both my boys there and, although we are planning a homebirth this time, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about either of my birth experiences there. The midwives are fantastic and it is a very homelike atmosphere. I drove an hour and a half to get there for both births and it was totally worth it - absolutely my first choice after a homebirth.

The midwife we are using for a homebirth this time is near Wilmington. Have your friend go to www.nchomebirth.com and check out the website and she can fill out a "find a midwife" form there and any midwives in the area will contact her. Maybe after she interviewed one and asked any questions she had she would feel more comfortable with the idea? If she's even SLIGHTLY interested, though, she should do this ASAP. I know that our midwife, being one of the very few in the area (maybe the only one right now) books up FAST.

Do tell her to be careful about getting her care on base or at the local hospital there. I have not heard good things about them and if she's wanting a natural birth experience, she will most likely not get one there unless she's REALLY willing to fight, which most first time moms aren't going to do, and shouldn't HAVE to do! From my experience talking to miltary moms, the military docs are VERY protocol oriented...not very mom or baby oriented.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM

There are two certified nurse midwives who deliver at home in the Fayetteville area - she might want to meet with both, ask all the questions, and just make a decision about HB after that. There is also at least one CPM that delivers in that area, I'm sure someone would be happy to PM you information if your friend is interested in meeting with her too. It doesn't hurt to talk to them and get information, right?

There names are:
Nancy Harman, CNM (I used for my last birth, she is wonderful!!!)
919-837-5805

and Donna Galati, CNM
866-414-2875
Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Hello!
We just got orders to Shaw AFB but DH will be working at Ft.Bragg often. I'd love to get your friends contact info--or get her on here!

I don't know anyone there and am a bit nervous about the move!

We're a : kind of family.
-Morgan
Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Audrey in Garner was my midwife for my DD's birth, she came too fast and ended up a UC but she was great for prenatal's and after the birth itself, very hands off. I'm also on Fort Bragg. If you email me I'll send you the contact info.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchiemomma View Post
Hello!
We just got orders to Shaw AFB but DH will be working at Ft.Bragg often. I'd love to get your friends contact info--or get her on here!

I don't know anyone there and am a bit nervous about the move!
i'm moving to ft bragg in early november! i don't mind not knowing anyone, it's the fear that no one will be like minded! so, HI!!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaVallere View Post
Do tell her to be careful about getting her care on base or at the local hospital there. I have not heard good things about them and if she's wanting a natural birth experience, she will most likely not get one there unless she's REALLY willing to fight, which most first time moms aren't going to do, and shouldn't HAVE to do! From my experience talking to miltary moms, the military docs are VERY protocol oriented...not very mom or baby oriented.
There is also a wonderful group of 10 CNMs at Womack (base hospital).

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)

User Tag List