NC Hospitals with Nurse-Midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've been searching the forum but can't find this info.

I just found out on Sunday that I'm pregnant! YAY! My oldest was a medically managed hospital birth (not my idea of a good time), and my second was born at the Birth Center in High Point.

The Birth Center has closed (he was one of the last babies born there) and I REALLY am not thrilled about doing another hospital birth. I loved the Nurse Midwives at the Birth Center, though, would be more comfortable with them rather than an MD. (I'm not anti-doctor, my DH is one actually)

I live in Winston-Salem and am 90 minutes from the ONLY birth center in NC... I know that Forsyth Hospital does not currently allow CNM to deliver.

Does anyone know of any hospitals in the Triad that allow CNM to deliver babies?

Also, Does anyone know where Kathy Granger, of the High Point BC is practicing?

Thank so much!
Suzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM

If it's any consolation, I drove 90 min to get to the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill for both of my boys' births. They knew how far of a drive I had, so they let me go longer between appointments to save on gas (ie, I stayed every 2 weeks when normally I would have gone down to weekly apts). They were fabulous. We're planning a homebirth for this baby, but I have absolutely NOTHING negative to say about the WBWC. I am certain they saved me from a c/s with my first son. I think it is absolutely worth the drive to avoid a hospital birth. Because they are the only BC in the area, though, they are booking up VERY fast, so if they are even an option for you, go ahead and get in for a tour.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM

just a quick "ditto' to what Vallere said. I went there recently for an open house for area childbirth educators and doulas, and they mentioned how they're having women drive from all over for their services. I would TOTALLY drive 90 min to avoid a hospital birth- midwife or not- and would encourage you to consider the same. The difference is SO very huge and important, that 90 min in the car pales in comparison.

Would you consider a home birth? There are some awesome mw's out there that could help you w/a homebirth...

I also had a difficult hospital birth (with midwives) for #1, and then had amazing, healing, empowering homebirths for #2 and 3. Wouldn't change it for the world. Initially reluctant dh is now even a major advocate. (and, fwiw, has a similar background to your dh: he's a PhD scientist, doing research at Duke at the time, but once he read the primary literature, which I happily supplied, he was more comfortable w/my pursuing HB)

If nothing else, consider starting care at the birth center in CH so you have a spot. If you decide not to continue there, you can always leave, and probably leave open a spot for a very happy mama!

Best of luck to you!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sHousewife View Post
Hi, I've been searching the forum but can't find this info.

I just found out on Sunday that I'm pregnant! YAY! My oldest was a medically managed hospital birth (not my idea of a good time), and my second was born at the Birth Center in High Point.

The Birth Center has closed (he was one of the last babies born there) and I REALLY am not thrilled about doing another hospital birth. I loved the Nurse Midwives at the Birth Center, though, would be more comfortable with them rather than an MD. (I'm not anti-doctor, my DH is one actually)

I live in Winston-Salem and am 90 minutes from the ONLY birth center in NC... I know that Forsyth Hospital does not currently allow CNM to deliver.

Does anyone know of any hospitals in the Triad that allow CNM to deliver babies?

Also, Does anyone know where Kathy Granger, of the High Point BC is practicing?

Thank so much!
Suzy
My DH is an MD as well, and he's totally on board for a homebirth for us this time. If that is an option for you guys, I think you would really enjoy it! (fwiw, I tell people I'm the most anti-doctor doctor's wife out there)

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM

I agree with all the previous posts regarding WBWC; however, here is an answer to the specific question originally asked:

The Women's Hospital in Greensboro has CNM's delivering there, and I can recommend Central Carolina Ob/Gyn which has 5 CNMs on their staff. http://ccobgyn.com/about_us.html
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM

There's also a new birth center in Charlotte. Is that any closer to W-S?

http://carolinabirth.org/

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 PM

You might want to check out Dr. Henry Dorn in High Point. I have heard good things about him from others. Not sure were he delivers, High Point Regional probably. I delivered at Forsyth acutally spent several weeks there on bedrest and in the NICU with my last couple of babies. It was the best place for me since I needed the NICU . I saw a certified Nurse Midwife in King(she also has appointments in Winston) Her name is Sheila Billings and she is wonderful. She works with a group the group of Peri's from Wake Forest. Wake Forest University Physicians, you can see her for all prenatal care and one of the docs over her will deliver. She is great about not doing extra testing if you don't want it and really stood up for me when the docs over her were wanting me to have an amnio because of my age(39 at the time) and told them I did not want one and was not getting one. She also called and checked on me when I got stuck on hospital bedrest. She really is kind and caring and for me needing extra medical attention it was the best of both worlds.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM

The only one I am aware of is UNC in Chapel Hill. They have a group of midwives that deliver there.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 PM

I had assumed most hospitals allow CNM's to deliver if they are apart of the OBGYN practices??? I've had all hospital births so far and had 4 delivered by CNM's in a hospital settling.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 AM

I live in W-S and we are going to do the 90 minute drive to Chapel Hill for birth---likely this week. The Women's Birth and Wellness Center has been fantastic thus far. It is discouragingly far from home, but I have not heard anything positive about Forsyth from those who have delivered there. Actually, they say it is quite clean, but it has a high c-section rate and is not supportive of midwives
Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 AM

Sorry, but I've seen this name come up a number of times (Dr. Henry Dorn--with link attached) as someone supportive of midwives. Sadly, I found the midwife in his practice to be quite disempowered---she wasn't allowed to do the anatomy ultrasound for instance---only he could. And he was going on vacation for one month, it turned out. So his office phoned my home to tell me "they would give me a pass this time" with this particular test. As someone interested in making informed and thoughtful decisions about my own medical care, I thought this was infantilizing and unusual.

But upon reflection, it was in keeping with a couple other observations I made. During our first and only visit, he claimed to my husband (an MD) that unfortunately there are people (women) who unlike us, didn't know what was best for them and couldn't make decisions for themselves. It was a strange comment in response to a question about the necessity for constant fetal monitoring, which he uses exclusively in his deliveries. It was clear it wasn't the right practice for us.

Lastly, and this is where the flares should have gone up, he has this deeply intrusive and odd questionnare that he insists all new patients complete. It asks very personal questions about one's private sex life and satisfaction with partner, etc. You can and should leave questions blank that do not have any bearing on your case--whether or not he feels it is appropriate to ask.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM

I have to say that 2 babies ago I saw Shiela Billings at the Wake Forest practice and NO i was not impressed and would NOT see her again. Don't know if I am allowed to say anything further so i won't. BUT this baby I am going to Central Carolina in Greensboro and will deliver at Women's. So far I really like the midwives there. Vickie Latham is by far the best so far.

I considered the drive to the birth enter and my husband said "do you want to be stuck in traffic having contractions in the car?" Well, NO!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Hello All:

I know that this thread is a bit old but I stumbled upon it in my search for midwives in Winston-Salem, or nearby and apologize if I should post this inquiry elsewhere. I am new to mothering.com and my husband and I are recently expecting our first little one. We are interested in home birth and I see here that some of you have mentioned that as your birthing experience. I am aware of some Certified Nurse Midwives in the area that catch babies in hospitals. Are you aware of any that attend home births? I appreciate your time. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Kathy caught my first, and I thought she was working at High Point. If I had to choose a local midwife friendly hospital it'd be High Point Regional for sure. Dr. Dorn's practice is fantastic & he's extremely supporting of midwifery care & even homebirth--great doc to have on your side!

He has a midwife working in his office (i believe). I see others weren't that impressed with him, but i've heard many women speak very highly of him & he is very open about his support of midwifery.

many women I know have also used Nancy Harmon--she's a great homebirth midwife, but i'm not sure she practices in hospital settings by choice. Other folks have eagerly recommended Vicki Latham (CBC) although with that practice you deliver with whomever is on call & at Women's (where I WOULD not recommend you going!)

Hope that's helpful! 

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Hello Ladies! Thank you so much for your responses! I am continuing to consider our options. I hope you don't mind me asking SchoolhouseLife, what are your concerns regarding Women's? I had a consultation with a CNM today that attends births there and found her to be what we are looking for if we were going the hospital route. She was even very supportive of homebirths. Thanks again for your response, I do find it helpful. I had not yet considered High Point.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 AM

SchoolhouseLife, I'd also be interested in hearing a bit more about your concerns regarding the Women's Hospital in Greensboro, if you don't mind explaining more (to second OyinBaby). I'm expecting my first child in October and am also dealing with moving from Virginia to Winston-Salem halfway through my pregnancy, so I've been reading this thread with interest.

I'm interested in seeing a CNM for prenatal care and for delivery, but I don't want to go the home birth route, but rather someone who is part of an OBGYN and has hospital delivery privileges. As far as I can tell from my research, the Women's Hospital is really the only option for this in the Triad (Forsyth doesn't allow CNMs to deliver, and it sounds like High Point Regional just has that one doctor who is supportive of midwives but they can't actually deliver). Central Carolina OBGYN seemed like the best option since they have 4 CNMs on staff, so I should be able to deliver with one of them; I don't actually mind the prospect of having whichever CNM is on call, but I would want to hear more about concerns people have regarding the Women's Hospital.

Many thanks!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM

I also ask have you considered a homebirth? I am a homebirth CNM over here in Hickory, NC, which is only an hour from Winston-Salem.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM

^^ bump ^^

Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi, I am new to this site and to Winston-Salem and wondering where you can deliver in the Winston area using a midwife. I see some conflicting reports and realize this thread is old - but am wondering where some of you ended up delivering and what your experience was. Also what the red flags are about Women's in Greensboro. I am not interested in an option that involves driving to Chapel Hill or Charlotte. Please let me know if you have any info to share! I am surprised and a little frustrated to find midwifes are so rare and cannot deliver anywhere here. I was not expecting this to be the case!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM

I am a CNM at Natural Beginnings Birth Center in Statesville. It is only 30 mins from Winston. We deliver at the Birth Center and Davis Regional in Statesville. This hospital has been wonderful for our patients who desire minimal intervention. Our website is naturalbeginningsnc.com

User Tag List