NC Birth Center Cost - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a rough idea of the price of a routine pregnancy and delivery at the birth center in Chapel Hill? DH and I are planning to start a family next year, and we're contemplating adding the maternity rider to my insurance, but I'm not even sure if the extra cost for the premium is worth it. We might just pay out of pocket. I think I'm gonna give them a call in the next couple of weeks, but I just thought I would see if anyone here had any info. Thanks, mamas!

Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a funny little DS (1/11/13)
, and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I THINK that the total was around $6000....mine was covered by insurance, and I ended up paying about $1165. It was great and totally worth every penny!!!!!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012, 2023/2013, 1256/2014, 353/2015
#3 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 AM

I am 12 weeks pregnant and just started maternity care at the birth center. The total global fee is $6000.00, which includes all the care and supplies for the birth center itself, but does not include the following:
initial prenatal visit
in-house labs and lab-handling fee
non-stress tests
observation and hydration
visits to address non-routine problems
visits to check progress of labor
antibiotics and other meds in labor/delivery
infant hearing test
newborn screening test (PKU)
infant home visit and 2 week visit
infant weight check visits

Other services are referred out (and billed by the other practice):
ultra-sound
amniocentesis
circumcision

Payment plans are available for clients without insurance.

#4 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Yep, 6k is what they told us, too, plus all that other stuff.

Now if I could only figure out how much it's going to cost with my insurance! It's very confusing. So far all I've figured out is somewhere between 50 dollars and 6k

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies ladies! I was thinking the price was about 5 or 6k. DH and I are attempting to decide if we should add the maternity rider to my insurance for the coming year or if we should just pay out of pocket. Maybe some of you wise women can give me some advice. I currently have BCBS and the maternity rider would cost $214/month, which would add up to about $2500 for a year. My deductible is $3500 a year, and I NEVER go to the doctor, so unless something unexpected happens, I won't even come close to reaching that. After I reach my deductible, I would have to pay 30% of the remaining expenses in coinsurance. So, my question is, does it make sense for me to have the maternity rider from a financial standpoint? It seems to me that I would have to pay $2500 for the rider and $3500 in my deductible, which in and of itself adds up to $6000. I found this breakdown on the BCBS website. Is the 6k the already discounted price?

As you can tell, I'm completely clueless about all this! I really feel like there has to be some flaw in my logic because otherwise, the insurance is saving me no money whatsoever! Any help would be greatly appreciated. If we are going to add the rider, we have to do it next month so that it can begin in January.

Me
, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10),
#6 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 PM

We had insurance when dd was born and all told with copays, co insurance, deduductible and non covered stuff we paid about $5000 out of pocket anyway. I suppose you mostly have to consider the unexpected, like if you had to transfer to the hospital for whatever reason.
#7 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChickenhead View Post
We had insurance when dd was born and all told with copays, co insurance, deduductible and non covered stuff we paid about $5000 out of pocket anyway. I suppose you mostly have to consider the unexpected, like if you had to transfer to the hospital for whatever reason.
The thing is, my regular health insurance covers emergencies during the birth, so I don't really understand how adding maternity insurance would really save me any money.

Me
#8 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChickenhead View Post
Was your birth at the birth center?

Me
#9 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 10:27 PM

I went to the birth center and paid about $800 after insurance (IIRC) but I ended up transferring to UNC with my midwife and paid another $1500 there after insurance. That sucked but it was still a great experience and I can't say enough good stuff about WBWC!

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#10 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl28 View Post
Was your birth at the birth center?
No, it was at a hospital.
#11 of 17 Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl28 View Post
The thing is, my regular health insurance covers emergencies during the birth, so I don't really understand how adding maternity insurance would really save me any money.
It doesn't look like the maternity insurance would save you any money at all if you plan to go the birth center, especially after the $3500 deductible and the extra $2500 for the insurance.
#12 of 17 Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't seem like the maternity insurance would save me any money, so I don't see the point in paying for it. We may even end up paying a little more with insurance, since we'd have to continue paying the rider premium during the pregnancy, which I didn't take into account before. Basically we would pay a minimum of 2 years worth of the premium which is $5000 itself. I'm leaning toward not getting the insurance, but that makes me feel somewhat irresponsible, since we are planning this pregnancy. I could go with another insurance company with better plans...any suggestions?

Me
#13 of 17 Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM

I think that if your insurance covers emergencies during childbirth, that I wouldn't add the maternity rider.

BUT, you do need to remember that there are other costs aside from that 6k... the bloodwork and ultrasound, etc. I'd definitely go through the numbers several more times just to be sure.

You don't know how long it'll take you when you're TTC. It might take you a week, or it might take you a year (or more)... and all that time you'd be paying $214 dollars per month, plus it also means that you have to wait a year after you add the rider before you can get pregnant (at least that's how most BCBS works)...and what if an accident happens? Or what if you decide you really want to TTC before then?

So, let's say that from this point it is 1.5 years before you get pregnant, plus 9 months of pregnancy. For simplicities sake let's say the birth ends up costing exactly 6k (even though we know it'll probably cost more). That's 5778 dollars you'd be paying out, plus the deductible... for 6k worth of care.

Now, let's say it takes you 3.5 years to get pregnant (and I hope that's not the case, but I'm just looking at some other angles here) plus 9 months of being pregnant. That's 10,914 dollars plus the deductible... still for only 6k worth of care.

I say put the money aside every month and you will probably come close to breaking even... you might even end up with a little savings to spend on your new baby!

(I know I was over simplifying some of the numbers, but math hurts my head)

#14 of 17 Old 10-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Another thought.

You said that it covers emergencies during birth... but how about emergencies during pregnancy?

#15 of 17 Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM

#16 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rhiOrion and MommyKrista for your insights. I decided that I would feel more comfortable getting the insurance, so I've done a bit of research this past week on my maternity insurance options. I was really surprised to see that BCBS is really the only reputable company I could find that offers maternity insurance for individuals. Aetna and Cigna only offer it in the context of group insurance. So, I've decided to change the plan I have with BCBS to the option that will cost me the least, which is $4000, not including my monthly premiums. That still seems like a lot to me, but it's not the end of the world. After it's all said and done, I think I may actually pay more than I would without insurance, but it's nice knowing I have some peace of mind. For our next kiddo, I'll be at my new job, and will be covered by maternity insurance, so hopefully I won't have to pay quite as much. It's ridiculous, though, that women who are self-employed or work for companies that don't offer health insurance have so few options when it comes to maternity insurance!

Me
#17 of 17 Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

Just popping in to say I'm so excited to see other mamas from WBWC! I had DS there earlier this year and loved it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page