Jury Duty in Durham, NC - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone remind me how to be excused from this, please?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Oh, honey, they're not too flexible, iirc. Julie C. dealt with this, you might want to see what she did--I can't remember.

If it's any consolation, I've been called for jury duty twice in Durham and never actually had to go. Maybe you'll get lucky.
#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2009, 07:37 PM

If you're the primary care giver to your children, aren't you excused just by sending in or calling in with that info??? They can't make you go if you have no where for your children to go!!! NOw that I say this I will be called but I have never been called for jury duty in NC. I was in Fl but I was a nanny and the primary care giver at the time as the parents were out of town! I was excused just by sending in the form with the call notice!

#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM

If you're breastfeeding you can automatically be excused in OR. Not sure if that's the same nationally, but when I was called I just put on my summons card that I was currently breastfeeding an infant, if that even applies in your case...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#5 of 9 Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Not in Durham, but Raleigh. Or maybe Wake County-I can't remember. They just excused me last week because Delaney had a stomach virus with fever and couldn't go to school. I wasn't sure what to do and called them the night before and they excused me. I will go back into the pool for next year, but at least it buys me another year.
#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM

#7 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Gunter, are you still working on it? I've been called in Orange County a couple of times. I actually served the last time since my littlest one is now 5. Before that, though, I just filled out the form on the back and said I was a nursing mom and primary caregiver to two young children. I didn't list their ages. I didn't want to get any flack for nursing a 2 yr old. I had no problems.

There's a website that deals with this and it has a lot of info for all the different states and federal jurisdictions. I believe it is www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org . There are some states where practically nothing will do for an excuse!

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM

I just did jury duty last month in DUrham county. I couldn't figure out a way out. So my dh planned to take the day off work to stay with 2 kids (one is nursing but only 2x/day, not like that's a great excuse). SO I went in, sat in the jury pool room for about 4 hours, then we were all excused and sent home because the judges apparently didn't need any new jury members that day. Whew! The lady in charge of jury duty folks is very nice, so you could call and just talk to her and see if you have a "valid excuse" or you could go on the day you've been called and when they do the screening before selecting people, you would have to tell them your limitations.

Good luck.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I called and LMOM. Then, I sent the letter back stating that I am a primary care giver to two young children and one is breastfeeding.

You'd think being a doula or a midwife would be worthy of exemption as well!

I will let you all know what I hear back from them.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page