S Carolina preschool education programs ??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in Maine and have a client planning to move to SC this spring. They have a 3 yo with an autism dx. In Maine, this qualifies him for special education services coordinated by a state run agency. Can anyone tellme what organization runs this type of program in your state? I am having a hard time finding information online and my attempts to get information about this from what I believe is the 0-2 program (babynet) has been unsuccesful.

I'd love to be able to help them know what is out there for him before they move. THANKS

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, kids with an autism dx are eligible for state-funded services in SC. From what I've heard in the waiting room of the therapy center, your children can get Medicaid to cover their therapies regardless of the family's financial need - although that is easier or harder depending on the case worker you end up with. Apply at a Social Security office for this.

Additionally, the school dustricts provide services to preschool-aged kids with autism dxes. Here is the contact page for Greenville County: http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd...sped/index.asp and I'm sure that if your clients call they can get ciontact info for SpedEd offices in other counties if they can't find it online.

Where I live, and I suspect throughout the state, there are are both nice facilities and scary-as-hell facilities located next to courthouses, loan sharks and gun stores (no exaggeration). We use the facility in downtown Greenville: http://www.cdservices.org/ People drive long distances to use this facility.

In Greenville County, free public 4K is provided for kids with a range of identified special needs. The starting point for this is a Child Find screening. This program may or may not be a good fit - it will vary from class to class. In this county at least, the free 4K is also used as an EI service for kids with no organic disorder who are at-risk because they are being neglected. I don't know how it works in other counties.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page